PDA

View Full Version : AYC pump refurb / upgrade

Kryton
20-12-2010, 08:40 PM
As all of you are probably more than aware, the AYC pumps are not exactly brilliant on our cars. At the minute the choices if you have a problem are:

1. Source a 2nd hand one - Never going to be sure how long it will last
2. Buy a new one - £1200 + vat from Mitsi
3. Source & fit RS diff - Normally circa £600
4. Source & fit SAYC - Normally circa £600 & could still have issues with ACD & involve dropping to service easier

I think that the best, logical route would be to refurbish our existing ones, maybe using uprated parts.

I am going to spend a bit of time researching this whilst off (I have 2 weeks off for Christmas :jester:) would anyone else on here be interested in a refurb if I can find someone willing to do it & more info on what it would consist of? If I could get an idea of numbers, so I can see what sort of cost I can get it down to, it would be appreciated.

Nutter_John
20-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Harry Hockley do refurbs of AYC pumps for £150+vat + parts

RS diff setup up is closer to £1500 in good condition , Try Rosssport on MLR as he sells the full kit with driveshafts

Kryton
20-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Thats one of the places I was going to try. Thought I would use my MLR account for the first time in months. Not as friendly as on here :)

Davezj
20-12-2010, 09:48 PM
didn't rogerrally do pump refurbs on here,
not sure rogerrally is the correct name could be different but somebody will know who i am talking about.

Louis
20-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Yes, Roger Rally, did refurbs for £350 plus your old pump.

Nutter_John
20-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Thats why I suggested HH as they are cheaper and have seen some good results from there work

Kryton
21-12-2010, 02:12 AM
Excellent, thanks for the feedback & info guys :)

chris g
21-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Surely if you have SAYC then AYC pump continues to be a possible problem area - why would ACD be part of the equation...?

And I would actually say that AYC pumps are brilliant on VR-4 and Evos but they wear out and are ridiculously expensive to replace...

Nutter_John
21-12-2010, 11:58 AM
The pump on the 8/9 evo is different as it does also control the acd , this is just a single extra line from the pump applying pressure to the center diff - It was also redesigned for this purpose
So yes Chris is correct that going to a SAYC you will still need a healthy AYC pump