PDA

View Full Version : Siezed/Sticky Caliper

Kieran
15-09-2004, 11:40 PM
Chaps,

I think Hordak's offside front caliper is a bit sticky :dozey: . I sometimes hear faint brake rubbing/squealing sounds after I've released the pedal... You know the sort.... "eee......eee....eee....eee..." :rolleyes5

It's on the ever growing list o' things to do, but what's the best way of freeing a caliper up, anyone?

The Vee
16-09-2004, 12:11 AM
Remove wheel and then release lower bolt to swing back caliper (the way you normally change pads) Pistons now exposed and require to be pushed back in caliper. Be careful not to let one piston come out as you push the other back. If you can squeeze them both back together with say a large pair of jeddors or similar so much the bettter. Mind you don't overflow your brake fluid reservoir as they go back. also check pads are seized on anti rattle shims. clean as nec. Some folk may recommend a little copperslip on back of pads and edges (NOT on any part of the friction material). don't over do it. then reassemble. before moving car at all pump brake pedal to bring pistons back in contact with pads. you will have no brakes till you have done this. Don't forget you must be completely assembled before you pump pedal - don't want those pistons to pop out !!!
Nearly forgot, while it's in bits check then slide bolts themselves are not seized

Do take care though - if in doubt take it to someone who's familier with brakes. They are the most important part of the car !!