PDA

View Full Version : AMP Power lead problem - engine bay to cabin - Leggie VR4

bamakin
29-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Does anyone know the best route for the power cable for an amplifier. Need to route it from the battery to the car boot of the leggie VR4 1997 model. The problem is I cant find suitable point anywhere to get the cable from the engine bay into the cabin, hard to get a drill in suitable places or cant find any existing rubber grommets to cut into. Ideally would want to use existing rubber grommet but cant find one.
Has anyone done this job? if so could you help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Nutter_John
29-11-2010, 02:25 PM
front wheel arch has ports from the engine bay and into the cabin , you need to remove the liner to see them

elnevio
29-11-2010, 02:26 PM
There's a grommeted way through by the passenger wing, as I understand. You may have to remove the wheel-arch liner to access it. hopefully someone with the experience will come along to point you more accurately in the right direction.

sy666
29-11-2010, 02:31 PM
I have done this and read about the wheel arch, I couln't remove my liner so decided instead to go all the way through the passenger wing and come in through the passenger door gromet as I already had it out to re-wire the front speakers as I've got them running off an amp. Was a struggle but if you can get your liner off, from what I have read on here the groment is there but is a very tight squeeze to get it in. Cant remember what size wire it was but got my 4AWG through the door gromet easy enough.

bamakin
29-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Thank you everybody for your replies thats a great help! I will have a look in wheel arch area then and try and get the liner off. Just as soon as the next snow blizzard has cleared up!!
Cheers.

bamakin
30-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Got the job done thanks guys for the replies!! I took the lead in through the whel arch as suggested. I managed to get behind the wheel arch liner just by taking out 2 of the bolts. I ended up taking the power lead in through the passenger door cable grommet and sealed it back up.
Cheers!!

sy666
30-11-2010, 01:46 PM
not the most difficult job is it. All I've got to do now is go under the carpet between the back of the centre consol and rear seats, the wires are tucked under the mat at the moment, will get around to it eventually!

bamakin
30-11-2010, 10:01 PM
not the most difficult job is it. All I've got to do now is go under the carpet between the back of the centre consol and rear seats, the wires are tucked under the mat at the moment, will get around to it eventually!

lol yours sounds same as mine! Im doing mine as i get chance, I had the old jap amp thing in the boot so having to install whole new system!! bits at a time!!

CANDEE
01-12-2010, 04:27 AM
Got the job done thanks guys for the replies!! I took the lead in through the whel arch as suggested. I managed to get behind the wheel arch liner just by taking out 2 of the bolts. I ended up taking the power lead in through the passenger door cable grommet and sealed it back up.
Cheers!!

There is another grommet on the a pilar, that you can hollow out that allows you to put it directly into the cabin with out touching the door grommet at all. :) I have 0AWG going through there fine. :)

Turbo_Steve
01-12-2010, 08:17 PM
The A-pillar grommet was my weapon of choice too. It's brilliant, and means there are no wires in the engine bay to get in the way. Or to get hot and go brittle!

bamakin
02-12-2010, 05:31 PM
There is another grommet on the a pilar, that you can hollow out that allows you to put it directly into the cabin with out touching the door grommet at all. :) I have 0AWG going through there fine. :)

Thanks I will check that out next time, as I may want to uprate the power cable when I come to run to power cap for extra amps/subs. Just in the process of looking for a double din head unit with enough outputs. Im not very experienced with installing audio equipment, I can install something basic ie extra speakers, amps and subs but more complex systems are beyond me!!! Im also looking for a couple of good mid range speakers if any one knows of any. Any size will do as making mdf parcel shelf to hold 4 speakers inc two 6 by 9s and two mid ranges. I guess i just want a nice overall sound from the rear. Then Im going to replace all the door speakers and have a 12" sub in boot. Hopefully can run all this from 2 amps.

CANDEE
03-12-2010, 03:57 AM
You will be looking for this grommet, with the inner guard out, it will be easy to see. :)

As long as you have a decent battery(550CCA+) and decent power and ground cables(2 or 0AWG), you wont need a cap at all. :)

I have run over 2k rms in my car(s) for the last 7 years without a cap with no issues at all, including SPL installs. :)

You should only need 3 pre outs on the headunit(front, rear & sub), which most decent units will have. :)

Dont worry about installing lots of speakers in the rear, just spend some decent money on front speakers, amp them, run the rear door speakers off the headunit(or amp them with a small amp), and run a sub. :)

Spend the extra money that you havent spent on some sound deadening to help the speakers work more efficiently.

I havent had rear speakers in any of my cars unless it was in the factory config, expecially in the Leggies as the rear speaker is too close to the driver and sounds funny..

J

bamakin
03-12-2010, 07:43 AM
You will be looking for this grommet, with the inner guard out, it will be easy to see. :)

As long as you have a decent battery(550CCA+) and decent power and ground cables(2 or 0AWG), you wont need a cap at all. :)

I have run over 2k rms in my car(s) for the last 7 years without a cap with no issues at all, including SPL installs. :)

You should only need 3 pre outs on the headunit(front, rear & sub), which most decent units will have. :)

Dont worry about installing lots of speakers in the rear, just spend some decent money on front speakers, amp them, run the rear door speakers off the headunit(or amp them with a small amp), and run a sub. :)

Spend the extra money that you havent spent on some sound deadening to help the speakers work more efficiently.

I havent had rear speakers in any of my cars unless it was in the factory config, expecially in the Leggies as the rear speaker is too close to the driver and sounds funny..

J

Thanks for the advice mate, that gives me a clearer picture of what to go for. Are the front and rear door speakers both 16.5cm?

CANDEE
03-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Hey Olly,

Yes both the front and rear speakers are 16.5cm or 6.5".. Though the mounting depth of the speakers is different, I run fronts with a 72mm mounting depth, but would have no hope fitting them in the rear of a leggie. You are better to run something a lot shallower in there otherwise the window wont go down. :)

bamakin
03-12-2010, 11:49 AM
cool thanks mate!!! With those figures i can spend my work time "wisely" by looking on the net for speakers!
Cheers.