PDA

View Full Version : What's this ....

Physician
27-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Having all sorts of issues suddenly.

Shredding power steering belt. TCL warning light and red brake warning light comes on after about 2 miles from cold. Resetting ECU doesn't work. Then was doing about 30 mph and engine cut out completely and would NOT start again. Battery OK ...... had to get a low loader to take it to garage - still wouldn't start. Mechanic manually turned it over and all OK there. Tried to start it again - zilch.

Anyway, after 10 mins or so he tried it again and it started - he hadn't done anything!!! He thinks that it's probably a sensor somewhere but needs a Mutt to get the data.

Whilst he was looking around he noticed oil leaking from somewhere and eventually thought it was probably coming from (or very close to) the item arrowed. He doesn't want to remove it without knowing what it is and whats behind it. Anyone know?

Thanks

(a very pi**ed off) Richard

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/engine.jpg

Kieran
27-09-2004, 08:35 PM
That looks like the Idle speed control stepper motor assembly.

It often blights the FTO, and a breakdown of the fault, it's symptoms and solution can be found here:

http://www.funky-fto.co.uk/idling.html

If it's already got oil weeping from it, then someone may have bodged a repair on it before, or oil vapor has clogged the bugger up!

strangebat
27-09-2004, 10:37 PM
i've had a similar problem, that is the idle control servo, 2 8mm bolts hold it in, remove it and give it a good clean as it says in the fto article, i also cleaned the throttle body inside with wyyns carb cleaner ( it was manky inside it), then adjusted the idle on completion, it made a hell of a difference.

strangebat
27-09-2004, 10:39 PM
another thing if you are going to clen the throtle body remember to plug the bypass (2 holes on bottom of intake) according to w'shop manual no solvent must git inot them or it will knacker any seals within.

Physician
28-09-2004, 12:24 AM
Top information and help Kieran and Strangebat ......... sincere thanks. Will let you know how we get on.

Thanks,

Richard

Jimbo
28-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Fat lot of good I was then! So, it was the power steering belt I was looking at? :$ :$

Sorry, mate. Hope you get sorted cheaply and quickly... :(

Physician
28-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Fat lot of good I was then! So, it was the power steering belt I was looking at? :$ :$

Sorry, mate. Hope you get sorted cheaply and quickly... :(

Heh Jimbo ........ you and me, both! My chat with you simply confirmed that I WAS looking at the cam belt ......... only to find out later it was the power steering belt. Hahahahahah, have to laugh at both of us.

Rich :sad3:

PS: the big round black rubber things on each corner are tyres! :lipsrseal