PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox problem

gordon-vr4
28-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Just got a legnum, think there is problem with gearbox :annoyed:

The car drives ok goes into all gears fine, but when in neutral sounds like grinding and bumping. Also there is leak from gearbox, no fluid left in it causin problem? Anyone else had similar problem??

Thanks

Nutter_John
28-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Have you checked the fuild level ?

Where is the leak from the gearbox , if it is between the gearbox and engine then it could be the torque convertor seal which is known to fail .

I would advise againts driving it until you have worked out what is going on as you may end up destroying your gearbox

gordon-vr4
28-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Forgot to say car is manual. I will need to jack car up to have a look, its very low. Also check fluid level. Been told car has had clutch bout 3 mths ago.

I aint driving car dont wanna do further damage.

Nutter_John
28-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Now you have said that it is a manual ignore the Torque convertor bit

There is no way to check the level apart from removing the fill bolt and seeing if anything comes out ( a little should drip out on a level surface)

The noise could be the release bearing , does it rattle when you hold the clucth in ?

Only other thing I can think of is the selector forks in the box as knackered which is a rebuild jobby

GalantOnly
28-12-2010, 01:00 AM
The noise could be the release bearing , does it rattle when you hold the clucth in ?

/yes
That's it

Subaru ETA
28-12-2010, 02:19 AM
I'd say it's the input shaft bearing - when that fails it takes the seal out with it, causing it to leak gear oil out of the bell housing

Nutter_John
28-12-2010, 06:25 AM
Spoke with Gordon via IM and the noise is the RB as it stops when the clutch is de-pressed , he is going to take it to a garage to get them to remove the gearbox and then decide what to do as the clucth was supposed to have been changed not long ago and I suspect they just changed the plate and thats it .

Shame as Gordon only picked up the car yesterday , the old owner was StephenV6 who posted up a what is my car worth thread a few days ago

Gly
29-12-2010, 10:16 AM
input shaft bearing and seal, (in the gearbox)
nothing to do with the clutch or its operation

dump the gearbox oil and you'll find it full of metal,
depending on how long its been stuffed for, parts of the bearing casing and ball bearings.

only a few $$ for the parts, 6-8 hours labour average

been there done that,
semi-common failure part on the manual trans

Subaru ETA
29-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Yup as i said. The release bearing won't cause it to leak oil. The noise goes away when the clutch is depressed when the input shaft bearing fails also, due to the fact the clutch stops the gear box turning. If you dump the oil it will have some nice chunks in it

gordon-vr4
29-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Car is booked into The Garage performance garage in Wishaw tomo, any ideas if it is above noted problem, cost all in?

cheers guys

Nick Mann
29-12-2010, 04:12 PM
You should expect around £250 to drop the box, have a very quick look-see and replace. Time and parts on top of that can keep climbing. If you are lucky and it is the release bearing then that is sub £50 and there should be no additional labour cost. If it is the input shaft bearing, then the cost is a bit of an unknown for me, but will depend on what other components are worn or damaged.

Gly
29-12-2010, 09:04 PM
If you are lucky and it is the release bearing

it wont be as the noise would be on clutch on,
and not on clutch off as descibed,

the part should only take an hour to change once the box is out,
split the box, remove gearset, pull off old bearing and press on the new one, reassemble

Nutter_John
29-12-2010, 09:08 PM
if the RB is kanckered it will rattle when not under load ( eg with the clutch un-used ) , when you press the pedal in the bearing is under load therefore the bearing is pushed into the pressure plate and prevents it from making noise

have seen this a few times on cars and deffo on one vr4

Nick Mann
29-12-2010, 11:07 PM
John - It is a pull type clutch, not push, (I know you know that!) but I get what you mean. The problem is that depressing the clutch pedal not only changes the forces on the release bearing, but it also allows the input shaft to stop spinning. Therefore I don't think either can be ruled out. Unfortunately, I have not heard of a release bearing issue, I have only heard of input shaft bearing issues.

Nutter_John
29-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Yeah sorry nick it is a pull type :)

Heard it on a vr4 years ago , think it was a user called gazman

twisted32
04-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Input shaft bearing rollover noise. It was a common problem, even from new that Mitsi knew about.
Replacing the bearing does not gaurantee the noise will stop which is actually the ball bearing "rolling around" in their cage.
If their is no chunks on the drain plug (bearing cage material), I would monitor it untill you have to pull the box out for the clutch etc. It all depends on how much noise you have, mine was a slight metallic rattle when the oil was hot. When I replaced the bearing when I did the clutch, it did go away, and has not returned.

Subaru ETA
04-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Input shaft bearing rollover noise. It was a common problem, even from new that Mitsi knew about.
Replacing the bearing does not gaurantee the noise will stop which is actually the ball bearing "rolling around" in their cage.
If their is no chunks on the drain plug (bearing cage material), I would monitor it untill you have to pull the box out for the clutch etc. It all depends on how much noise you have, mine was a slight metallic rattle when the oil was hot. When I replaced the bearing when I did the clutch, it did go away, and has not returned.

Did he not say that it had an oil leak? That would tell me the the bearing has completely fallen apart and taken the seal out with it

Nutter_John
04-01-2011, 09:21 PM
David when I spoke to Gordon he could not confrim where the leak was comming from , so both of you could / are right :)