PDA

View Full Version : What now ?

Spirit
18-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Looking at springs, and have established that HKS no longer make/sell theirs ! Their last four sets for the VR4's were sold to Co-ordsport on 2003. I called them and they have all been sold now (wonder who too - they could not tell me :sad3: ).

Anyhow, after that disappointment I need to come up with a possible alternative. I know Derek has PI springs, but could not see these listed for the VR4 - just the standard V6's. Does this matter - how you finding them Derek ?
Any other ideas (dont want coilovers).

Kieran
18-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Do Eibach list them? I'd plump for these on the basis that they're progressive.... So when you're pottering about, you're on soft spring rates, and they only firm up under load, so you get decent cornering too.

As you know, they seem to be the springs o'choice amongst the V6 Sport Crew! :-b

adam_shaw
18-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Something from the German accessories catalogue (sorry about the scan quality :( )

Rough translation;

The kit drops by 30mm, for driving dynamics and look. For Kombi (wagon) models after model year 1999 the complete suspension must be changed(Springs and Dampers) [something about checking the serial number]

Can be used with any original Mitsi wheels/tyre combination.

Not for self mounting [I think ]

For all galants

A

Wodjno
18-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Looking at springs, and have established that HKS no longer make/sell theirs ! Their last four sets for the VR4's were sold to Co-ordsport on 2003. I called them and they have all been sold now (wonder who too - they could not tell me :sad3: ).

Anyhow, after that disappointment I need to come up with a possible alternative. I know Derek has PI springs, but could not see these listed for the VR4 - just the standard V6's. Does this matter - how you finding them Derek ?
Any other ideas (dont want coilovers).
If your not in a rush , read this and see what u think ?? Taken from other thread posted by myself yesterday .. :)

Thanks to Da bear .. Just had another look at them and they look quite sexy .. And even gonna look better once it's been dumped .. Just recently remembered about an old mate of mine that i ain't seen for years who own's his own Spring making business .. Makes every spring from the ones u find in watches to the ones you find in lorrys .. Had a search on the Web earlier today and found that he is still up and running .. so i am gonna give him a visit here in Peterborough next week and see if he can make up a set of spring s for the VR4 . Gonna have to take a load of dimensions and weight measurements , so any info that anyone might think i need is much appreciated .. Obviously if he can help then there is a great opportunity for the whole of club VR4 to dump there Galant . Will keep u all posted ..

dickytim
21-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Damn I had a reference chart the other day for VR4 springs including rates, Recomender Shocks including brand names and part numbers, but cant for the life of me find it now

enigma
21-09-2004, 11:39 AM
I like my coil overs! :-b :D Would be nice to have adjustable shocks as well but I would never change them! :rolleyes5

Spirit
21-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Well I have been digging around and today spoke to Tein in the UK as they list stuff for the VR4's on their Jap site - of course Barry has the full kit.

They list some for the Legnum and advised me to check that they are the same for the saloon as they are not marked as tested on them - I am guessing this is fine right ?

They reckon they can get from Japan in about 2 weeks and have offered me the option of soft and medium springs:

Loads - Soft = 3.9kg (F) and 2.7kg(R), Medium = 4.9kg(F) and 3.3kg(R) - either set drops the car by 25mm(F) and 28mm(R)

He advised me the mediums are probably best is some track racing is involved.

Anyone's comments ? I now have to order them from a dealer as not allowed to order direct :sad3: :rolleyes5

Polabear
21-09-2004, 12:15 PM
Well I have been digging around and today spoke to Tein in the UK as they list stuff for the VR4's on their Jap site - of course Barry has the full kit.

They list some for the Legnum and advised me to check that they are the same for the saloon as they are not marked as tested on them - I am guessing this is fine right ?

