PDA

View Full Version : VR-4 Steering Circle - Possible reason

KiwiTT
18-09-2004, 11:25 PM
I was reading a report by "Ralf Schumacher" about driving a F1 car on the street. He said his F1 car would get stuck at first roundabout. He said he only needs turn the wheel a quarter turn or so to get a full lock. Something about a more direct feel.

I have read that the EVOs have this problem too. Maybe it is because of this responsive feel to the steering we have a such a poor circle.

Wodjno
19-09-2004, 12:31 AM
A F1 car "would" get stuck at a roundabout on normal roads and would probably have to 3 point turn to negotiate it .. But this is because the lock on a F1 car is only a quater of 360 degrees and they don't need any more than this because of the size of the corners on the tracks that they drive .. Probably 1 of the tightest corners they have to negotiate is the left hander b4 the righthander going into the tunnel at the Monaco GP .. But this has nothing to do with why we on our galants and probably more on the VR4's have such a CARP turning circle .. The F1 cars are set up that way cos they do not need any more lock to negotiate the corners on the F1 circuit and this also makes the work rate for the driver much less .. And when they can be driving for upto 2hrs at there limits every bit of energy they can conserve is very important ... Our reason is down to .. 1] the length of our vehicles .. 2] I think it's something to do with the 4Wd system that we run that doesn't allow a very large lock to lock .. I'm sure there will be someone on the site with enuff knowledge to put this completely straight for you .. but this is my little bit to start with .. :rolleyes5

nick-f1
19-09-2004, 11:56 AM
I think its more to do with the front wheel drive shafts, the cv joints are very limited in movement, (and the need for longevity or you'd knock them out in a few thou miles) and this restricts the turning circle. Most front wheel drive cars have a crap turning circle, my rover 600 turbo was no exception altho not quite as bad as my legnum.

dickytim
26-09-2004, 07:01 AM
my legnum has a really small turning circle, when the handbrake is used, it loops around very well. Try it, just not on a buissy road, remember to keep the foot planted when you do it