PDA

View Full Version : Defined Ettiquite for Breaker FS threads

Beastlee
05-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Folks, given the number of FS threads involving breakers these days as well as the fact they seem to be more commonplace as time goes by I think it would be good to lay down some 'Best Practices'. I've seen so many of them where it's simply a list of posts saying 'PMd' or similar which makes it very difficult to work out what has and hasn't been sold. I don't understand why we can't raise our interests on the forum and discuss prices via PM so that we all know where we stand.
Most recently I was frustrated to see that a new post had appeared and I was first to openly respond to the thread only to find that someone had already beaten me to one of the parts. It didn't seem fair to me as it wasn't marked as sold (provisionally) until long after my original post. Had the buyer posted in the main thread that they were intersted I would have had a clearer idea of what was still available, as it stands there's still no other obvious interest which may confuse other potential buyers.
In the same vein I think sellers should be more pro-active in advising what has/hasn't been sold and close the thread once nothing else is left.

I know this is more a personal buyer/seller situation but I still think some kind of guidelines would be good.

John TheAntique
05-12-2010, 02:46 PM
I second that, some of the FS threads seem to go on for ever and it's hard to follow whats still left.

Spirit
05-12-2010, 04:26 PM
My idea (here: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?53817-Classified-Advertising-Software-to-replace-For-Sale-forum ) would solve all these issues, as people can advertise actual prices, or indeed auctions, and people can pay through the software etc........making truly first come first served, or the highest bidder etc. Things would then get automatically marked as sold etc, and there's even a feedback process like eBay etc. Things can be placed in specific categories too, making it far easier to find what you're looking for.

Roberto
05-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Also, when does someone stop being a casual "Breaker" and turn into a "Trader Breaker" as it seems a way of getting around the "Trader" status idea.

bradc
05-12-2010, 06:40 PM
It saddens me that everytime someone tries to sell a VR-4 for an inflated price they decide a few weeks later to break it, it seems to be something that mainly happens in the UK to perfectly working cars, over here we only break them if they are completely written off.

Gowf
05-12-2010, 06:59 PM
It saddens me that everytime someone tries to sell a VR-4 for an inflated price they decide a few weeks later to break it, it seems to be something that mainly happens in the UK to perfectly working cars, over here we only break them if they are completely written off.

Unfortunately Brad its got nothing to do with selling the car for an inflated price. Its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. With the economic climate over hear being as it is, the cost of ownership of a VR4 is too much for many people, which is making them very difficult to sell. So when trying to sell your car for what it should be worth going on age/condition etc doesnt happen, breaking it is the only way to recoup some of the cash youve thrown at it over the years... The other option is just leave it on your drive further depreciating in the hope that someone will come along and take it.

I do agree its sad, very sad. Breaking mine was a very hard thing to do, but the most financial sound decision to make, my situation was very different to most, but I couldnt go on with ownership in the way it was, and there was no way i was letting the car go for £4000.

I've kinda minced round the point here a bit, but i do agree with you brad, but how stating that everyone who is breaking their car was living in a dream world when trying to sell it as a whole is in any way constructive is beyond me

bradc
05-12-2010, 07:30 PM
For your car I agree, it would be too difficult even if you wanted to try and return it to stock and then resell. But it still makes me sad.

Mark 4
05-12-2010, 07:37 PM
It's just a sign of the times. This recession is far worse than people realise.

Beastlee
05-12-2010, 07:51 PM

Brad, I don't know the state of the NZ economy but I think the issue in the UK is down to the fact that most people can't afford to hang onto their VR4s until someone decides to pay the price they want. Most have bought before the prices dropped and don't necessarily realise the costs of running one then think they can get the money back. I've spent about as much on mine as I paid for it when I bought it and wouldn't expect to get back more than the original price should I try to sell it in the UK. I have had it 3+ years now so I don't think I've had a bad investment, hence I intend to spend more on it and keep it as long as possible. Were I in the UK I doubt very much I would still have a VR4 and unless I sell it before I am finally posted back it will most likely be a breaker too as it would give me a bigger return, despite the car running better than it ever has.

miller
05-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Its a piece of Metal Brad at the end of the day, if it makes you feel 'sad' then may i suggest you find a professional to 'listen' to you!

Mark 4
05-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Now now Mr Miller !

bradc
06-12-2010, 06:57 PM
I don't mean it like that. What I mean is that in a few years time there will be no spare parts at all in the UK because you guys will have thrown most of the cars away!