PDA

View Full Version : Issues with ´01 Legnum Taillights

SpoonCivic
20-11-2010, 10:22 AM
I recently imported a 2001 Legnum VR-4 from Japan to Finland where I live.
I'm currently in the process of registering it. The authorities are giving me an hard time about the Taillights currently fitted on the FL Legnum (OEM Lights). They are neither E-approved nor DOT/SAE approved...

Is there currently any lights in the world suiting FaceLift Legnum that is E or DOT/SAE-approved?

Ralliart were "official" importer of VR-4s to UK around year 2000-2002:ish. How was this issue with Legnums Taillights solved? The UK is a part of EU as is Finland... The same rules should apply to both. Is there any "UK only"-spec lights for FL Legnum or is it maybe possible to get a certificate from Ralliart/Mitsi UK proving E-conformity?

Beastlee
20-11-2010, 12:12 PM
I believe that the standard tail-lights are approved but the markings are hidden on the casing instead of on the lens. I've never seen any tester check for the E or DOT/SAE markings during an MoT. When I changed my headlights to EU spec the markings were on the lenses but the stock JDM had the markings on top of the housing, under the bodywork.

GalantOnly
20-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Lee, the reason why they never check e-marks, because you've bought UK-reg car :) And if the car were registered in EU once, you can take it to any other EU countries afterwards and registrate it without any e-marks problems

In UK, there was possibility of Single Vehicle Approval (SVA). It means that they don't have to change anything and just put the car on the road as it is. You can't do that in Finland...
I know it's too late now Carl, but you should have bought the UK-registred Legnum and not directly from Japan...

GalantOnly
20-11-2010, 12:49 PM
But you can try to make the hybrid between PFL and FL tail lights somehow - PFL "glass" and FL housing... It's not easy, cause you can't take them apart as you can with the headlights, but anything is possible :)

Kryton
20-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Only way I can think of getting round this would be to buy uk tailgate & rear lights from a pre-face lift car just to get it registered. Sould be able to pick them up cheap enough from the uk as any from a gls / glx / sport / classic / equippe / elegance should do the job & have the markings. You will have to change the tailgate though in order to fit the lights

GalantOnly
20-11-2010, 12:58 PM
You will have to change the tailgate though in order to fit the lights

...and the whole rear end of the car.../yes

Kryton
20-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Ah, didn't realise:oops: In that case, I will agree with your 'I know it's too late now Carl, but you should have bought the UK-registred Legnum and not directly from Japan' comment

Pugme
20-11-2010, 01:05 PM
is there no aftermarket chavtastic rear lights u can buy?

SpoonCivic
20-11-2010, 01:15 PM
He he... Okey.. Rear End conversion sounds complicated... And I think, only out of pictures, that PFL lights are bigger than FL ones.
What I'll do is something like this -> Buy one set spare Taillights and drill holes in them to put Hellas round E-approved lights in them. That should do I think...

SpoonCivic
20-11-2010, 01:19 PM
is there no aftermarket chavtastic rear lights u can buy?

Hmm I don't know... I have searched but no luck! /wall

SpoonCivic
20-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Ah, didn't realise:oops: In that case, I will agree with your 'I know it's too late now Carl, but you should have bought the UK-registred Legnum and not directly from Japan' comment

Yes of Course but I think it would not have been better... I don't have a lot of experience but I been told Finnish "MoT system" demands E-approved lights although the car comes from another EU-country. For Example Fords F-250 and Dodges RAM trucks imported from Sweden need to be fitted with E-approved head and taillights, DOT-approved won't do. Even a headlight leveling system is mandatory install for these ones (even for me) It kind of suck... :(

Nick Mann
20-11-2010, 03:26 PM
The facelift legnum lights are completely incompatible with the prefacelift ones. The prefacelift lights should have e marks as they were sold all over Europe, but the facelift legnum was never sold in Europe so I guess there is a good chance that they were never approved in Europe. I have never seen after market rear lights for any legnum.