PDA

View Full Version : Turbo upgrade list

paulg23
06-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Every so often a thread starts or gets resurrected about fitting alternative turbos to our cars. These then seem to get a lot of responses and then eventually peter out and become dormant again reaching no real conclusion other than it isn't easy and it isn't cheap.

How about a list of successful conversions and some detail of what was used and how? From looking through the threads the TD04 can be fitted using an adapter plate - anyone got a drawing of such a plate? I think someone machined the mounting flange on a TD04 so it sat at an angle negating the need to modify the firewall with a big hammer - any details on this machining?

Paul

foxdie
09-01-2011, 01:28 AM
I'd like to know how difficult it'd be to fit a pair of these puppies (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-850-T5-R-2-3-96-97-TD04HL-TURBOCHARGER-TURBO-/200498431254?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eaea34516#ht_1035wt_864) :)

bradc
09-01-2011, 03:43 AM
At that price it would be hard not to consider those. They'd see you up to about 480hp too!

Nick Mann
09-01-2011, 11:48 AM
I'd like to see the exhaust side before commenting.

Gowf
09-01-2011, 02:44 PM
From my memory, they use Garret flanges. I could be wrong, but even so....... they will be no easier than fitting any other TD04. I.e. a royal pain in the arse and wallet. Buying the turbo's isnt the expense. Mine were £700 for the pair new, but lets face it..... £700 wasn't even pocket change by the time i'd finished

foxdie
09-01-2011, 03:08 PM
I've asked the guy for more photos, incidentally the guy is based in Birmingham :)

ILLEGAL
10-01-2011, 07:57 AM
i like the single turbo route!

i have the 2L motor (6a12tt) and have had no issues with the evo 4-9 TD05HR.. i have since gone to a Chinese TD06 25G turbo which would suit your car much better than mine. i have no boost in 1st gear! second gives a good pull by 5500rpm... then 3rd, 4th and 5th are good to go by 4500rpm. i miss the rush the TD05 gave me with my 2L but the TD06 has alot better top end and still only on 15psi :) feels like the td05 did on 23psi.

my 2cents anyway.

foxdie
10-01-2011, 10:59 AM
I'd like to know how difficult it'd be to fit a pair of these puppies (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-850-T5-R-2-3-96-97-TD04HL-TURBOCHARGER-TURBO-/200498431254?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eaea34516#ht_1035wt_864) :)

Got a response, guy says he's got no other photos and to "check the part number is compatible", I did stress this was for another vehicle but I'm guessing they're just too busy to take a few damned photos :/

foxdie
10-01-2011, 11:07 AM
I did however just find this on Google..

Most 850/70 cars came with TD04HL-15G-7 turbos. Which is also a TD04 cartridge, H onboard CBV, L (I donno, something performance related), a 15G compressor wheel, which MIHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) refers to as their 'motorsport' wheel because it has TWO different height sets of blades on the compressor wheel. The 7cm2 exhaust housing is the difference that started all this.

Images of the TD04HL-15G here (http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=TD04HL-15G&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1242&bih=780)

Gowf
10-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Jason, with flanges like that its no easy task to get them on. So you may be saving money on buying turbos, but your still looking at custom manifolds if you want the job done properly which is expensive.... You are looking at the best part of 2k before you begin... and thats if you can find someone to do them. If not, then its Hayward and Scott. And then if you're forking out 2k on manifolds, you may aswell just get some garrett ball bearings on there, although, thats another £1500-2000.

foxdie
10-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Okay, if that's the case, what would you recommend?

What's the cheapest path to get to, lets say 400HP without the use of nitrous?

Wodjno
10-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Okay, if that's the case, what would you recommend?

What's the cheapest path to get to, lets say 400HP without the use of nitrous?

Run it on a Dyno in NZ /Hmmm :evil2: :monkey::coat

foxdie
10-01-2011, 06:44 PM

Teehee, those shee.. oh I can't say that publicly ;) :)

swinks
10-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Glenn, still not cheap, you have to freight car to NZL...:joker:

Jason, from budget options, have you considered either:
- pair of used TD04 from Scubi and go Kochajj way
- brand new KKR280 and madhav way
Seriously, I'm thinking of second scenario where the most complicated job seems to be making exhaust pipes between turbos and downpipe.

bradc
10-01-2011, 09:37 PM
My car has had the stock turbos rebuilt and the exhaust side is significantly bigger than stock. Perhaps that is the easiest way to get to the 380-400hp range? Basically everything else requires a lot of work!

If you really want to do it on a budget, I would suggest that a single turbo isn't a bad way to go. You can use the stock exhaust manifolds, then have a pipe leading from each of them to a turbo sitting above the gearbox. That way you don't have to pay for manifolds or two turbos!

