PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Needle Colour

ron_EA2A
25-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Has anybody changed the Speedo Needle Colour, e.g to red colour instead of orange? Is it just the bulb that needed to be changed? What bulb is it?

Big Ian
25-09-2004, 07:47 PM
i know when i changed the dial's on my last car to white one's,that the kit came with red paint...
but you can also use nail varnish,as the light shine's into the needle from behind
changing the colour of the bulb may not make any difference as the needle's are moulded in orange?

ron_EA2A
26-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Thanks for your advice. Please help again,
If i use nail vanish to paint it to red, do i need to change the original bulb to brighter ones? Because i think after using the nail vanish, the light would be harder to shine through. Do you know what bulb is it for the speedometer needle bit?

Big Ian
26-09-2004, 11:43 AM
i think the bulb's are the wedge type,which are normaly 5.5 watt (same as our side indicator's) but i'm not 100%?
ive had my dash out so as i could paint the surround,come's out rather easy :) the hardest bit is getting the first panel past the steering colum.again i can only say that when i painted my last car it did go a bitt dull'r :sad3:

...............................................(IA N'S TOP TIP) :-b...........................
:headsc: :idea: OK here's an idea..go to a model shop and see if you can get an ultraviolet paint,that way with a little less light you will still see the needle's as they will glow more from any light they will get :D

Big Ian
26-09-2004, 03:56 PM
...............................................(IA N'S TOP TIP) :-b...........................
:headsc: :idea: OK here's an idea..go to a model shop and see if you can get an ultraviolet paint,that way with a little less light you will still see the needle's as they will glow more from any light they will get :D

i meant fluorescent paint.....
also the tricky bit is removing the shroud (1st peice to be removed) as once you have undun the screw's you have to be firm when pulling it away,also i think you have to pull from the bottom edge's first?

Mirko
06-02-2005, 02:01 AM
I know two guys how repainted their needles.
They removed the orange color from the needle with a knife or something else.
It´s imported to get a clear and bright color.
Then they´ve painted the needles with color for glass from a modell shop.
Al least one have painted the reverse side of the needle with black color to avoid the needle send some light at the speedo.

I´ll post a pic soon if you want, but at the moment I´m not able to upload images.