PDA

View Full Version : Wellington Dyno Chat Thread

CANDEE
02-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Hey all,

While talking to Pierre and Wynn tonight there was the suggestion of us having a dyno day here in Welly.

As Wynn and I have already been to Speedtech for previous power runs, Speedtech will be our prefered venue.

Usually the costs are $50 for a 2wd car and $100 for a 4wd car + $10 for AFR.

From previous discussions with Speedtech, we will need 10 cars to make it viable for us to get this off the ground, anyone interested, will be a saturday?

J

Currently interested:
Jeremy(Candee) - Tip FL Galant
Pierre(PBaron) - Manual PFL Galant
Wynn(VR4MAD) - secret squirel vr4 thingy...
Mike(low_vr4) - Manual FL Leggie
Scott(holure) - Manual PFL Leggie
Karl(karlous54) - Manual FL Galant(V)
Cam - Wild Mirage RS - scrached - blown motor @ NIMM :(
Ray(KNUTZ) - Auto PFL Leggie

CANDEE
02-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Oh and those people who own RX7's - yes we do accept them.. lol

VR4 MAD
02-11-2010, 09:53 AM
And to help ensure we get the required minimum of 10, friends with non VR4's will be welcome.

Do we have any idea of the time frame for this Jeremy? Late this month?, sometime December or are we thinking something more like in the new year?

/toycar

PS - I'll need to lift the ride hight or I'll never get into Speedtechs dyno booth................ ha ha

CANDEE
02-11-2010, 10:00 AM
And to help ensure we get the required minimum of 10, friends with non VR4's will be welcome.

Do we have any idea of the time frame for this Jeremy? Late this month?, sometime December or are we thinking something more like in the new year?

/toycar

PS - I'll need to lift the ride hight or I'll never get into Speedtechs dyno booth................ ha ha
I have to have a talk with Speedtech about dates, but will most likely be in the new year, but will confirm with them. :)

I dont think you will have a problem getting into the booth, its just them putting it on the dyno will be the problem. :P

Oh and PS pass this onto Barry for Cam tomorrow if you please sir. :)

low_vr4
02-11-2010, 10:36 AM
awesome, throw me down too and my mate scott (holure) too

holure
02-11-2010, 10:55 AM
yea im keen to get a reading

karlous54
02-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Yeah count me in mate

CANDEE
03-11-2010, 02:49 AM
I have spoken to Doug & Ben @ Speedtech and they are going to nut out some prospective dates. :) These will depend on mainly when the drag meets are on so they can support their customers. :)

We are looking at late Jan/sometime in feb, which will give people a chance to catch up on servicing and save up the $$. :)

Costs are the same as above, and we will be limited to 10 cars if all are 4wd, adding 2/3 to it if there are some 2wd cars in there too. :)

Tis a good chance to get an idea on what your car is doing powerwise(or as a baseline if you havent done anything yet), and see where you have room for improvement. Will be interested to see how far over my last score my car will be. :)

low_vr4
03-11-2010, 03:03 AM
yea im keen to get a reading

we arent doing tarot cards lol

Oggie
03-11-2010, 03:39 AM
we arent doing tarot cards lol

what about painting hands red?

karlous54
03-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Currently interested:
Jeremy(Candee) - Tip FL Galant
Pierre(PBaron) - Manual PFL Galant
Wynn(VR4MAD) - secret squirel vr4 thingy...
Mike(low_vr4) - Manual FL Leggie??
Scott(holure) - ?? ?? Leggie
Karl(karlous54) - Manual FL Galant(V)
Cam - Wild Mirage RS[/QUOTE]

What does the (V) mean after me little intro ? ;)

CANDEE
03-11-2010, 08:39 AM
What does the (V) mean after me little intro ? ;)

Well you have a type v dont you?? Only special people need that notation :P

low_vr4
03-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Mike(low_vr4) - Manual FL Leggie??