Adam.Findlay
11-01-2011, 02:51 AM
check out oz vr4 theres a build thread on there of a man who put 2x garrett gt2554r's on his legnum and was seeing almost 280awkw with aftermarket engine management, fuel pump and injectors, could be worthy info for you

Gowf
11-01-2011, 03:29 PM
I would definitely say that a single turbo would be cheaper, but then you still need everything else to make it work... its not just a case of bolting turbos on and off you go....

But again, it all depends on how well you want the job done, and how long you want it to last..... But what you will need for your twin setup is:
new manifolds (unless you do use the adapters and yes the scoobie td04's are better)
2 turbos (up to you whether you want recon new or 2nd hand)
depending on how the front tub is mounted maybe some push fans... which means saying goodbye to aircon..... although, you may be able to get away with using a thinner pull fan and keep it
new downpipes made (no real way around this im afraid, at the very least you'l need 2 elbows from the turbo)
new induction pipework from the turbos (stock Ypipe can be modified)
new inlet pipework to the turbos (depending on your choice of ecu, you individual filters also, but your looking at relocating your battery in that instance)
new oil feed and return lines for the turbos (no point even thinking about using the standard ones, as you should change them anyway when changing turbos)
Potentialy new water feed and return lines (pretty simple to do though just with some 8mm hose)
I'd recommend a bigger intercooler
injectors
fuel pump
FPR
ECU (piggy back or standalone will do the job depending on budget)

So, cheapest way of getting to 400BHP? Buy a skyline!

foxdie
11-01-2011, 03:37 PM
So, cheapest way of getting to 400BHP? Buy a skyline!

Yeah but where is the fun in that? Someone I once knew said this to me;

The real fun is in the chase, not the naked girl stood in front of you

:)

Gowf
11-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Yeah but where is the fun in that? Someone I once knew said this to me;

:)

Having done both, yes i bought a R33GTST as a runaround when the gaylant was off the road for the build, I would honestly say in all seriousness, i wish i'd never started the whole thing and just bought the skyline.

My liner was a very good example of an unmolested one, at least until i got it, but it was just better. Heresy maybe, but that chase has truly ruined my life financially, as it never ends... there is then always something that will break until everything is capable of handling what youve done to it.

I say this, then go on to do what im now building, but yeah i do concur. Just be aware, and this was my main reason for scrapping mine, once you get to a level the car loses its indentity.... its not the friendly daily driver (mine was a wee bit savage), nor is it ever quick enough (was just too heavy), so what did it end up being? Im still unsure, but it would never have been what i wanted (shame it took best part of 20k to realise that) so it had to end and be reborn with a true purpose in mind.

A bit of a rant, but this is a good rule of thumb for any sort of build.... Price it up, adjust this price dependent on your budget (using cheaper parts, cutting corners or whatever), then double the price you allowed for your budget and your somewhere close to what its going to cost you.

giblet
11-01-2011, 04:27 PM
check out oz vr4 theres a build thread on there of a man who put 2x garrett gt2554r's on his legnum and was seeing almost 280awkw with aftermarket engine management, fuel pump and injectors, could be worthy info for you

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?9234-ROBS-6a13tt-TWIN-GARRETT-UPGRADE I'm guessing that the thread? Read it from start to finish and thats an awesome project!

bradc
11-01-2011, 06:54 PM
The R33 is a coupe and rwd, depends on what you want.

Pugme
11-01-2011, 10:20 PM
im with gowf, having invested 10 years and around the 80K mark in building a showcar (my goal wasnt power it was style), no project is ever really finished, and nothing will ever work out as you planned. i did achieve what i wanted, and the car is now in storage and will come back one day to be revamped. but for now im happy doing bits to the legnum, but i fully understand what Gowf is saying as iv been there before and i think hearing it from him makes me realise, do not get carried away with the legnum! it is what it is.

once you begin to modify it is a never ending journey, but this is why we are all here, No? :)

Adam.Findlay
11-01-2011, 11:10 PM
http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?9234-ROBS-6a13tt-TWIN-GARRETT-UPGRADE I'm guessing that the thread? Read it from start to finish and thats an awesome project!

thats the one i didt have the time to track it down the other day but its an intresting read. was making 280+ flywheel hp @ 6 psi i think

Gowf
12-01-2011, 01:37 AM
The R33 is a coupe and rwd, depends on what you want.

I think the requirement was 400bhp? my point was if you want a reliable estate car at around 300bhp get a leggie..... If you want a 400bhp estate car for resonable money, get a stagea (what ever the ugly buggers are called). If you want more than that and reliability, remortgage and get an RS6.

My main point as pointed out by Darren above, is that the cars are what they are.... if you want to make them something they are not, be prepared for them to not turn out the way you want for the price your willing to pay.... You dont want to be in the situation where you've poured so much money in but are nowhere near finished, forcing you to keep spending regardless to finish what youve started without cutting your losses.

End of the day, not everyone has an endless supply of money, or access to a NZ dyno!

foxdie
12-01-2011, 10:10 AM
or access to a nz dyno!

/catfight