PDA

View Full Version : Front Bumper

I-S
16-09-2004, 08:48 PM
I need a new front bumper....

I'm sure some of you guys have experienced this... it's easy to misjudge the nose of the galant when parking. Get it over a kerb, reverse and the bumper digs in like a barb.

Yes, I've cracked it. It's not very noticeable, and some duct tape is keeping it from flapping about or anything, but I want a new one.

Any suggestions? Mitsi want £210+VAT for one unpainted. Sel-imperial want £146 for the same thing, but there's two versions according to mitsu. I assume the difference is the headlamp washer cutouts?

Any ideas on how much it will cost to have painted (Finesse Green metallic)?

Also, when I did the bumper in, I've lost one of the little triangular reflectors that sits next to the foglamp. Does anyone have a spare, or do I go to get my wallet trampled by mitsu again?

Pic below for reference (as to the bumper style, reflector I'm talking about, etc)

Kieran
16-09-2004, 09:42 PM
I need a new front bumper....

I'm sure some of you guys have experienced this... it's easy to misjudge the nose of the galant when parking. Get it over a kerb, reverse and the bumper digs in like a barb.

Yes, I've cracked it. It's not very noticeable, and some duct tape is keeping it from flapping about or anything, but I want a new one.

Any suggestions? Mitsi want £210+VAT for one unpainted. Sel-imperial want £146 for the same thing, but there's two versions according to mitsu. I assume the difference is the headlamp washer cutouts?

Any ideas on how much it will cost to have painted (Finesse Green metallic)?

Also, when I did the bumper in, I've lost one of the little triangular reflectors that sits next to the foglamp. Does anyone have a spare, or do I go to get my wallet trampled by mitsu again?

Pic below for reference (as to the bumper style, reflector I'm talking about, etc)

I feel for you mate - I did this to my GLS too! :(:$

I have a printed Sel-Imperial catalogue here, and the bumper they list is the 1996-1999 pre-facelift version, so you're in luck. There are two versions of the bumper. My GLS was the other sort (post facelift).

As regards paint and reflectors, not sure - don't know of any bodyshops in your neck of the woods....

I-S
16-09-2004, 09:48 PM
The issue I have with sel-imperial one is that the pic on their site shows it without headlamp washer cut-outs, and I have seen some GLS without headlamp washers. Is it as simple as the bodyshop drilling a hole or two in it to mount the washers?

Mitsu gave me details of the bodyshop they use (they don't do it in-house), so they'll have the mitsu paints and stuff I guess. Just wanted an approx idea of what it would cost. Might get the bonnet done at the same time (Yes, the old galant bugbear...).

Kieran
16-09-2004, 09:51 PM
The issue I have with sel-imperial one is that the pic on their site shows it without headlamp washer cut-outs, and I have seen some GLS without headlamp washers. Is it as simple as the bodyshop drilling a hole or two in it to mount the washers?

On an OEM or pattern replacement bumper, I'd say that it is indeed probably a case of drilling. I suppose you could verify this by removing one of the washer jets and seeing what's behind it. I bet the hole is just a simple circle.

To be honest, I bet the bodyshop would just drill a tiny hole for the water line and actually bond the jet housing to the bumper rather than bugger about trying to get an accurate cut anyway.

I-S
16-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Cheers for the help!