They reckon they can get from Japan in about 2 weeks and have offered me the option of soft and medium springs:

Loads - Soft = 3.9kg (F) and 2.7kg(R), Medium = 4.9kg(F) and 3.3kg(R) - either set drops the car by 25mm(F) and 28mm(R)

Anyone's comments ? I now have to order them from a dealer as not allowed to order direct :sad3: :rolleyes5

Are they progressive mate...?

Wodjno
22-09-2004, 06:45 PM

I posted the other day that i had sent a dozen os so e-mails off to varios companys regarding mods for our cars .. One of these companys was Tein and i have just received a reply , including fitment for our cars and also prices .. I have only received prices for suspension kits and i have re e-mailed them for fitment and cot and Drop for just springs .. What sort of prices did you get quoted .. ?

Spirit
22-09-2004, 11:16 PM
Not sure if they are progressive Sean - forgot to ask :$

Wodjno, I spoke direct to Tein UK and they refused to quote me a price and siad I had to go via a dealer so I have spoken to Wincanton Motor Sport and they are looking into it and will get back to me asap with a price delivered to my door.

Wodjno
23-09-2004, 12:05 AM
Not sure if they are progressive Sean - forgot to ask :$

Wodjno, I spoke direct to Tein UK and they refused to quote me a price and siad I had to go via a dealer so I have spoken to Wincanton Motor Sport and they are looking into it and will get back to me asap with a price delivered to my door.

Ok Pete .. I have PM'ed you details of prices and fitment that i received ..

Spirit
23-09-2004, 12:09 AM
Thanks mate, I will not be getting a full suspension set up (due to cost), so I will post up the springs price as soon as I get it.

Wodjno
23-09-2004, 12:16 AM
Thanks mate, I will not be getting a full suspension set up (due to cost), so I will post up the springs price as soon as I get it.
Just out of inquisitiveness i looked at the prices on the direct site in japan .. And converting Yen to pounds that first suspension set they list comes out at between £330 and £375 ..Thats £200 cheaper .. If only someway we can get our order in direct .. I'll keep plugging away :D

chris g
23-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Pete

IIRC jap kit is going to be harder even at 'soft' setting so be certain that you are not buying springs that may be too hard

Friends who bought MR2 suspension fell into same trap I believe

Chris

Spirit
23-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Thanks Chris - I will seek further advice before placing any order don't worry. ;)

Kieran
24-09-2004, 07:40 AM
IIRC jap kit is going to be harder even at 'soft' setting so be certain that you are not buying springs that may be too hard

I've heard of this too. Does anyone know the standard VR-4 spring & damping rates? May be useful when comparing against aftermarket stuff.

Wodjno
24-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Have just received e-mail back re springs .. they ain't cheap .. Think shipping cost are way to high too .. though these costs are based on 1 set not bulk order.

We have springs which again are special order.

Depending on what ride you are looking for. I would recommend the softer springs which lower by 25mm at the front and 28mm rear
S-Tech SKR42- S1B00.

List price £150 with maybe another £70/ £80 for shipping from Japan

Spring rates of these can be seen here .. http://www.tein.co.jp/stech2re.html I am trying to find out original spring rates of our cars , will keep you posted ..

Edit to original post .. Price quoted on Tein site is 23000yen which is equivellent to about £116 so i think theres some bartering to be done .. if anyone decides to go for them

Spirit
24-09-2004, 12:24 PM
Tein quoted me the code:

SKR42 - M1B00 for the mediums so I assume these codes are correct ;)

Those prices arn't too bad actually - the HKS SF5's were retailing around £215-230 a set, plus P+P if you had to mail order. Would be prepared to pay this knowing they are specifically designed for our chassis.

Looked on the link and it says "NOT compatible with self-leveling models." - WTF does this mean ?? All I know is we have double wishbone suspension on the front.

Wodjno
24-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Tein quoted me the code:

SKR42 - M1B00 for the mediums so I assume these codes are correct ;)

Those prices arn't too bad actually - the HKS SF5's were retailing around £215-230 a set, plus P+P if you had to mail order. Would be prepared to pay this knowing they are specifically designed for our chassis.

