PDA

View Full Version : Funky polin like smell???

VR4WGN
03-12-2010, 08:58 PM
ok well Katys car has recently aquired a funky smell inside after using the aircon and switching to plain fresh air, i dont know what to do or where to start so if anyone has any ideas please please help me sort it out
thanx guys
~Q~

jayp
03-12-2010, 09:08 PM
This is a common problem with air con when it's not used all the time. It's caused by bacteria from two possible causes
1 your evaporator box has iced up and when it's defrosted the water has just sat there because the drain pipe is blocked and has gone foul.
2 when you've gone from one temp extreme to the other condensation has built and collected causing the same problem.

Two solutions
1 pull the dash apart and strip the air con system and scrub it, bit of a pain unless your planning to pull the dash out.
2 autoglym have a product on the Market now which is used by air con maintainers, it's an aerosol which you activate like the old bug bombs shut the doors and leave the air con on for half hour. Also deodorises seat etc gets rid of the wet dog smell. Stale smoke etc.

Hope this helps.

VR4WGN
04-12-2010, 07:04 AM
top notch work there my friend i was betting on the first option lol,but i might try this bomb lol

funkstardelux
04-12-2010, 03:04 PM
aye i used the air bomb...made my car have the nice new fresh smell..for around 2 weeks..but the pong has gone :)

VR4WGN
04-12-2010, 07:41 PM
yay so we are onto a winner i might haveto now ask WHERE do i find these things you guys call "The Bomb" lol...

Subaru ETA
04-12-2010, 10:04 PM
I have never seen a DIY thing lime you guys are talking about but wynns do a similar things and quite a few workshops have the machine.

When I was doing them it was about $120 to get it done

statham234
04-12-2010, 11:26 PM
wurth do a bomb for air con it also kills all the bacteria deposits .. p.s which can suprisingly make you ill.ie flu syptons.

funkstardelux
05-12-2010, 12:50 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220634792679

this is what i used comma but i brought it from a local shop

found this for u
and they ship to NZ

VR4WGN
05-12-2010, 06:12 AM
i went down to SuperCheap and for $25 i got a Car Bomb and it does al lyou guys said it will,its done and now ill give it a week before i comment on it lol.. if no luck ill do another and then asess it, but i must say it DID smell good tho lol
~Q~

FNFAST VR4
18-12-2010, 11:58 PM
It's been a couple of weeks, how is the car smelling Quinton?

Our little viento absolutely stinks when you turn the air con on, and just stinks a little normally haha. Will definitely get one if you rate them :)

VR4WGN
19-12-2010, 12:50 AM
It's been a couple of weeks, how is the car smelling Quinton?

Our little viento absolutely stinks when you turn the air con on, and just stinks a little normally haha. Will definitely get one if you rate them :)

well Katys Galant has been well used over the past month with the in-Laws round traveling the country and we have had no problem with any smells both with or without AC on so im happy,but i do want to put another 1 in as i reckon there is a slight hint of it,but i do have acute smell so its prolly just me lol