PDA

View Full Version : selecting "Neutral"

Brad_Colbert
25-11-2010, 08:56 AM
I was just wanting some clarity on selecting neutral on my auto box. I have never driven an auto car before.
1. Are the brakes applied automatically when I select neutral if the vehicle is moving? ( it feels like they are)
2. Can damage be done to the gear box if neutral is selected when moving either when slow (under 5km/ph)or at say 60km/ph. -I don't normally put it into "n" when travelling at that speed but just want to know. With a manual it can be put out of gear at any speed.
3. If stopped in traffic (longer than a few minutes) is it ok to select neutral or should park be selected?

thanks for any advice. I know these might seem like gumby questions but bear with me. cheers Brad

bradc
25-11-2010, 09:07 AM
When in Neutral it should be free, just like a manual in neutral.

You shouldn't put it into N while moving.

Brad_Colbert
25-11-2010, 09:15 AM
I knocked it into neutral today by accident when driving down the road. It certainly felt like it wasn't "free wheeling" I'll be more careful from now on!!

So if I'm sitting at the lights or in a hold up and don't want to sit there with my foot on the brakes, I'm assuming I should select Park - and use the handbrake. The reason I'm interested is thats how my vehicle got damaged. The driver behind me stopped to talk to the kids in the back, took their foot off the brakes and drove into the rear of my car. I was stopped at red light at the time.

ILLEGAL
25-11-2010, 09:18 AM
I know these might seem like gumby questions but bear with me. cheers Brad

thats okay pal! we can see your from ozzy so..... just pulling ya leg mate! WELCOME.....

when at the lights for a while i would recommend using the park brake. if you brake works properly there should be no need to put it in PARK.

Brad_Colbert
25-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Hehe - thanks mate!! yes the handbrake holds the leggy from moving!

elnevio
25-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Yes, don't sit with your foot on the brake, as this probably the main cause of brake judder! I use the handbrake when waiting.

Brad (the longer-in-the-tooth one :P), I'm not aware of any mechanical reason why you can't put the auto in neutral while driving? It's not as if fluid isn't getting pumped around the box. In any event, knocking it into neutral at say 100kph is fine. What you need to be careful of is putting it back into D, as you are best to let the revs drop to idle, i.e. no throttle, and then reselect D, otherwise you can introduce a shock loading through the gearbox if you are applying load.

hardarse
25-11-2010, 10:10 AM
i put mine in neutral all the time at lights but whilst driving i never take that chance. to me neutral should take it out of any strain.

sy666
25-11-2010, 10:34 AM
I had been thinking of asking the same question since i drove home last night thinking i was in tip went to change up a gear and though I'd broken the box......... nope just knocked it into neutral as I was in drive. Played it safe and coasted to a stop before putting it back into D

Subaru ETA
25-11-2010, 11:05 AM
There is no reason why you can put it in N while driving - just have the revs at idle when you shift it back as said.

And when at the lights for a while use N and the park brake

gareth001
25-11-2010, 01:24 PM
As a side note for both MT and AT's you should not hold the car on the foot brake for any length of time. As nev said this will cause brake judder, but also can cause a telling off from the police in the UK! Basically the reasoning is brake lights or rear fog lights are bright and can dazzle people - so inproper use and the police can pull you over for it! That being said, motorbikes don't have parking brakes and you can only but use the foot brake!

bradc
25-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Nev, I agree that it won't cause any problems when moving into N, but selecting drive again while moving isn't ideal.

Also, why would you?

elnevio
25-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Only accidentally! I.e. not in tip, but thinking you are. Or an accidental nudge.

The key point is still to ensure that your foot is completely off the accelerator before reselecting D.

The only time I've deliberately selected N while moving at speed was when the fuel pump stopped working, so I wanted as little engine braking as possible to get as far to safety as possible.

Nick VR4
25-11-2010, 07:49 PM
I use the N if in Traffic jams and just put in D when I want to move and drop the handbrake :D

Pugme
25-11-2010, 08:12 PM
i often build up a bit of momentum as i enter my estate (still within legal speed limits here lads) so i can bang it in neutral and roll/coast for about 30 seconds before i get to my house, often i can et it up on the kerb without reselecting D but occasionaly i do put it back into D when it needs it.

just helps with letting it settle before turning off late at night.

MikeKey
26-11-2010, 03:16 AM
Mine does seem to have a lot of "drag" if I put it in neutral while moving, far more than I've ever had when putting a manual car into neutral or dipping the clutch, and it slows the car down quite quickly. I've always assumed it was due to the torque convertor.

Ryan
26-11-2010, 04:54 AM
It is very rare that I drive my car in auto mode but I have knocked it out of D into N accidentally (thinking I'm in tip mode). The first time it happened I think I was merging onto a motorway and was like WTF - had no choice but to slam it back into D, at the time I wasn't going particularly fast and had actually scrubbed a fair bit of speed for the split second when I was wondering what was going on.

Must have been doing about 70/80km/h and it just selected 3 and then continued changing as per normal. Obviously I wouldn't recommend making a habit of it but I have not experienced any adverse effects when I've had to do it.