PDA

View Full Version : WOW! Changed from Goodyear F1 to Michelin Exalto 2 tyres...

HMG1K
16-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Folks, I wanted to pass on my experience of running Michelin tyres on my Galant V6 Elegance.

Compared to the Goodyears the Michelin Exalto 2 are a million times better.

When I bought my Galant it came with Goodyear F1 tyres fitted - later I went for the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric tyres. These were OK, just that "OK." I managed to get around 8,000 miles out of the Goodyears. The road noise from them, I thought, was poor - as we know our cars aren't the best for soundproofing. Having never driven on the OEM 17" Sport alloys before (I'd been use to 15" on my old 6G Galant), I thought the noise and ride was the norm for the Galant Elegance, running on 17" rims.

Anyway, I needed two new tyres and decided to investigate Michelins and their reviews online. I'd always had Michelins on my 6G and got a staggering 40K miles out of a set of four. I opted for the Exalto 2 for my Elegance and the difference is instantly noticeable. Less road noise, better comfort, and they 'soak' up little bumps and pot holes in the road with ease. With the correct tyre pressure too, the Michelins look perfect - unlike the Goodyear F1 / F1 Asymmetric XLs which always looked on the front as if the tyres were under-inflated.

I've fitted the Exalto 2 XL (XL = stiffer side walls and are recommended for cars with 2.5 engines or above to take the weight better) to the front axle.

If you're considering new tyres - I'd recommend these, no contest!

Rambaud
16-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Is there a particular reason you put the Michelins on the front axle?

It is usual to put the newer tyres on the rear axle.

aboo
16-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Is there a particular reason you put the Michelins on the front axle?

It is usual to put the newer tyres on the rear axle.

Better to put the new tyres on the front of a V6 cause its front wheel drive.

bradc
16-12-2010, 06:59 PM
I noticed a similar thing moving from GSD3's to Toyo CT01's, there are quieter tyres out there than the GSD3's (and the Asymm's) but they don't offer the same grip levels.

HMG1K
16-12-2010, 10:00 PM

Yep, for that reason!

The ones that needing replacing were the back tyres, so I put the good ones on the front to the back and the fresh Michelins on the front as they are new and the car is front wheel drive. It's always good to move around the tyres too to even our wear.

Rambaud
17-12-2010, 10:56 AM

The driven wheel theory was what I was told many years ago, but that is no longer recommended by the tyre manufacturers :

"FOR COMPLETE CONTROL, FIT YOUR NEW TYRES TO THE REAR AXLE
Rear wheels are not connected to your steering wheel, which makes it extremely difficult to judge their grip while driving. We recommend that new tyres or the least worn tyres are fitted to the rear wheels to ensure:

[* Better control in emergency braking or tight corners when the roads are slippery.
* Less risk of losing control of your vehicle, especially on wet surfaces
* Better road holding, particularly in difficult situations, whether your car is front or rear wheel drive] - Michelin Tyres

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/care-guide/ten-tyre-care-tips

Also, Fifth Gear demonstrated the advantage of better rear tyres on a FWD car :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5YsQ_a_ijA

bradc
17-12-2010, 08:42 PM
If you hadf terrible tyres at the rear and great tyres at the front, then yes it could be a problem. But tyres of similar grip and quality, I don't see being a problem. Especially on a stock Galant which understeers like hell anyway!

Rambaud
17-12-2010, 09:41 PM
If you hadf terrible tyres at the rear and great tyres at the front, then yes it could be a problem. But tyres of similar grip and quality, I don't see being a problem. Especially on a stock Galant which understeers like hell anyway!

Unless it's due to a puncture, new tryres should mean better grip.