PDA

View Full Version : Wet weather driving!

Physician
26-09-2004, 01:10 AM
Charity event at Bruntingthorpe. The Snooper speed warning you will hear was set at 100 mph for this event.

The car in front of me is a 4.6 litre TVR S. We were hitting about 120/125 at the end of the straights and going through the chicane bollards at about 100 mph ...... in the wet was quite fun ! :-D

Sorry, not very good quality when compressed. :sad3:

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Movies/tvr.mov

Polabear
26-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Kinel Richard, good bit of film, you almost caught him at one point ;) guess he didn't like the corners when they started to get wetter..unlike a certain other marque of vehicle that we know..... :rolleyes5 well done mate, bet it was good fun... :D

Spirit
26-09-2004, 09:48 AM
Great footage Richard, looks like you are becoming another track-day addict too ;)

Physician
27-09-2004, 01:17 AM
Kinel Richard, good bit of film, you almost caught him at one point ;) guess he didn't like the corners when they started to get wetter..unlike a certain other marque of vehicle that we know..... :rolleyes5 well done mate, bet it was good fun... :D

Spirit:

Yes, I've got the bug alright - more cost!

Pola:

In the dry they were leaving me well behind but as soon as the rain started, as you say, they had to start tip-toeing around the bends. Having said that, the guy I was chasing in the video has been tracking for over 20 years and was an impressive driver keeping it all together in the wet with such a lot of power available - 4.6 litres!

Interestingly, yet again, although these guys knew a lot about cars and driving they didn't know much about the VR4. Here's a couple of posts they made on another forum:

Me: VR4

"As Julian mentioned - the rain ......... made for some great fun and I thoroughly enjoyed the couple of laps trying my hardest to keep up with Peter's TVR V8 S. Of course, it was all the spray that kept me behind you Peter! You guys are damn good drivers keeping your cars on the track in such wet conditions ....... it was easy for me with all my 'safety' systems - ASC, AYC, TCL, ABS etc etc although I switched TCL off for a bit more fun.

Other memories .... those two awesome BMW CSL's (me makes mental note NOT to 'play' with THEM on the road). Well driven guys.

Many thanks to David for taking my 15 year old daughter out in his Porsche Carrera RS ...... she was ecstatic about it all the way home. Guess what ....... my car is now *rap and I'm being told I need a Porsche, preferably yellow. Interestingly David, she told me that you maxed at about 195 kph and she had previously been watching my speedo and told me that I was hitting 120/122 mph at the end of the straights. A conversion when I got home showed that we had almost identical max speeds although I have no doubt you were achieving better in the dry. (Oh, I should add that she thought that your car was MUCH faster because she didn't realise that my speedo only read mph and yours kph!!)

Nice to have met all of you."

Quote: Julian - TVR Tuscan

"Hi there
Peter and I were commenting what a good job you were making of getting your car quickly around the track .. I wa so impressed with it I've added it to my desirable-car shortlist .. a proper street sleeper

That yellow RS was gorgeous wasn't it? .. proper road racer / track racer hybrid."

Quote: Peter - TVR V8 S

"Excellent driving from Richard, that Gallant is a fast car but I was asonished just how fast you were hustling it around the track! Hope the ticking noises have sorted themselves out now."

Jimbo
27-09-2004, 10:49 AM
I do so like the 195mph comment. Rich, all you need to do is convert your speedo to KPH and you're daughter will be EVEN more impressed!!! :laugh:

How's the cambelt looking, BTW? Taking it in today? Give 'em hell....

Polabear
28-09-2004, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=Jimbo

How's the cambelt looking, BTW? Taking it in today? Give 'em hell....[/QUOTE]

Ooops.. something your not telling us Richard.... :lipsrseal