PDA

View Full Version : What tuning bits are out there for V6 Sport & Elegance?

adamvortex
06-11-2010, 02:01 AM
What tuning bits and bobs is on the market for the galant v6 sport & v6 elegance? all the mags,web sites etc list everything for the tt vr4 model.:rolleyes4
can anyone put me in the right direction for exhaust systems, remaps and just general tuning advice if you have got a sport or elegance

elnevio
06-11-2010, 02:19 AM
Very little indeed.

The factory mapping on the V6 is actually very good. A decat, free-flowing exhaust and uprated panel filter will help a fair bit, but the exhaust is generally a bespoke jobbie (e.g. Longlife, Powerflow, etc.). One of the best things you can do is to change the oil, and ensure you're running a high quality fully-synthetic oil. And add a VR-4 front strut brace to help handling and turn-in massively!

adamvortex
06-11-2010, 11:23 AM
thanks for you input elnevio! i thought the exhaust was a custom job,which is not that bad as i found a place in leicester through ebay,a full cat back system for £249.99 fitted.
as for oil what is the best for these v6 engines?? strut brace is a must,as i lowerd my sport 40mm it did feel a bit loose on the front,when going heavy into corners.

elnevio
06-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Amsoil 5w-30 or 15w-40 would be my choices. As long as it is a proper full synthetic (i.e. 'ester' base stocks used, rather than a 'cracked' one, although this is less important without turbos) and in the same approximate range is I've mentioned, it would be up to the job and long-lasting.

bradc
06-11-2010, 08:04 PM
A decat will help out a bit, and you can make the ignition timing a bit more aggressive too but you'll need an ECU for that and that will be fairly expensive.

sonicsoundzdj
17-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Does anyone know if these fit on the v6? or are they just for a vr4

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s1400p7593

HMG1K
17-12-2010, 11:23 PM
The front strut brace that Nev suggests is a winner - made a huge difference to my V6, very noticeable turning at speed.

Rambaud
18-12-2010, 11:16 AM
The front strut brace that Nev suggests is a winner - made a huge difference to my V6, very noticeable turning at speed.

Agreed. A front strut brace is a worthwhile addition.

I put in Castrol 0W-30 for the first service after I bought my car (July 2010). Then a full flush and refilled with Silkolene Pro S 5W-30 last month.

I am contstantly surprised how smooth and quiet the Mitsi V6 (no tappet noise so far), but with a nice "growl" when revved a bit. :)

The Vee
18-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Does anyone know if these fit on the v6? or are they just for a vr4

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s1400p7593

Probably not. The V6 one is longer and the flanges are not offset like the VR4. Having said that your pic looks like it can twist and slide in the middle under that clamp, but whether it would actually extend long enough I don't know.

e5dcb
15-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Cant these ecus be mapped? Or even a piggy back chip added? Once i get mine i will see if my mate who maps evos can do anything. Geekmapper. Do these have a odb port under driverside dash? Seen on here though a guy with 200hp from his v6 with little mods.

elnevio
15-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Yes, that was a bit of an anomaly. Don't believe it was repeated.

They do have an OBD port, but not they are not OBD protocol. They use Mitsi's own, which is normally accessed through a MUT-II or MUT-III. :)

It is apparent that the factory map on the N/A 6A13 is actually pretty good, with decent AFRs throughout the range, unlike the VR-4, where richness is the order of the day!

Don't let us stop your mate from trying though! I'm sure that any advances in this area would be well received. /yes

adamvortex
16-01-2011, 10:56 PM
200bhp from v6-24v very interesting, i will have to have a search for that post i could do with a bit more power

ritch_w
17-01-2011, 09:14 AM
going way back..... there was a german bloke (Twisty??) who had a 200bhp v6 estate he used round the Ring. IIRC he fitted cams, a map or changed ECU, and freed up the breathing (filter & exhaust)

e5dcb
18-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Is this the one on youtube, not sure if it was the same car? silver saloon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urJR_0-ESfE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

WRC at Silverstone - Also a well known iffy rollers lol A few Evo boys had odd readings from there... Place is shut now .

e5dcb
18-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Don't let us stop your mate from trying though! I'm sure that any advances in this area would be well received. /yes

Will have a go.. Only really worth it once filter and exhaust have been changed and poss a few mods on TB and Airbox.. Then try and change the map a tad.. I have Evo scan and Ecu flash on my lappy from when we mapped my Evo so will have a go see if we can read the map off the ecu...

ritch_w
18-01-2011, 10:11 PM
that video is slimshady from here.

the german bloke had a red estate, but this is going back to 2003/4 back in the early days of clubvr4!

chris g
18-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Yes it was Twist in Germany and really flew around the Ring in that car...

I was never certain exactly what he had done to it...

e5dcb
19-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Taken off one of his posts...

The engine takes ram air, a modified air filter the head is modiefied, sport cams and biger tubes more fuel and a bigger exaust system with out catalysator.
this brings around 200 ps at 6500u/min and 250nm torke at 4700 u/min .

Sounds about right for the mods.