PDA

View Full Version : hamilton silver paint

VR4Kaos
22-12-2010, 11:41 PM
due to my recent encounter with a bush im having a red bumper resprayed hamilton silver but my concern is the colour difference on the bumper to the body work how can this be redone the exact same as it was

swinks
23-12-2010, 12:35 AM
It can't be done to the exact same shade of paint. It's due to different material you are painting. If you look closely at Galants pictures i.e. for sale in any of websites, then in full sun you will notice different shadow of body paint on bumpers and other parts, especially silver is PITA.

John TheAntique
23-12-2010, 01:17 AM
www.paints4u.com do it and supply touch up kits.

VR4Kaos
23-12-2010, 10:03 AM
i can get the paint john thats not the issue its on the plasics the silver is a different shade and im wanting to respray the new bumper that exact shade but worried that if i buy the halmilton siver it will mach the body work and not the plasics so thought they may be a cheat mode lol

John TheAntique
23-12-2010, 10:17 AM
If you can get it to the fourth isle on the left at B &Q they can zap it with their colour coder and tell you the exact mix. Easy.

VR4Kaos
23-12-2010, 10:30 AM
If you can get it to the fourth isle on the left at B &Q they can zap it with their colour coder and tell you the exact mix. Easy.

aint that emulsion tho john lol

HPRULZ
23-12-2010, 11:11 AM
The chips away guys can scan it for you too and give you the exact colour combination, When mine was done turns out hamilton silver contains 2 differant blues and a red! but the match is spot on.

Kev

Atik
23-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Karl, you will have to just accept a certain level of difference. How much of a difference is up to you. When I had my front and rear bumpers painted, they were and still are definitely different shades of hamilton silver. I can accept that as it would be very difficult to match.

It would also be very difficult to match the 13/14 years of weathered paintwork you have on the car. A new paint job will be minty fresh and look too clean on the car anyway.

I am also sure that I read somewhere here that the paints used have flecks of different colours in them. I am certain mine has green flecks because in certain lights, the car cas a green/silver glow to it, but the bumpers are silver/silver.

swinks
23-12-2010, 11:32 AM
That's what I'm trying to say Atik. Even brand new silver Galants had a different colour shadow on bumpers in a sunny bright weather. Karl you trying be better than factory.../lol

Atik
23-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Karl, have a word with Keith. He's got his bodyshop up and running so can do a full respray for ya ;)

VR4Kaos
23-12-2010, 01:10 PM
im not trying to match the body work paint with the bumper im aware and fully accept that the colour difference is factory and thats why i want to replecate so it still looks original sorry for the missunderstanding peeps

Humpty's Revenge
23-12-2010, 01:13 PM
You will need to remove most of the red Karl otherwise it could bleed through in time. That`s my own personal opinion as it happened to a mate a few years ago.

AderC
23-12-2010, 02:30 PM
I got an aerosol of hamilton silver from http://auto-paint.co.uk/carpaint/index.php

VR4Kaos
24-12-2010, 01:39 PM
I got an aerosol of hamilton silver from http://auto-paint.co.uk/carpaint/index.php

but which dose it match the bodywork or plastics ?

elnevio
24-12-2010, 03:36 PM
It's the same colour on the bodywork and the plastics. As I understand it, the slight visual difference arose due to a different primer/undercoat being used - i.e. one type for the plastic material, and one type for the metal panels.

hardarse
24-12-2010, 03:57 PM
hi silver is one of the hardest colours to make it match. you will almost have to blend into all adjacent panels. the distance you spray, the amount you put on, the pressure of the gun. and more. if you want it to look different like the original finish that is easy done. there is variants to our paint so some might have a different flek to others. you will mix a small amount of paint put it on a spray out card and offer it up to the car. and adjust the mixture till you have a match. unless you have a few grand and buy one of the machines that will get it about right.

funkstardelux
30-01-2011, 04:37 PM
to try and make it so it doesn't stand out as much u need to blow the colour into the panels close by