PDA

View Full Version : Wheel change!

Nick Mann
18-09-2004, 07:34 PM
For those of you that didn't know, my V6 came supplied to me with 2 alloys in pretty poor condition. I phoned mitsy with the part numbers of new wheels, to discover that 2 wheels would cost approx £340 or with tyres would cost £450. I was not impressed! I made it my mission today to try and find someone who could fix my buckled wheels.

I found someone - A1 Wheel Renovation, Bilston Road, Wolverhampton.

They had a look at the two offending wheels and said that one could be fixed relatively easily, one would take a bit more work. They quoted me £160. I was trying to work out what to do when the guy said - 'That wheel has also been sold badged as a team dynamics wheel. It is almost the same, have a look at this!'

£300 later and I have a brand new set of almost OE wheels. It may be boring that I have wheels that are almost the same, but I wanted to keep the car as original as possible because I want to sell it next year and go back to my turbos, but I also didn't want to have to tell the insurance company that I had changed the wheels. The guy at the garage assures me that as the wheels came from the same factory and are effectively the same wheel, the insurance company won't care.

Anyway, enough rambling, look at these - spot the difference!

The garage gave me a top service - pointed out where the car has been incorrectly jacked before and advised that the tracking may be slightly out. They suggested a four wheel alignment but can't offer to do that themselves. Highly reccommended!

Spirit
18-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Excellent news Nick, they look identical don't they ! And a bargain price too

HJM
19-09-2004, 12:10 AM
They look even better because the centre cap hides the fact that the wheels are poxy 4 studs :D (sorry for the dig,but always hated 4 studs - just says small/cheap car/manufacturer to me)

Seriously though, I had Team Dynamics on an old 528i SE (5 stud !)and they really gave the old 'shark-nose' a sporty look (quite tough alloy from what I remember).

Glad to hear your intensions for reunite with turbos :evil2:

Phil S
20-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Nick, are you interested in selling one or two of your old wheels? I've got one that is buckled/cracked and it's losing air. I might even be interested in one on the shagged ones as long as it's round !

Nick Mann
20-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Not sure. If they are not worth much, I was going to keep them as spares. What are they worth?

Phil S
20-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Mitsi want £170 per wheel without rubber or £190 with.......

Nick Mann
20-09-2004, 05:07 PM
They told me £142ish plus vat without rubber, £188ish plus vat with.

I got four wheels cheaper than two?! :rolleyes5

Let me think what they are worth to me.

Nick Mann
20-09-2004, 08:36 PM
See the 'For Sale' section for details on wheel sale.

Or Clicky here! (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5381)