PDA

View Full Version : Is it the Tappets?

Physician
25-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Help/thoughts appreciated.

As it's the weekend my garage is obviously closed. Car had a high speed series of runs today. Three things all happened at the same time.

1] TCL warning light started flashing
2] Brake warning light lit up
3] Odd 'tappety' type sound started from engine bay.

The first two are self explanatory although I should add that when going around a bend/corner the TCL stops flashing but starts again almost instantly after the bend.

The tappety sound is additional to our normal VR4 tappet sound. There is what I can only describe as ONE extra tappet type sound (almost a 'click') but MUCH louder. After switching engine off for an hour, when started again this extra sound doesn't start for about 3/5 minutes. I put a large screwdriver point to various locations on and around the cylinder head and put my ear to the handle but couldn't hear anything untoward ..... normal tappets and all sounded 'sweet'. It's always hard to identify the source of various sounds but I could swear it's coming from somewhere very close to the cambelt area.

Being totally useless on car mechanics ........ can one have ONE really loud tappet sound whilst all the others are normal? Could it be another component in the general area of the tappet(s)? (Or can you think of a component in the cambelt area which may make this sound?)

Reading this question I feel like answering it myself by saying that how in the hell can you guys tell without hearing the sound ...... but I ask in case one of you tech wizards KNOWS what I'm talking about from previous experience.

thanks

Richard :sad3:

Physician
26-09-2004, 11:44 AM
OK ......... I've found the problem now so thinking caps off. :sad3:

Richard

The Vee
26-09-2004, 11:56 AM
What was it?

Nick Mann
26-09-2004, 10:16 PM
OK ......... I've found the problem now so thinking caps off. :sad3:

Why the sad face? What is it?

Physician
27-09-2004, 12:43 AM
Why the sad face? What is it?

Hi Nick,

Andy (TheVee) is aware of what the problem was as I spoke with him on the telephone ........ ummmm, do I really want to tell you the story?

Oh, OK I'll make a fool of myself .........

After a long time trying to find the source of the loud clicking I eventually located a very small gouge on the upper surface of the cam belt. (I had turned engine on and off a number of times to listen to it and obviously this time the belt had stopped in a position so that I could see the damage.)

On closer inspection I found that the belt had actually stripped open and a piece on the edge was flapping around and thus making the clicking sound. As the belt was fitted only some 400 miles ago I was livid.

Whilst asking Andy a few questions about it he was very sceptical about my description and asked some probing questions. Anyway, to cut a longer story short ........ the damaged belt wasn't the cam belt - it was the power steering belt. Which was also fitted new 400 miles ago.

Hence the :sad3: ........... Pffft what a prat.

I don't think it had been seated correctly when fitted and the edge of belt was overhanging one of the pulleys and thus got damaged.

Kieran
27-09-2004, 07:25 AM
I don't think it had been seated correctly when fitted and the edge of belt was overhanging one of the pulleys and thus got damaged.

I'm thinking that this is a common problem - far too many people suffer with this problem for it to be coincidence....BDA, Zedy1, Nick Mann, PolaBear..... They've all had the same problem. I wonder if it's worth you getting the power steering belt pulley checked out.... when BDA's belt snapped, it was discovered that said pulley was 'out', making the belt run off-centre....

Nick Mann
27-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Mine did do the same. Quadal had something new under warranty to fix it after he had the car. I think it was the pump? If you watch it with the engine running, are all the pulleys straight and true? A kink, wobble or alignment problem could cause the belt to jump off.

Check it again after they have sorted it. They put a new belt on mine after the first had been shredded, but it shredded that too! I guess if quadal had not spotted the real problem, they would have carried on changing belts for ever!

Physician
27-09-2004, 01:27 PM
Now THAT is very interesting information Kieran and Nick.

After I got my car back after all the belts (incl cam belt) were changed I had a good look at the new belts to make sure my garage had actually fitted the new ones because the old ones looked absolutely perfect (to MY eye).

I noticed the gap shown in the following photos but whereas I took particular note as it didn't SEEM usual I then discarded it as I thought all the grooves in the belt and ridges on the pulley MUST be married and seated correctly as there were no odd sounds and everything seemed to be working normally.

Now ....... should there be that gap marked or should the belt be flush with the right side of the pulley? (From the position the photo is taken)

(The screwdriver is simply there to hold apart the damaged side of the belt for the purpose of the photo)

I have booked an appointment with Mitsy garage tomorrow for a REPORT so that I can take it back to my garage for a free re-fit (unless something else has caused this issue).

Thanks

Richard

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/belt_1.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/belt_2.jpg

Nick Mann
27-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Exactly what mine did. Unfortunately, quadal sorted the problem so I can't say exactly what it was. Definitely a bent pulley and I think mitsy changed the whole pump (or whatever the pulley was attached to!).