Correct! and scott has a manual FL

karlous54
03-11-2010, 08:43 AM
hahahahah i thought it was something SIMPLE like that, what a blonde moment :S Thanks for clearing that up.
My car is more like a wanna be type (S)

CANDEE
03-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Correct! and scott has a manual FL
Thanks Mike. :)

CANDEE
03-11-2010, 08:50 AM
hahahahah i thought it was something SIMPLE like that, what a blonde moment :S Thanks for clearing that up.
My car is more like a wanna be type (S)
Dont worry Karl, I have days like that... lol

kNuTz
22-11-2010, 01:14 AM
After our Welly meet and chat, i'm keen to jump on this too to have a start for my building block. :D

CANDEE
22-11-2010, 02:41 AM
After our Welly meet and chat, i'm keen to jump on this too to have a start for my building block. :D

Thanks Matey, :) Will be good to have you there. :)

CANDEE
22-11-2010, 02:43 AM
Ok guys have been speaking with Doug @ Speedtech, and we have penciled in 26 Feb, but that is subject to change/agreement of the operations manager(though I have a feeling we will be looking at March though).

The main delay is the 4 & Rotary Nationals, with the guys attending the meets with the dyno. :)

Will update once I know more. :)

J

popin
23-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Could be keen but depends on funds :( when's cut off data for the rsvp? :p

CANDEE
23-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Could be keen but depends on funds :( when's cut off data for the rsvp? :p

Payment cut off will be the end of Jan. :) so you have 2 months to sort the funds out.. :P

kNuTz
24-11-2010, 02:29 AM
Unfortunately we have received an invite to a wedding on the same day.
So looks like you will have to remove me from the list and I'll have to organize a solo run at some point as I don't know how long the group session will take on the 26th.

RXWPN
24-11-2010, 03:17 AM
Im keen for another power run to see if all is still working as it should.

CANDEE
24-11-2010, 05:56 AM
Unfortunately we have received an invite to a wedding on the same day.
So looks like you will have to remove me from the list and I'll have to organize a solo run at some point as I don't know how long the group session will take on the 26th.
If you have to be in and out early, we can always put you on as the first runner?? I think it usually takes about 30-45 mins per car for putting the car on the dyno, setting it up(if the car hasnt been on speedtech's dyno) and the doing two power runs. :) So prob be about a 3pmish ending to the day..

Let me know how you feel about it. :)

CANDEE
24-11-2010, 05:57 AM
Im keen for another power run to see if all is still working as it should.

Excellent Justin, ill add you to the list. :) What variety of VR4 do you have??

CANDEE
24-11-2010, 06:00 AM
Also we are almost full guys. :) 10 is the magic number due to the time it takes to get the cars on and off... lol I know it taked Andre an hour to do the same all by himself normally.. :P

kNuTz
24-11-2010, 10:06 PM
If you have to be in and out early, we can always put you on as the first runner?? I think it usually takes about 30-45 mins per car for putting the car on the dyno, setting it up(if the car hasnt been on speedtech's dyno) and the doing two power runs. :) So prob be about a 3pmish ending to the day..

Let me know how you feel about it. :)

That would be perfect if that could be set up, I could of course stay a little longer to catch up with the guys but be able to disappear when required. :D

CANDEE
24-11-2010, 11:53 PM
That would be perfect if that could be set up, I could of course stay a little longer to catch up with the guys but be able to disappear when required. :D

Should be able to arrange that for ya matey. :) will note it in the other thread so I dont forget.. lol

kNuTz
25-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Should be able to arrange that for ya matey. :) will note it in the other thread so I dont forget.. lol

Cool, may be a newb question but for funds reasoning, what does doing the +$10 for AFR get?
I have a AFR gauge which should be installed well before this dyno day.

