PDA

View Full Version : The helpful post...

chris g
28-10-2010, 07:56 PM
With the old system of Reputation you could give positive rep' and state it in the thread but it was so much more fun to get negative Rep' without being told that it had been done, by whom or why...

Until you discovered it amongst the personal bio/profile stuff - found my negative rep' by accident - quite an interesting read...

And I never thought of doing that at all, I usually made comment in a post so that it was clear that the post/thread was perhaps unjustifed, unfair or racist as has been evident at times

And now we have the 'helpful post' feedback...

Suddenly a 'notification' or three that a post has been considered unhelpful - no comment or feedback...

It seems that disagreeing with a post or with a thread may now result in lots of 'unhelpful' feedback...

I just wonder if we are losing the ability to give feedback within a thread and debate differences, resulting in anonymous judgement and notification of our unhelpful ways...

This is just as bad as the negative rep' technique...

I can imagine eager clicks on 'unhelpful' for any post/individual who is at odds with another person or thread...

Conflict about not using cone filters, use of AMSOIL, additives, BOV's, unbelievable RR figures or whatever

Maybe I am out of step, my instinct about this may be wrong, and other sites may be doing it but IMO not such a good feature of the Forum...

bradc
28-10-2010, 07:59 PM
*gives rep*

BraindG
28-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Abuse of the system (including reputation system) will not be accepted, this has been noted in the T&C's and infractions will be awarded should this be the case.

The idea behind (although not documented yet) is that it will help people in Technical area (and only the technical area, which should be for random chit chat anyways) of the site know which answers/response from other members are valid and/or helped solve an issue - For one this will also allow easy movement between forum and resource area i.e. if 10 people say yes this is the answer that solved my issue then that's the question and answer that will be moved to the resource library. New people coming along to the site who find a thread (using similair threads) will be able to easily scroll through a thread, find the response which was the most helpful and start there with their investigations into their issue - that’s the idea anyways.

UPDATED: I can remove the negative notification feature but that’s not the point, this system is designed to help others know which is the right answer and which isn't within the technical area of the site.

Reputation is something completely different and is a tool used to show a members overall input to the site, rather that input to an individual thread/technical question.

elnevio
28-10-2010, 08:07 PM
It's only threads in the technical area (e.g. VR-4 Questions, etc.) that have the 'helpful posts' function activated at present. Not that it's a trial - it's just there at the moment.