PDA

View Full Version : Noisy creaking suspension

GroundControl
17-11-2010, 06:07 AM
A few weeks ago I got some Ralliart springs and Monroe shocks from Gly, which we installed and all seemed fine initially.

Couple of things I've noticed after a few weeks of use:

Front right is creaking with suspension movement (e.g. when coming to a halt and the suspension gets loaded up, then unloaded as you stop). Initially noticed it a couple of weeks after installation mainly just when stopping/going over judder bars, but its been getting progressively noisier to the point that now you can hear it creaking as you drive along.
Clunking when going over bumps. When driving over rough ground (e.g. cattle stops, sharp judder bars) it clunks a bit - don't recall this happening with the old ones.

Any thoughts/comments/ideas?

It's due a service next week anyway, so I might ask them to have a look at it then, but any input appreciated :)

Subaru ETA
17-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Obviously check the ball joints and sway bar links first. Then have a look at where the spring seats on the shock. Spray some spray lube in there and see what happens

Ghost_2008
17-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Usually a sign that the bushes have passed their best, the ball joint usually knock when steering, but the bushes can cause creeking......... all the movement involved in swapping the suspension components could have caused them to let go..........

If the shocks and springs looked cool before fitting and perform well during use, give them a good soaking in WD40 and see what happens........ it cant hurt.........

Also check the top mounts are all tightened correctly, an other member had an unexplained knock, turned out to be a loose bolt on the top mount..........

Gly
17-11-2010, 10:20 PM
i would have to agree with the ball joint theory,
now that the car is lower, it will be putting more stress on these components

some things that appear fine at stock ride hight are more apparent when lowered,

the shocks only had 10thou km on them, and the springs didnt appear to have any probs when fitted

GroundControl
18-11-2010, 02:33 AM
Thanks guys - I did put a spanner on the top mounts and they all seemed tight. Will get Mitsi to have a look at it when it's in for a service next week.

Kenneth
18-11-2010, 02:50 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that if you lowered the car a fair bit, then if you didn't loosen the bolts which go through the rubber bushes, then the bushes may have been forced to twist to take up the new static ride hight. In some cases, they will even tear.

Not sure it would cause any squeaking, but it does ruin the suspension arms and may fail warrant.

Gly
18-11-2010, 03:26 AM
it was only a 20mm or so drop on ralli art springs nothing massive or extreme, and near new monroes,

only time ive had creaking suspension was in the ST, and the front upper A-arm had bent