Looked on the link and it says "NOT compatible with self-leveling models." - WTF does this mean ?? All I know is we have double wishbone suspension on the front.

Self levelling suspension does exactly what it says on the box ..!! If you put weigt in say the back of the car , it go's down .. Obviously :dozey: .. But with self levelling it comes back up again .. Think it works on hydraulics .. it did on my old Citroen XM .. You find a lot of people go for this type of supension on loadluggers .. And also those MUPPETS who toe caravans behind them .. :laugh: :p Hope that makes sense Pete ..
:D

Nick Mann
24-09-2004, 01:20 PM
I was under the impression self-levelling suspension is basically self adjusting shocks. I assume they work hydraulically too. I was under the impression that they were only fitted to some estates (and only at the back!) but maybe I'm wrong.

If you have self levelling suspension, you kill the shocks quickly if you lower the car as they are constantly trying to get the cars ride height back to normal.

Spirit
24-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Sorry guys, I did not make my point clearly - I understand self levelling suspension but my point was that is says "NOT compatible with self-leveling models" on the specs for the springs for the VR4 ! Did not know there were any self levelling VR4's

Hope thats more sense ;)

Nick Mann
24-09-2004, 08:04 PM
Aha!

With you now! :$

Don't know is the short answer. I took mine on a booze cruise and it wasn't at full height. But then I did have £400 of assorted alcohol on board!! :lipsrseal

On the whole the ride height didn't change much, but the the suspension was relatively stiff.

That doesn't help at all, does it? :p

Wodjno
25-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Have just received e-mail back re springs .. they ain't cheap .. Think shipping cost are way to high too .. though these costs are based on 1 set not bulk order.

We have springs which again are special order.

Depending on what ride you are looking for. I would recommend the softer springs which lower by 25mm at the front and 28mm rear
S-Tech SKR42- S1B00.

List price £150 with maybe another £70/ £80 for shipping from Japan

Spring rates of these can be seen here .. http://www.tein.co.jp/stech2re.html I am trying to find out original spring rates of our cars , will keep you posted ..

Edit to original post .. Price quoted on Tein site is 23000yen which is equivellent to about £116 so i think theres some bartering to be done .. if anyone decides to go for them

Have just received some more reply's back regarding suspension .
They seem to be getting better , these prices i think are very good for what you are getting and they are also specific to our cars ... You can use the links below to access some detailed info on spring rates and drop ...

Regarding to coilover for your Legnum VR4 (EC5W), Tein has following suspension products for your car:

* Wagon Damper
Part # DSR42-U1SS2 w/o pillowball uppermount JPY 72.306 = £361.605
This coilover is for recreational and it provides comfort driving.
http://www.tein.co.jp/wadampe.html
http://www.tein.co.jp/wadamp2re.html

* NA Damper
Part # DSR42-M1SS2 w/o pillowball uppermount JPY 80.760 = £403.88
It can be used from the street to the circuit.
http://www.tein.co.jp/nadampe.html
http://www.tein.co.jp/nadamp2re.html

* HA Damper
Part # DSR42-K1SS1 w/ pillowball uppermount JPY 141.126 = £705.77
It is a street suspension. This has an adjustable function for its contaction level so that you can select your choice of damping force needed.
http://www.tein.co.jp/hadampe.html
http://www.tein.co.jp/hadamp2re.html

This company is in Indonesia and when i first contacted them they referred me to the uk based Tein company .. But i E-Mailed them saying that UK companies put to much of a price hike on the items and including tax it ultimately works out cheaper to import them.. Well you gotta give em some waffle otherwise you just get ignored .. Hope it's of some use anyway ..

Spirit
26-09-2004, 01:03 AM
Thanks mate, excellent info - however things may have taken a slightly different direction tonight - see my post in a bit called "an eventful evening at AP Motors" :sad3: