PDA

View Full Version : Standard solenoid spikes

Legnum Boy
17-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Using my AVC-R as a boost gauge, i have noticed a disturbing occurrance.
Although, through constant low rev to high rev acceleration, I am holding a nice .55 bar (+-.05), On kickdown, and at very high revs, I have on three occasions in one day, recorded boost spikes over 1 bar, the highest being 1.14 @ 100+mph.

Do you think these are accurate readings, and if so, will fitting the new solenoid calm these spikes, allowing me to raise the standard boost, without blowing something up??

:sad3: :rolleyes5 :sad3: :rolleyes5

Spirit
17-09-2004, 09:34 AM
Cannot comment on the accuracy of your readings, however I can say from experience of using an electronic boost controller that spikes do occur and it is suprising the difference things like ambient temperatures make.

Often on hotter days I get boost spikes - I run at 1.0bar max usually, but can spike to 1.06 - 1.10 at times and then turn the controller back to about 0.9 to compensate - can be frustrating especially at things like Trax when the heat made me spike bad on my 0-60 runs and the EBC knocks the boost back which ultimately slows the 0-60 time.

Not sure if a new solenoid would fix the problem, however you always have the ECU fuel cut as a fail safe to protect your engine.....well in theory anyway.

Legnum Boy
17-09-2004, 08:00 PM
The thing is, these are the readings from the standard set up.
I havent actually installed the apexi solenoid yet, just using the pressure sensor as a boost gauge.

Anyone know why the spikes are so high with the standard set up?
Is something worn?

I will be installing the apexi solenoid as soon as I have confirmed that the right hoses are being cut. Im hoping that it reduces the current spikes, or I may have trouble raising the boost period... :(

I will get a piccy of the boost graph, and you can see what I mean.

brb.. ;)