PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Power steering?

Zig_uk
12-12-2010, 10:35 PM
hi All
just bought a 1997 VR4 S mostly in excellent condition, but seem to have problem with power steering.
When car is cold Idle revs are about 1100 and steering is fine
when engine is nice and warm Idle revs drop to about 500-600, this seems to be affecting the power steering when at junctions or parking and the car is ticking over the steering makes an awful sound, not squealing but a duller loud sound. whilst driving steering works fine.
Checked fluid levels all ok, any idea's
Thanks

Nutter_John
12-12-2010, 10:38 PM
do the revs raise when on idle when you turn the steering ?

Davezj
12-12-2010, 10:43 PM
i will let john diagnose this, as the questions he asks will guide you to the correct answer.

Zig_uk
12-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Hi
when I 1st had a look at the fluid level I thought I would top it up to Max level as it was just above min, I turned wheel as far to left and topped up then turned max right, checked level all seemed ok then I just wound wheel left to right a number of times , whilst doing this I did notice the revs increase as I was turning the wheel,
After I topped it up I then took for a spin and whilst stopped at junctions again the revs seem low and when turning the wheel left and right a few times the rpm didn't seem to change much not enough to get rid of noise,
I have A Lexus Soarer with an auto box and I'm sure it Idles at about 900 rpm. I don't know what the idle rpm should be on the Legnum auto but I'm presuming not as low as 500-600 rpm
Thanks

Nutter_John
12-12-2010, 11:20 PM
The revs may be a little on the low side , 700 is quite normal . But your PS Pump sounds as if it is workig ok as the revs are going up ( should be to around 1000 rpm when turning the wheels ) if not then it could be your pressure regulator which is the gizmo with two vacumn pipes comming off it ( front left hand corner of the engine )

Zig_uk
12-12-2010, 11:25 PM
I noticed the revs got to approx. 1000 whilst parked up but when on the test drive it didn't seem to, I have to try and compensate by pressing the pedal slightly then the revs go up and seems to cure noise, it seems to get worse the hotter the engine gets , eg after a 20 min run.

Nutter_John
13-12-2010, 10:45 AM
There is a screw on the Throttle body where you can adjust the idle slightly higher see if you can raise it a little and then check the results