PDA

View Full Version : headlight adjustment switch

funkstardelux
11-12-2010, 11:42 AM
I was on ebay bored and noticed a headlight adjustment switch for a galant.
Does anybody have it on their vr4? as i don't on my pfl

Colin Wiltshire
11-12-2010, 11:52 AM
I don't either on my fl, but did on my old normal galant

swinks
11-12-2010, 02:06 PM
It's only Galant n/a feature.

psbarham
11-12-2010, 04:32 PM
I have it on my legnum, but then again i fitted the uk headlights as well :D

GalantOnly
11-12-2010, 04:40 PM
I have too /yes
But the whole thing is retrofitted - switch, wiring and headlamps

Beastlee
11-12-2010, 06:16 PM
HOw much work is there in retrofitting? I can't imagine it's stupidly difficult and would really help me out if I could convert to electric adjust ones.

psbarham
11-12-2010, 08:51 PM
HOw much work is there in retrofitting? I can't imagine it's stupidly difficult and would really help me out if I could convert to electric adjust ones.

Ideally you need a uk v6 etc in the breakers, all you then need is the headlights & indicators, the switch & the plugs from each lights and the switch, just make sure you get 3-4 inches of wire from the loom to patch into, once you have all the bits then all you'll need is some crimp connectors and 3-4m of 3 core wire to join it all together.

GalantOnly
11-12-2010, 09:13 PM
The very fast "amateur" installation will only require one single wire from the switch to the engine compartment. The rest of the wiring will be local - 12V headlamp relay power and ground to the switch (both are easy to find under the dashboard). And the same to the headlamp motors - 12V and the ground from wiring under the hood...

All the hardware required is exactly as Paul described /yes
And it looks like you've already got both euro headlamps and indicators :)

Beastlee
12-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks folks, I figured it was a case of just getting the right switch and some connectors then wiring it in to the right places. Alex, yes I have Euro headlamps but not with motors, the reason I wondered is that it's much easier to find the adjustable headlamps in the LHD than the manual adjust ones. This means I can buy either model when I come to fix them.

MarkSanne
12-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I have a set of spare motorized euro headlamps to try and convert a spare JDM lamps into electronically adjustables. Don't have the height adjustment knob/wheel yet though.

Beastlee
12-12-2010, 05:05 PM
I wonder if HIDs could be fitted to the JDMs and then a retrofit of the motors and a self levelling system be added too? That wold be my ultimate goal.

GalantOnly
12-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Is there any Galant headlights, that's HID-legal? Shouldn't they have "D" mark on them?

Beastlee
12-12-2010, 05:42 PM
I was thinking of doing it using the projectors. Probably still need the markings but the tester here doesn't even look at them.

GalantOnly
12-12-2010, 09:13 PM
That's good.../yes I like this kinda testers /yes

If anyone is looking for the switch for headlight, I have a couple here that need a good home :)

funkstardelux
12-12-2010, 09:29 PM
crikey theres a fair few..lol

swinks
12-12-2010, 10:49 PM
I have already fitted switch to my Galant, but still love too much my JDM lights to swap them for EUDM with motorized leveling.
Btw, Alex can you draw any sort of wiring diagram (switch to level motors), please?

GalantOnly
13-12-2010, 06:30 AM
Here we go...:)
This diagram is for "prof" installation - not easy with only few wires...
I'll make the "easy" one later today /yes

swinks
13-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Smashing!
Have some rep Alex :thumbsup:

Beastlee
13-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Smashing!
Have some rep Alex :thumbsup:

Seconded!

GalantOnly
13-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks, guys...:)
Here's more simplifyed edition. I choose to wire illumination and ground for the headlamp switch from TCL switch. If you don't have TCL, the fog lamp switch can be used instead

ersanalamin
06-02-2011, 02:50 PM
I have a set of spare motorized euro headlamps to try and convert a spare JDM lamps into electronically adjustables. Don't have the height adjustment knob/wheel yet though.

Mark can you post some pic of the back of the motorized headlamp in more detail? I just wanna know the mechanism of motorized headlamp. i want to retrofit my galant. I all ready have the siwth and want it to get it working as soon as possible.

Does any one has the plastic bracket of the dual fog lamp switch? the switch is just like this, but it would not be sit in the dashboard perfectly without its inner bracket.

heres the pic of the switch before dismantled by the seller, the seller didnt send me the inner bracket

http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o343/pro_guy03/Panel.jpg

reply asap plz

Atik
06-02-2011, 11:29 PM
I've fit that same twin fog button in my VR4, and it sticks out a bit, but it doesnt bother me. I used some small zip-ties to clamp the rear of the fog switch to the panel, Works fine and cant see the mess behind the dash!

Back on topic, I have a set of the motorised headlights now and located my adjusting switch and will hopefully tackle the install next weekend. I dont want to install them with the wrong beam direction as it really peeves me off when people drive with fecked up beam patterns!

Barney
06-02-2011, 11:38 PM
If anybody has a pair of the separate clear indicator units for sale can you PM me. (EU spec)
Thanx

ersanalamin
07-02-2011, 01:19 AM
I've fit that same twin fog button in my VR4, and it sticks out a bit, but it doesnt bother me. I used some small zip-ties to clamp the rear of the fog switch to the panel, Works fine and cant see the mess behind the dash!

Back on topic, I have a set of the motorised headlights now and located my adjusting switch and will hopefully tackle the install next weekend. I dont want to install them with the wrong beam direction as it really peeves me off when people drive with fecked up beam patterns!

Atik, can you post some pic of the back of the motorized headlamp in more detail?

Atik
07-02-2011, 11:59 AM
I'll get some photo's tonight. I'm at work at the moment.

ersanalamin
10-02-2011, 02:00 AM
I'll get some photo's tonight. I'm at work at the moment.

Okay, did you get the pic yet?

GalantOnly
12-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Here's pics of the headlamps. JDM on the top and EUDM bottom

Atik
12-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Doh, Just went into the cellar and took some photos, but Alex beat me to it :D

Barney
12-02-2011, 03:09 PM
How do you adjust the Dipped / Lo-beam on the UK spec lights?
I've checked 54-38 from the Chassis Electrical section of the Workshop Manual but this only shows adjustment of horizontal direction for the dipped lights. (Both V & H for main beam)
I have no power to the motors yet but there should be a way of setting the zero position for the dipped lights.

Currently cut-off is about 10m ahead of me - OK for built up areas but useless for unlit roads with traffic.

Atik
12-02-2011, 03:12 PM
You should be able to turn those adjusting screws to move it someway at least.

Barney
12-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Atik,
There are only two available (the motor sits over the third) One is the pivot point and the other is the horizontal adjustment.
I think there must be a way of rotating the screw adjuster - but it looks like its a plastic hex - far smaller than the metal ones.

Apologies for using your photo

Atik
12-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Ahh, I see what you mean. Yep, does look that way now that you mention it. The motor makes the vertical adjustment so that ovbiously covers the extra adjuster.
Hmmm...

Edit, I just opened the motor casing and it appears that it will adjust using that hex plastic bit. Lemme just load up a pic.

See where the pin sits in the backing bit, the hex head will rotate clean in its position so I assume the pin must also do the same. I dont want to force it on mine just in case they get damaged...

Barney
12-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks Atik,
I guess the motor drive is geared so less force will be necessary on the spindle - but lots of turns

Barney

Barney
13-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Atik,

You'll need a 5mm socket, (and either smaller hands than me or lots of extensions or both) to reach/adjust them.
Adjustment is quite sensitive- it didn't take the "lots of turns" I expected.

ersanalamin
15-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Nice pic and explanation, guys does anyone of you willing to sell a pair of motor mechanism module to me? ha ha ha the price must be right off course he he plz respond

Atik
15-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Atik,

You'll need a 5mm socket, (and either smaller hands than me or lots of extensions or both) to reach/adjust them.
Adjustment is quite sensitive- it didn't take the "lots of turns" I expected.

Excellent info :)
I will probably fit them this weekend in that case. I've been holding off until I got the wiring/plugs sorted, but if its enough for an interim adjust, I'll probably do it that way... now to find a 5mm socket/spanner!