CANDEE
25-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Cool, may be a newb question but for funds reasoning, what does doing the +$10 for AFR get?
I have a AFR gauge which should be installed well before this dyno day.
The AFR is a wideband which is referenced vs the rpm as the one below:

This will be able to accurately, where a problem is located, if you do have one, also it tells you how rich the car is running and how fast it gets there... lol

What you most likely have is a narrowband, which is taken off the car's o2 sensor, which is basically a visual guide and nowhere near as accurate as a wideband. :)

Kenneth
25-11-2010, 05:06 AM
In other words, it is well worth the $10. In fact, I would go as far as saying that there is no point in spending the money to do a dyno run and NOT not spending the extra to have the Air Fuel Ratio measured.

kNuTz
25-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Sweet as, will go for the lot then :D

popin
29-11-2010, 01:43 AM
Count me in if there's still room :)

Keen for AFR as well

CANDEE
29-11-2010, 03:55 AM
Count me in if there's still room :)

Keen for AFR as well

You are on the list Simon. :)

I have also added the other half's car, specifically for when project d-ninja race car goes ahead... :P

CANDEE
06-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Ok gents we are slowly getting closer. :)

Hopefully everyone is getting their cars all ready. :)

Just went and visited Speedtech today and stocked up on some nice Motul Turbolite 4100 oil goodness for the car. :)

PM me for account details and I am happy for you to drip feed the $$ in till you are paid up. :)

J

popin
15-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Actually pop me out of the list sorry :(

CANDEE
15-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Actually pop me out of the list sorry :(
Why is that Simon? Hopefully not something serious?

popin
16-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Basically I'm dirt poor/need to pay some debts/christmas/newyears/summerholiday/moving out start of next year... and need the cash...that combination doesn't mix well with a twin turbo v6...

The VR4 has to go :(

low_vr4
17-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Basically I'm dirt poor/need to pay some debts/christmas/newyears/summerholiday/moving out start of next year... and need the cash...that combination doesn't mix well with a twin turbo v6...

The VR4 has to go :(

just seen it on trademe, good luck

CANDEE
13-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Ok Guys,

We are steadily closing on the month out mark. :)

Are we able to get confirmations via payment? I am happy to accept the cost being paid off in parts if need be. :)

J

karlous54
14-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Sounds good Jeremy, just let me know what your bank account number and i shell sort ya out.

CANDEE
14-01-2011, 01:41 AM
Sounds good Jeremy, just let me know what your bank account number and i shell sort ya out.

PM sent.. :P

CANDEE
17-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Just updated the main thread to reflect who has paid. :)

Remember even if you arent running on the dyno, pop down and have a chin-wag as its as much a social meet as a technical one. :)

J

kNuTz
18-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Hey Jeremy (Guys), due to the family holiday to the bay of islands we had and our girl's first birthday coming up, a wedding to attend (gift) and then needing to go back up to Auckland for the Grandmother's 80th soon and another baby on the way now, it looks like I cannot make it this time.

Hopefully once we have settled down a little and got things out of the way I can either attend another one or just do a solo run when possible.

CANDEE
18-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Damn it Ray.. lol

If you can pop along and have a catch up with us if you like. :) We will be there all day. :)

kNuTz
19-01-2011, 01:45 AM
What can I say, busy boy lol.

Will do, have the wedding on the same day so might bring the daughter out to give her mother some space/time to get ready lol.

CANDEE
04-02-2011, 04:30 AM
Bumping this up guys... Three weeks to go, and have a few spaces left, so get in or be square.... /pan

Remember even if you arent putting a car on the dyno, remember you are welcome to come along and have a chin-wag and a sausage or two from the bbq at lunchtime. :)

Oh and if you have a mate that wants to put their car on, no worries, just get them to contact me and we can organise it. ;)

CANDEE
17-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Bumping this up guys, 1 week tomorrow. :) Hopefully everyone's cars will be ready.... I know of one thats in a race to get a wof beforehand, and other thats goin into Armstrong's tomorrow for some love. :)

Remember even if you arent running on the dyno, come down for a chin-wag, will be good to get everyone there. :)

karlous54
17-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Bumping this up guys, 1 week tomorrow. :) Hopefully everyone's cars will be ready.... I know of one thats in a race to get a wof beforehand, and other thats goin into Armstrong's tomorrow for some love. :)

Remember even if you arent running on the dyno, come down for a chin-wag, will be good to get everyone there. :)

Ready to rock and roll, what time is kick off ?

CANDEE
17-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Good work Karl. :) Mine will be good to go after its lovin tomorrow. :) And a eye-pleasing surprise should be in the coupe over the weekend too. ;) Only took me nearly three years... lol

Kick of should be 9am, though I have you noted as coming at 10?

J

karlous54
18-02-2011, 01:50 AM
yeah 10ish hopefully mate

CANDEE
18-02-2011, 03:30 AM
yeah 10ish hopefully mate

Will put you in the middle of the list to give you some lee-way. :)

VR4 MAD
18-02-2011, 03:36 AM
J, put me down at the end of the list so I have max time to get my sh*t in order............... :)

/toycar

CANDEE
18-02-2011, 07:00 AM
J, put me down at the end of the list so I have max time to get my sh*t in order............... :)

/toycar
You mean you will need to get your wof??? lol You should be done by lunchtime though right?

J

CANDEE
20-02-2011, 08:12 AM
One more has paid, and an old member has expressed interest in putting his new toy on as well. :)

The vr is all ready to go, just needs fuel on sat, the coupe has a nice visual surprise for everyone on it too. :)

J

dixon8
23-02-2011, 08:53 PM
an old member has expressed interest in putting his new toy on as well. :)J

eh not so old member (if you're referring to me), and yes I will be happy to come along and support this event on sat by bringing my new toy along as well for a dyno run. (and to meet up again with CLUBVR4 members and some new members).

CANDEE
24-02-2011, 08:06 AM
D, I wasnt talking about age... but now you mention it.. lol

CANDEE
24-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Ok Guys prelim running order:

1 - Cutiecivc - Ness/Jeremy
2 - dixon8 - Dixon
3 - VR4 Mad - Wynn
4 - pbaron - Pierre
5 - low_vr4 - Mike
6 - karlous54 - Karl
7 - Candee - Jeremy

Grouping's are:

2 x 2wd na's
2 x PFL Manuals
1 x FL Manual type s
1 x FL Manual type v
1 x FL Auto

Thoughts? trials/tribulations? lol

I will confirm with speedtech tomorrow but start time should be 9am ie the coupe will be on the dyno then.....

J

low_vr4
25-02-2011, 01:18 AM
Ok Guys prelim running order:

1 - Cutiecivc - Ness/Jeremy
2 - dixon8 - Dixon
3 - VR4 Mad - Wynn
4 - pbaron - Pierre
5 - low_vr4 - Mike
6 - karlous54 - Karl
7 - Candee - Jeremy

Grouping's are:

2 x 2wd na's
2 x PFL Manuals
1 x FL Manual type s
1 x FL Manual type v
1 x FL Auto

Thoughts? trials/tribulations? lol

I will confirm with speedtech tomorrow but start time should be 9am ie the coupe will be on the dyno then.....

J

Sounds good to me. Any idea what time itll be finishing? Im the one with the crooked intercooler btw haha :/

CANDEE
25-02-2011, 04:18 AM
Well time finishing depends on how well they get through the cars and if there are any issues. :)

I think its about 20 mins for a 2wd and 40 for a 4wd go get through the set up and runs. :)

Hope to have it all wrapped up by 4ish. :)

If everyone one can aim to be there at 9ish that would be great(I know Karl will be late).
forms
I should be either hanging around the cars, or will be in the shop sorting Doug out. You will all need to go into the shop to sign the indemnity forms before getting the car on the dyno, so that would be a good first place to check. :)

J

PS Any issues you can pm for my mobile number etc. :)

CANDEE
26-02-2011, 02:53 AM
Ok just got back home and was a good day. :)

Prelim results as follows:

Cutiecivic - Civic - d-ninja auto - 69kw - Pod & intake
dixon8 - MR2 - 3GSE manual - 84kw
VR4 Mad - PFL Leggie - Manual - 165kw - 8psi - intake piping, i/cooler, downpipes, exhaust, race cat, mine's ecu, pod on maf
Pbaron - PFL Galant - Manual - 177kw - 14psi - Boost controller, exhaust, boost cut tickle via ecu, panel filter
low_vr4 - FL Leggie - Manual - 119kw - 14psi- Boost controller, exhaust, i/cooler - clutch slipped over 4k
karlous54 - FL Galant type V - Manual - 8psi -149kw - Exhaust, downpipes, i/cooler
Candee - FL Galant - Auto - 174kw - 10psi - Exhaust, panel filter, maf mod

Photos and vids to come. :)

VR4 MAD
26-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Here's a random selection of pictures from the STM dyno day the Wellington crew attended................. enjoy.

/toycar

The immaculate Speedtech Motorsport Dyno booth................

Pictures of the various cars doing their runs..............
Wynn - VR4 Mad
Mike - low_vr4
Pierre - pbaron
Karl - karlous54
Jeremy - Candee

And the 2WD brigade..............
Ness - Cutiecivic
Dixon - dixon8

And the Wellington Crew outside afterwards............
Jan(Robotnik123), Mike(low_vr4), Scott(holure), Karl(karlous54), Hayden(Wynn's youngest son and civic chauffeur), Dixon(dixon8), Pierre(pbaron). In the background was Andre(Stm's head tuner) & Jeremy(Candee)

Random photos of the VR4s' parked around the Speed Tech Motorsport (STM) venue.................
Jeremy & Scott(holure & ex vr4wgn)
Ryan(rayray24)
Pierre's new toy

Karl & Pierre's Galant's

After we had finished at STM we took a quick run to a place where we could all park together and shoot some quick photos like these.....................

And a the crew about to head away...............

And finally, a little something Andre (from STM) noted and commented on...................

Whats wrong with the brakes shown in this photo................. quiet those Welly people who now know the answer............. anyone spot the problem...........????

Enjoyable day and something we'll be doing again for sure.............

Nutter_John
26-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Nice photos , and the Brembo answer is so easy - air rises !!!

VR4 MAD
26-02-2011, 09:47 AM
And the top prize goes to that man...................... :)

Who's a smarty pants then..........??

Nice photos , and the Brembo answer is so easy - air rises !!!

CANDEE
26-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Karl was a bit shocked when Andre pointed it out... Though apparently the incorrectly fitted brakes were the cause of his car running really lean at the top end causing it to have a low score... lol

karlous54
26-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Karl was a bit shocked when Andre pointed it out... Though apparently the incorrectly fitted brakes were the cause of his car running really lean at the top end causing it to have a low score... lol

hahahah i didn't know anyone took a photo of that!

Went straight home to correct this and what a change, i was never happy with the brakes in this where always spungy and never felt that that psoitive, but now they stop on the mark after a damn good bleed. Had the abs smoking the tyres up when i hit the anchors.

So even though i was a little disappoined with the KW output ( which i blame the clutch, brakes, seats, gearbox and up side down calipers ;) hahaha)
i now know where i need to start to get some results,

-Boost controller ( hopefully will lean her out a bit )
-and hopefully Jeremy, wynn and pierre can get speedtech to have a look and start to remap our factory ECU's.

Was a very educational day :) cheers boys

CANDEE
27-02-2011, 12:53 AM
No worries Karl. :) Its all about learning what you have and where your issues(if any) lie...

Remember power isnt everything.. its all about how it makes it as well. :)

Good to hear putting the calipers on the right sides has helped the brakes. :)

Hopefully will hear from Andre soon re the reflashing, we should get some good results out of a reflash on our cars. :)

J

Robotnik123
27-02-2011, 02:02 AM
As a matter of interest, does any one know how much STM charges for a one-off 4WD dyno run that is not part of a group?

CANDEE
27-02-2011, 04:41 AM
Jan, for a diagnostic run(similar to what we got done) its $149. So it was a $40 saving. :)

Link is below:
http://www.speedtechnz.com/Services/Dyno+Tuning/Tune+Pricing.html

Kenneth
27-02-2011, 06:43 AM
Wynn, someone should smack you for having a pod filter on your VR-4 /haz

CANDEE
27-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Well there is a story behind that Ken...... He did try and fit Richard's old std air box in the car for the run, but he was having clearance issues with it due to the pros piping.... lol He just wasnt up to giggling all the pipes.. lol

low_vr4
27-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Was an awesome day, thanks to the organisers and everyone who turned up, was good to meet the guys! Got to get my clutch sorted and look forward to hearing about that ecu remap at STM! oh and re-horizontal my FMIC :jester:

CANDEE
27-02-2011, 08:34 AM
Was good meeting you mate. :) Have a chat to Pierre re clutches, he has done a couple on his cars...

VR4 MAD
27-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Wynn, someone should smack you for having a pod filter on your VR-4 /haz

Indeed I should, but it wasn't for the want of trying to change the BL**DY thing, but as Jeremy has said, wasn't to be............... :(

I had a plan 'B' as well which was set in motion but that fell through too............... /Hissy

I had hoped to have one of those oval shaped K&N pods that are guaranteed not to bugger up the factory MAF. I hoped it would be here in time for Saturday, but it's somewhere 'in the post' from Aussie.............. grrrrrrrrrrr

So with the Pod stuffing up the MAF, and a crushed flat exhaust, with all those things considered then, I'm not that concerned about the 'at the wheels' figure it got.............. :)

Room to improve then ............ now into the 'parts bin' I go ............. where did I put those electronics boost controllers .............. /bat :uhoh2: /Hmmm

/toycar

CANDEE
27-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Room to improve then ............ now into the 'parts bin' I go ............. where did I put those electronics boost controllers .............. /bat :uhoh2: /Hmmm

/toycar

Jo doesnt need a boost controller... :P

VR4 MAD
27-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Jo doesnt need a boost controller... :P

She may not "Need" one but they do add to the 'fun factor'............... :)

/toycar

Cutiecivic
28-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks guys for letting my wee Honda be part of your day!! :2thumbsup/thankyou .. also thank you to Hayden for taking my car, just awesome. Great club you have here.

CANDEE
28-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks guys for letting my wee Honda be part of your day!! :2thumbsup/thankyou .. also thank you to Hayden for taking my car, just awesome. Great club you have here.

You are welcome my dear. :)

d i c k i e s
06-03-2011, 11:00 AM
hold on a minute i didnt know wynn you have a leggie aswell? was this a recent purchase?

CANDEE
06-03-2011, 07:52 PM
hold on a minute i didnt know wynn you have a leggie aswell? was this a recent purchase?

Yes Whenz its a recent purchase. :) He has had it for about 5/6 months now. :)

Ryan
06-03-2011, 08:13 PM
What boots are fitted to that red Super?

CANDEE
07-03-2011, 02:09 AM
What boots are fitted to that red Super?

They are evo 8's with GSD3's on the front and DZ101's on the back. :)

d i c k i e s
08-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Yes Whenz its a recent purchase. :) He has had it for about 5/6 months now. :)
Clearly i dont read everything on here... hahahaha.

CANDEE
08-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Clearly i dont read everything on here... hahahaha.
Well even if you did, you wouldnt have seen it on here.. lol This meet was its first club outing.. lol He still has the Galant too. :P

karlous54
09-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Any Vid's ?

CANDEE
09-03-2011, 09:51 AM
There are some... just uploading to Vimeo, as my data cap was up... lol

CANDEE
10-03-2011, 05:33 AM
Vids are uploaded here:

http://vimeo.com/user6160988/videos

karlous54
10-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Vids are uploaded here:

http://vimeo.com/user6160988/videos

Awesome! cheers.

Brought me self a reconditioned gearbox today! so next time i should get some better results on the dyno ha ( yeah right ) ;)

low_vr4
26-09-2011, 01:30 AM
Still selling karlous? Saw you on saturday driving past countdown

karlous54
26-09-2011, 03:48 AM
Still on the market but havnt had much intrest! but havnt tried very hard either.