PDA

View Full Version : Legnum rear quarter window moulding removal/refit or replacement

eyeballprawn
18-11-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm getting some paint done to a rear corner, and the painter would prefer to remove the plastic moulding around the rear quarter window so he can neatly paint under it without getting a hard masked up edge.

I'm talking about the large side window of the cargo area that has the antenna in it (not the little window in the door).

Looking through ASA it seems the moulding around that glass isn't available separately. Does this mean that in order to replace that trim, the whole window needs to be purchased and replaced?

Can the existing window + moulding somehow be carefully removed and refitted without damaging anything?

Atik
18-11-2010, 03:22 PM
That window and the rubber trim is bonded into place, most likely with the same type of stuff used to bond windshield. It's very difficult to get off without cracking and shattering it. My best suggestion would be to use a hot air gun or hairdrier to heat up the rubber seal and make it soft and place something flat in the gap which will keep the rubber raised from the bodywork. That way paint can get under it just enough for the hard edge not to occur.

eyeballprawn
19-11-2010, 01:08 AM
Well that's a right bugger.. if only I could get the plastic separately, then they'd probably just break off the old moulding and replace it.

elnevio
19-11-2010, 01:24 AM
Speak to an auto windscreens place, they can probably tell you. Or maybe charge a small fee for doing the job?

GalantOnly
19-11-2010, 02:56 AM
THE PLASTIC MOULDING IS THE PART OF THE WINDOW - YOU CAN'T SEPARATE THEM!
And it's exactly the same glue for rear quaters as for the windscreen and you must use the same procedure as windscreen removal. I use the air "high frequency" knife. If you'll use the piano wire, you will break the glass after couple of minuttes and damage the paint...

Atik
19-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Remember also, that the front windshield glass is different to the glass in the rear quarter. The windshield is normally composed of glass with a plastic laminate on the inside. The rear quarter wont be like that. They would normally be made of tempered glass that shatters into loads of tiny peices.

Windsheilds have a tiny bit of give in the flexibility before they crack/shatter, but tempered glass wont. So you will find it very difficult to remove the rear quarter without breaking it.

BEG4ME
19-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Remember also, that the front windshield glass is different to the glass in the rear quarter. The windshield is normally composed of glass with a plastic laminate on the inside. The rear quarter wont be like that. They would normally be made of tempered glass that shatters into loads of tiny peices.

Windsheilds have a tiny bit of give in the flexibility before they crack/shatter, but tempered glass wont. So you will find it very difficult to remove the rear quarter without breaking it.

Yup. Definitely shatters into tiny little squares. Learnt that thanks to some ****er with a rock.

eyeballprawn
27-11-2010, 01:49 AM
Thanks for your input everyone, I will pass on the info to the painter.