PDA

View Full Version : Wastegate

m4ttt
12-11-2010, 07:09 AM
hi guys, i own i 1996 legnum VR-4 with 5 speed tiptronic gearbox and i want to install an external wastegate, does anyone know what i should look for?

ILLEGAL
12-11-2010, 07:10 AM
do you just want the sound?

m4ttt
12-11-2010, 07:19 AM
pretty much haha

ILLEGAL
12-11-2010, 07:26 AM
that would be ILLEGAL. sorry i cannot recommend anything here in the public forum. ill PM you :P

m4ttt
12-11-2010, 07:30 AM
im new to this site today so were do i go to receive the message?

bradc
12-11-2010, 08:03 AM
You need two of them anyway.

Gly
12-11-2010, 10:21 AM
that would be ILLEGAL. sorry i cannot recommend anything here in the public forum. ill PM you :P

no you can plumb it to air, as long has its at the rear of the car :p

You need two of them anyway.

no you dont, it prob wont work very well, but you could just do one

VR4WGN
14-11-2010, 07:17 AM
Matty this you? if not sorry and welcome dude..

um i am running Twin Externals on Mine,done the proper way though with custom exhaust mani's and the alt has been removed and relocated,its good yes but seriously im either thinking or removing and restoring the entire setup to factory or plumb back with 2 AM gates into the exhaust as i cannot stand not boosting in silence,my head vibrates form the noise,, very unpleasant for me

ILLEGAL
14-11-2010, 09:13 AM
agree: it is good SOME TIMES. but not the whole time... re-doing my Gate so i can re-plumb for wof, and also so i can get a better "sleeper" theme from my car. but then can still dump into atmosphere for the drags and the odd occasion of reliving the boy racer in me.

maori_by_nature
23-11-2010, 05:47 AM
re-doing my Gate so i can re-plumb for wof, and also so i can get a better "sleeper" theme from my car. but then can still dump into atmosphere for the drags and the odd occasion of reliving the boy racer in me.

How??? i'm thinking of gate'n mine but was put off by having it either venting all the time or not at all...

ILLEGAL
23-11-2010, 06:54 AM
make two dump pipes.. one the gos from the gate, back into the exhaust via a 2 bolt flange. nice and quiet.

the second one for venting to atmosphere (VTA) will go from the gate straight to the ground.. and blank of the flange at the exhaust with a blanking plate. simple as bro

but as im restricted by room im having to just VTA again and will just blank the gate off for wofs (infinite boost!) but it should be safe as the wof guys dont go over 60kph any way and im not sure if its going to make boost at those sort of engine speeds anyway (TD06 25G)???

maori_by_nature
23-11-2010, 08:17 AM
ok ok ok let me rephrase that try explaining it as if you were talking to that maori that lived under the bridge in once were worriers lol... no really i dont get what you mean

ILLEGAL
23-11-2010, 09:05 AM
not sure if this helps... but its the best i can do???

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv88/2ILLEGAL/diagramofdumppipe.jpg

EDIT: when it says "cat" i mean car!!

gareth001
23-11-2010, 09:42 AM
You could also include this into the setup, meant for an exhaust cut-out, but don't see any reason why you couldn't put a Y piece from the wastegate and have these to open and close the VTA loop.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/badlanzhpe/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

maori_by_nature
23-11-2010, 10:23 AM
what dose it do to the air flow meter when you switch???? do you need to reset the ECU?

ILLEGAL
23-11-2010, 06:53 PM
You could also include this into the setup, meant for an exhaust cut-out, but don't see any reason why you couldn't put a Y piece from the wastegate and have these to open and close the VTA loop.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/badlanzhpe/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

seeing you will two of them...

# 1 to open when you want to dump too atmosphere
and
# 2 to close of the exhaust when the other is open

other wise it will be just like a open exhaust.. so the cost of this setup makes it not worth the effort.. easier, reliable and cheaper just to make the two pipes.

maori_by_nature: NO.

gareth001
23-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Well yes ILLEGAL, slightly more expensive - but then you are getting on the fly change over, from crusing with it as VTA to stealth mode ready for making mince meat of another unexpectant car...

ILLEGAL
24-11-2010, 04:02 AM
it would be easier and cheaper just to have a 2nd wastegate off the tee pipe.. then have a solinoid (same as a EBC solinoid) to stop the manifold/boost pressure going to the 2nd wastegate.. which will stop it from opening at any boost level, for a quiet setup.. then at a flick of a switch the solinoid will open and allow the manifold pressure to reach the wastegate, in turn opening it when boost is reached.

What ya think?

thfelipeth
24-11-2010, 04:47 AM
not sure if this helps... but its the best i can do???

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv88/2ILLEGAL/diagramofdumppipe.jpg

EDIT: when it says "cat" i mean car!! hahaha really like your explanation ILLEGAL.. mean! when you want it loud use the green pipe! lol

gareth001
24-11-2010, 10:20 AM
it would be easier and cheaper just to have a 2nd wastegate off the tee pipe.. then have a solinoid (same as a EBC solinoid) to stop the manifold/boost pressure going to the 2nd wastegate.. which will stop it from opening at any boost level, for a quiet setup.. then at a flick of a switch the solinoid will open and allow the manifold pressure to reach the wastegate, in turn opening it when boost is reached.

What ya think?

It would work, but not 100% would VTA - so guess depends on volume you are wanting. If I understand correct, you have two exits, one blocked and one recirculating - but when you open the VTA route the recirculating route is still open. Or would this need to be open for another reason? My understanding of the Turbo system is not that brilliant, but enough to explain the basics.

bradc
24-11-2010, 10:24 AM
All of this talk of routing gases through wastegates has me thinking of a tri turbo setup again, using the wastegated gas to spool up a gt35r before chopping across to it completely

ILLEGAL
24-11-2010, 11:13 AM
i did have a similar thought after seeing the yankies doing it to there DSM 4G's.. i think they use a single 16G td05 with a 60mm wastegate (or was there 2 off this turbo?) set to 10psi, both the gate/s and the turbo dump pipe feeds into a massive Schweitzer's turbine housing with a single 50mm 25-40psi wastegate

on the cold side: the Td05 sucks air through the AFM and compress's it into the front of the larger turbo, then the larger turbo compress's it into the intercooler and so on.

Sooo: there is no cut over point so to say as they both keep spinning at the same time. once the larger turbo comes on, the stress/load on the small turbo vanishes and is only free spinning and will no longer be producing boost as it stopped making boost at 10 psi all the exhaust should be diverted down the 60mm wastegate into the large turbo which will now have all the stress/load on its shaft...

..well thats the train of thought i followed in my head??? what do ya reckon.. twin TD03 into single GT30?? DO IT!!! :)

another thing i thought of while brain mulching was, introducing water injection between the 2 turbos, so the air from the small turbo is chilled before entering the large turbo in hand boosting productivity of charged air.

bradc
24-11-2010, 06:56 PM
I wasn't thinking of doing it that way as I would have thought sucking the air through the small turbos would hurt top end performance

apeman69
24-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Just play a sound clip on yer stereo... sorted!

ILLEGAL
25-11-2010, 07:40 AM
oops!! your correct.. i got the compressor side around the wrong way.. its like this...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/custom-fabrication/336541-my-compound-turbo-set-up.html