PDA

View Full Version : Just what this country needs

Ryan
25-12-2010, 07:53 PM
More revenue generated from the "evil" that is speeding:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10696525

Kryton
25-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Sound like Specs cameras. We have had them over hear for years. Quite annoying but at least the traffic seems to flow better where they are & if you go past the 1st one too quick, it gives you a chance to slow down (so mates have told me)

Goku
26-12-2010, 02:40 AM
They have had them on the cards for the past 2 years, guess it was just a matter of $$ to implement them.

scottie2hotti
26-12-2010, 05:15 AM
and these trust me we really need these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJaqJ4vWsY8

Zitchu
26-12-2010, 10:27 AM
What happens if you take much longer then you should between the points? Nothing I bet......

Subaru ETA
26-12-2010, 10:39 AM
That's what I was thinking. Then the guy who over takes the slow person will be the one getting the ticket

elnevio
26-12-2010, 10:48 AM
If they are going to implement effective speed control/deterrent cameras, then the SPECS-style ones are the best way to go. As Kryton has said, they do tend to allow for better traffic flow, and there is no last second braking - both of which are more likely to cause accidents than the speeding itself. When I had the V6, I would just turn the cruise control on at 50mph, and coast all the way through the controlled zone.

They do really need to be used at accident blackspots (the very reason that speed cameras were granted a licence in the UK all the way back in the early '90s), as further use as apparent 'money-making' machines only further alienates the public.

My biggest concern is when they decide to link them all up, and also leave them running all night, so if you are travelling at a safe speed on the motorway in the early hours of the morning (but a safe speed that is deemed to be illegal by way of an arbitrary number being applied, blanket-fashion) you get a ticket in the post a few days later.

Mind you, the SPECS cameras are great if you are a motorcyclist, as you can go as fast as you like!

And when they were first out over here, they could be outfoxed (only on two-lane or bigger roads) by ensuring you were in a different lane at the next camera!

elnevio
26-12-2010, 10:51 AM
That's what I was thinking. Then the guy who over takes the slow person will be the one getting the ticket

Only if he grabs his number-plate on the way past! These cameras use ANPR technology to make sure they've got the right vehicle.

Gly
26-12-2010, 08:24 PM
007 style license plate technology, and flip up plates will solve that camera issue :)

low_vr4
26-12-2010, 10:39 PM
my friend said he had this special spray that you could apply to certain letters/numbers of your plate and it would reflect meaning the camera couldnt pick them up

Kryton
27-12-2010, 01:31 AM
This issue with that spray is that if you look at the normal image, you cannot see it, but on the negative you still can, which then means you get screwed for trying to avaid the law. Not only that, the anpr within the police cars will notice that they can't see your plate, get flagged up & then you will get pulled anyway & get a bigger fine. I completely agree with Nev & actually prefer these cameras, but annoying on emply roads

Ryan
27-12-2010, 01:44 AM
No ANPR cameras in police cars here... at least not yet. I've seen them over in New South Wales though.

HICKSY
27-12-2010, 12:10 PM
I love how they say it's not revenue gathering and then write:
"The top earning fixed camera was on State Highway 1 at Sanson, where more than 9800 tickets were issued in the first nine months of the year."
The top earning - haha, love it.

mattnz
28-12-2010, 02:28 AM
Well it's not like the police wrote the article.

rayray24
28-12-2010, 06:14 AM
I think they should only be doing this on motorways in citys, What If you push you car to the limits and corner hard but don't do over 100kph. So you might get there faster that way. Bad example using the desert road.

mattnz
28-12-2010, 07:11 AM
They're not saying that at all.

If you average over 100km/h over a stretch of road, there's no way you were doing under 100km/h for the whole time.

fluffnik
28-12-2010, 07:55 PM
We must make no mistake:

Speed enforcement racketeers are the enemy.

We should do everything in our power to destroy these organisations and their supporters - trash their reputations at every opportunity, write to your electeds frequently, dig dirt on them, etc, etc...

With a bit of effort we can bring these nasty self serving little empires tumbling down...

No-one will miss them. :D

rayray24
29-12-2010, 05:44 AM
They're not saying that at all.

If you average over 100km/h over a stretch of road, there's no way you were doing under 100km/h for the whole time.

I was thinking that they would drive it themselfs, doing the recommended corner speed and 100 on the straights, getting the time from that. It just flawed. Meaning if you are a driver that can do more than the recommended with ease you will have to do 80 on the straights or stop before the time. We don't have the roads to make this happen.

mattnz
29-12-2010, 07:07 AM
Well then you didn't read the third paragraph of the article.

KiwiTT
29-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Which is why I think averaging 100kph on a winding road is so much more fun ...

Ryan
29-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Which is why I think averaging 100kph on a winding road is so much more fun ...

Hi Richard! Drove past you this afternoon on Tamaki drive :)

rayray24
30-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Well then you didn't read the third paragraph of the article.

What about papagraph 7? They put a time limit on the desert Rd when some may be able to do it faster than that and still on be doing 100? What I'm saying is where/who comes up with the "how long" inbetween points. They need a base to avg your speed dist/time= your speed, but their time??. IF.... they are giving you a buffer to combat this, then go slow around the corners and boost it on the straights, how will the porve it, you can say "just went around the coners a bit faster officer"? Either way I still think this can only work on long straight roads. Like the USA and auto-barn.

Nutter_John
30-12-2010, 12:20 AM
They way they work is time over a set distance , so if the two cameras are 10 km apart and you cover that distance quicker than 6 mins then you have exceeded the speed limit , if you did it in 5 mins then your average over 10km would be 120km

it does not matter if you do 110 down the starights and 50 round the bends as long as the average is within the speed limit you are fine , but don't forget you could drive at 200km for 2 mins and slow down to 50km for the rest and sill be under the average speed limit

scottie2hotti
02-01-2011, 09:38 PM
but don't forget you could drive at 200km for 2 mins and slow down to 50km for the rest and sill be under the average speed limit

See thats what Id probably do. Except 50km after doing 200 seems like you may aswell hop out and walk

KiwiTT
02-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Got my first demerit after 20+ years or driving.

My own fault - I was warned about the Napier Taupo Highway and I should not have really pushed it overtaking the last car.

114kmph and 20 points on my licence. Thankfully only $80

BEG4ME
03-01-2011, 01:30 AM
That's the thing now though. Fines are heaps cheaper but the demerits are what concern me the most. I've only been caught once speeding, and that was because i turned around to help my sister and missed the speed sign. The trick is, to not speed in stupid zones, like long straights, at stupid times.
If you are seen by a cop that is travelling the opposite direction (and you are being naughty) best to boost off and take the next available driveway to hide. Has worked well for me.