PDA

View Full Version : Help!! No Lights on auto selector and stuck in one gear + reverse

sanct
02-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Just driving home in my VR4 (FL auto) and I noticed the lights had gone out on the gear selection indicator on the dash.
Then pulling up at some lights noticed it seems to be stuckin maybe 4th.
Have just got home and the lights are still out on the dash but I seem to be able to get reverse too.

Please help!!

Much appreciated in advance

horndog
02-11-2010, 11:09 PM
When Mine got stuck in (3rd) gear it was a low oil level issue, check for the ATF level and look for any obvious leaks

sanct
02-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Ah ok.. did you resolve the issue with more oil or you found a leaK?

horndog
02-11-2010, 11:17 PM
I had a broken Jubilee clip on the oil cooler which pushed the hose off and dumped about 5L of ATF out,

The car went into "limp home mode" and left itself in 3rd.
Reconnecting the hose and topping up the oil and the car ran like a dream.

There could be other issues - there are a couple of threads in the forums but oil level is the easy check

sanct
02-11-2010, 11:20 PM
I'm just wondering why the lights on the dash indicating gear have gone off? Did yours? Is that safe mode?

horndog
02-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Ah, mine had a flashing "N" so was a little different - perhaps someone else may be able to offer other advice, but the oil level is a quick check

sanct
02-11-2010, 11:24 PM
cheers mate

sanct
02-11-2010, 11:37 PM
still can't find anything to help using search... bad nights sleep ahead I think.
Will phone Ben at Eurospec first thing...

I just want to know if the lights going out on the dash could mean its an ECU thing?

sanct
02-11-2010, 11:56 PM
bump

sanct
03-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Bad nights sleep AAAARRRG!
So what do people think is the most likely problem?
-The lights are out on the dash indicating what gear I am in
- I am stuck in third(maybe 4th) but can still get reverse (no other gears)
- I can still put her in neutral
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks

Sorry stressed I think this post is in the wrong place

Wodjno
03-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Have you checked the level and condition of oil ?

GalantOnly
03-11-2010, 12:53 PM
You need to check you inhibitor switch /yes

Ghost_2008
03-11-2010, 01:11 PM
If you look between the battery plastic wall and the air intake snorkle you should see a dip stick and just below that what looks like a protractor....... check the level of the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) the dip stick is very difficult to read, so wipe it clean and reinsert and remove as you would you engine oil, the fluid should be cherry red and if cold or hot as indicated on the dip stick. If the fluid is dirty brown then it's passed its best and needs changing........ that may resolve the issue

Alternatively the protractor look alike might be stuck........

Our Auto box's have a "limp home mode", the box puts itself in 3rd gear and will not change up or down, this can be caused by bad fluid or low level. You can still select neutral and reverse but it will not cycle through the gears while in drive or tip mode.......

My gear box recently went, 1st time it was stripped splines from somewhere, then the second box was clutch packs........ the first time I had no warning it just went, second time I go a flashing "N" two flashes per second......... but the lights still work........ seeing as your lights are off it sounds like you may have a problem with teh selector..........

Good luck

Davezj
03-11-2010, 02:28 PM
if it is not the selector switch, Check for where the selector cable clamps to the gear box, that bracket has been known to snap and then gear selection is impossible. however that does not explain why the gear indicator light is not working.

are you sure the "N" light worked before this issue started as it is the "N" light that would be flashing when in limp mode.

Eurospec
03-11-2010, 03:14 PM
I recon thats a TCU power feed issue. When the TCU doesnt power up, you get no lights at all, and it just goes in 3rd or reverse.

Cheers,

Ben.

sanct
03-11-2010, 06:18 PM
I recon thats a TCU power feed issue. When the TCU doesnt power up, you get no lights at all, and it just goes in 3rd or reverse.

Cheers,

Ben.

/notworthy /notworthy /notworthy /notworthy /notworthy /notworthy /notworthy /notworthy
Spot on Ben.
Thanks for the info this morning.
I will phone you at the end of week to book in a service if you aren't fully booked up next week.

Thanks everyone else for all the advice.

I changed the fuse that the TCU shares with the reverse light and wahey :)
Would this be caused by a faulty reversing bulb blowing the fuse or just an old fuse?