PDA

View Full Version : Wastegate mods

ako
19-09-2004, 05:39 AM
I remember reading that a couple on here have tried it - Anyway, my wastegates are stock around 7psi - ish, and I'm loking to raise the pair of them to 12ish. How was it done - just lengthening the actuator with a couple of washers or something?

dickytim
17-01-2005, 07:25 AM
yeah, same question here.

Legnum Boy
17-01-2005, 07:37 AM
mmmm... this is probably not the best way to up the boost.
It was quite a popular way of raising boost in old 200sx circles, until the Bren Device MBC was perfected.

For just £30 or so, an MBC is a more adjustable, safer way to acheive what you desire. ;)

dickytim
17-01-2005, 07:51 AM
but can it be removed with out a trace quite easily ?

This is very inportant if I cook my engine and want to claim on warranty.

Do you have any info on the Bren device MBC ?

Legnum Boy
17-01-2005, 08:11 AM
AFAIK the valve is placed between the turbos and the standard solenoid. Get wirdy or someone to confirm this.
You do have to cut a boost hose, but if you wanted to hide any trace of the device, you could always take the original hose off and use new hose for the install. Heaven forbid, should you need to change things back, it would be quite easy then.

Here's a link to a uk ebay sale of the sort of device I mean.

clicky (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32094&item=7948246168&rd=1)

There's many different ones, but they all work on the same principle.
I'm sure there's ones local to you. ;)

Legnum Boy
17-01-2005, 08:14 AM
.... and an absolute must for a device like this is.....

A DECENT boost gauge....http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/images/smilies/yes.gif

nick-f1
17-01-2005, 10:00 AM
With the mbc( a simple pneumatic valve) that wirdy and myself have used there's no need to cut hoses. you just tap into the tee-piece from the Maf pipe . So mbc can be removed in minutes........ BUT a boost gauge must be fitted first! This is also easy ..... the hard bit is threading boost pipe up thru dashboard.

EdmundVR4
18-01-2005, 03:32 AM
I remember reading that a couple on here have tried it - Anyway, my wastegates are stock around 7psi - ish, and I'm loking to raise the pair of them to 12ish. How was it done - just lengthening the actuator with a couple of washers or something?

Ako has the right idea, I installed 4 washers on each actuator and my stock boost has raised from 7 psi to 10 psi. Boost is rock solid...more reliable than my Apexi AVC-R which seems to spike to a couple of psi over where I've set it.

Kenneth
18-01-2005, 03:49 AM
Ako has the right idea, I installed 4 washers on each actuator and my stock boost has raised from 7 psi to 10 psi. Boost is rock solid...more reliable than my Apexi AVC-R which seems to spike to a couple of psi over where I've set it.

where abouts exactly did you put the washers?

EdmundVR4
19-01-2005, 02:21 AM
Actually, I have never seen my turbos'...I had my mechanic install the washers...4 on each turbo. I presume there would only be one place to put them. As Ako said in the first post " just lengthening the actuator with a couple of washers or something?" That should be it.

Legnum Boy
19-01-2005, 02:52 AM
This sounds far too vague to even be considered at this point.
It also sounds like a lot of work (two turbos, poor access, heatshields, boostpipes, fiddly washers etc etc.
Surely a bren device/ MBC is a far more, practical, controllable, safer way to go..... :|

I will have a browse for exact details, but Im sure the washers are placed between the actuator arm and the wastegate, so the force required to open the wastegate is increased.

ako
19-01-2005, 03:38 AM
Problem being with the valve method is that it can cause spiking - which is undesireable in any situation. I'll try it out on my "experimental" car at some point I think. If you thought a 6A12/13 was hard to work on, try a honda city turbo :P

Kenneth
19-01-2005, 03:42 AM
Info on shim method here (http://www.supras.nl/view.php?page=modsBoost.htm)

There is even a pic.