PDA

View Full Version : An eventful evening at AP Motors

Spirit
26-09-2004, 01:08 AM
Well tonight was the night that Kevin at AP Motors was taking delivery of my VR4, and the plan was simple. Wizz both cars down to them and get the de-cat pipe back on and swap the wheels and a quick look over. Sean (Polabear) also decided to join us. Did it go to plan......well read on.

Firstly, a couple of pics of the two cars together.

Spirit
26-09-2004, 01:10 AM
Well, paperwork all done so it's off to AP and get her up onto the ramp.

Spirit
26-09-2004, 01:11 AM
Wheels are off - mmmm nice brakes :-b

Spirit
26-09-2004, 01:13 AM
First job, get the de-cat pipe back on. Simon said it was blowing a little so he put the cat back on. Clean up the surfaces and two gaskets either side should cure that ;)

Spirit
26-09-2004, 01:14 AM
Success ! :-b

De-cat pipe is on, and no blowing......here's a before and after:

Spirit
26-09-2004, 01:17 AM
Sean kindly offered a spare universal HKS SSQV, so while she was on the ramp we thought we would look at the pipework to see what modifications were required to get it to fit. Also Sean complained it was not loud enough, so here he is having a go at changing this by removing certain bits :-D

Spirit
26-09-2004, 01:18 AM
Now which side does it go on ? :laugh:

Not that you can see it too well here, but I had also spent some time polishing the Super Drager back into it's original colour.

Spirit
26-09-2004, 01:25 AM
A problem was found !

At some point in the past, someone must have done some work on the car and had damaged the connector from the pipe from the dump valve into the engine block - and botched it with some glue. It was hanging on by a thread (so to speak) and could have come off at any minute. Some 45 minutes later, and lots of cursing and swearing and another temporary fix was done - this is where I need to plea to Project VX to see if they still have this bit in their box of bits going spare ?

Here is the offending bit:

Spirit
26-09-2004, 01:26 AM
Wheels are swapped onto my old VR4 and must say I think they really suit the car :-b

Spirit
26-09-2004, 01:30 AM
So we go to put my Super Leg's on the new one.......and oh f**k, they are touching the KAD calipers :sad3:

Not to worry Kevin says, we should have some wheel spacers here somewhere !
Well after twenty minutes or so, he gives up the search. Then he remembers.....he has some on his car.....hooray ! So we reverse my old VR4 out and bring in his car to jack it up and nick the spacers - luckily they were just on his for show so will not be missed.

Success, the wheels are on......but damn there ain't much clearance.....in fact we measured it.....just 6mm between caliper and spokes ! Also notice the clearance from the edge of the disk to the weight on the wheel !

Spirit
26-09-2004, 01:37 AM
Well by now it was nearly 11.30pm so we called it a night.....well once Sean had to reconnect his turbo timer and sort out his boost gauge (but that's another story).

Goodbyes were said, and confirmed time on Tuesday night to fit the boost controller.

But that's not the end of it !

Driving home and going over every bump I was getting a metallic rattle, so wind down the windows and it's on both sides :dozey:

I thought - I recognise that sound.....sure it's the brake pad shims.....but we ain't touched them ?

So turn around, drive back to AP and it front wheels off, dismantle the calipers to get the shims out and bend them back a bit and it's all sorted. Looks like the air gun must have rattled them loose :(

Eventually get in the door at 12.15am - with a concerned wife waiting for me :lipsrseal

Only one other issue raised.......one rear strut is weeping and needs replacing - well might as well do both then so after a call to Mitsy on Monday it could be time to consider other options ...wink wink. ;)

Mental note......never use an air gun on the front wheels :laugh:

Polabear
26-09-2004, 10:01 AM
Well by now it was nearly 11.30pm so we called it a night.....well once Sean had to reconnect his turbo timer and sort out his boost gauge (but that's another story).

Goodbyes were said, and confirmed time on Tuesday night to fit the boost controller.

But that's not the end of it !

Driving home and going over every bump I was getting a metallic rattle, so wind down the windows and it's on both sides :dozey:

I thought - I recognise that sound.....sure it's the brake pad shims.....but we ain't touched them ?

So turn around, drive back to AP and it front wheels off, dismantle the calipers to get the shims out and bend them back a bit and it's all sorted. Looks like the air gun must have rattled them loose :(

Eventually get in the door at 12.15am - with a concerned wife waiting for me :lipsrseal

Only one other issue raised.......one rear strut is weeping and needs replacing - well might as well do both then so after a call to Mitsy on Monday it could be time to consider other options ...wink wink. ;)

Mental note......never use an air gun on the front wheels :laugh:

Hate windy wrenches anywhere near my ally's Fookin butchers tools....... :lipsrseal

Glad that connection has held together so far mate, the part you need is the plastic union from the front turbo which connects the rubber hose to the stock recirc dump v/v...... ;)

PS, your still married then.....I hope so, where else would I get Top scoff like that....Thanks again Shaz :lipsrseal ;)

Physician
27-09-2004, 12:48 AM
Those guys do you proud Pete ...... they always seem to be working late nights.

Actually, it's even more useful to you now that one of them has a VR4 as they will develop even more 'know-how'.

Kieran
27-09-2004, 07:15 AM
Actually, it's even more useful to you now that one of them has a VR4 as they will develop even more 'know-how'.

Very true! This can only be a good thing! :-b

Spirit
27-09-2004, 07:29 AM
Those guys do you proud Pete ...... they always seem to be working late nights.

Kevin was working from 9am until 2am every day last week :rolleyes5

Pola did say to him "Right you have two weeks to know every nut and bolt on this car" :laugh: