PDA

View Full Version : unlimited boost and fuel cut????

holure
08-01-2011, 12:54 AM
what is the point in this,
and how is ity possible?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Mitsubishi/Other/auction-345211900.htm

Nick Mann
08-01-2011, 01:12 AM
It stops the car cutting fuel when air flow exceeds ecu limits. It normally does this by capping the signal from the MAF.

It is basically very dangerous without some kind of method to check you aren't running lean. Stick one of these on and raise the boost a lot and then listen to your engine kill itself when you hit the go pedal.

Owen87
08-01-2011, 01:18 AM
Is it dangerous? My neighbour has a evo VI and when you really give it the beans and accelarate hard, the engine cuts out when the fuel cut comes! What sort of damage could it do?

holure
08-01-2011, 01:18 AM
thought it carnt b good, i have a MAP2 ecu and the standard vr4 turbos max out at 15psi any way.

low_vr4
08-01-2011, 08:23 AM
thought it carnt b good, i have a MAP2 ecu and the standard vr4 turbos max out at 15psi any way.

Get a boost controller like mine

Nutter_John
08-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Repeated fuel cut and cause the engine to go bang if you keep running the car into it , remember fuel cut is telling you something is not right .

Suggest your matey with the evo gets it remmapped to sort the casue

Nick Mann
08-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Getting fuel cut repeatedly is not a good thing, but at least the car is trying to prevent irreparable damage. The item in the first link stops the car trying to protect itself which makes the whole issue many times worse.

foxdie
08-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Just a slight thread hijack here..

Fuel cut is just that, the fuel supply to the engine gets shut off to prevent it running too lean and going bang, that's how 99% of EFI engines work these days
Ignition cut is an alternative to the above method, instead of sharply cutting off the fuel, the ignition (ie. the spark that ignites the air/fuel mixture) is cut / skipped

Overall, which would you guys say is preferable and least risky? Instinct for me is to say ignition cut because it'll leave mixture in the engine to keep it running cooler, however that air / fuel mixture has to detonate someplace, so chances are it'll detonate in the exhaust manifold when another detonated mixture is emitted from another cylinder.. which could damage the turbos, cat (if fitted) and possibly even the pipework.

Nick Mann
08-01-2011, 02:42 PM
If I understand it right, excessive temperature in the cylinders can lead to a dieseling effect, where the temperature alone is enough to cause the bang without the spark. If that is the case, then ignition cut might not save you. Fuel cut works, IMO, but it is a safety net and not something you should be relying on daily.

thfelipeth
09-01-2011, 12:40 AM
yea not a nice thing! when i first installed my boost controller is came across this problem.. i was only runninng 10 psi. but that was enough to make it cry.. turned it down to 8psi through the boost controller and that was still noticebly more powerfull than stock...