PDA

View Full Version : Hacked ECU Image

Kenneth
14-01-2011, 05:25 AM
There appear to be some selfish people out there who like to use collective knowledge to help them produce their own private library of ECU definitions which they refuse to share with the people who shared their knowledge in the first place. Unless they pay of course.
If this is you, shame on you for not giving back to such a generous community.

If this in not you, thank you for your generosity and here is some return.
Please note that this is not a final release, I have tested it somewhat in my car but not extensively. I realise most of you don't care how it was done, the free access to the required definition and image is likely as much as you need or want.
I do have another definition which lets me access the areas of the image for hacking, but if you miss one out, screw it up or get a slightly wrong value then I can tell you things are interesting and sometimes not immediately apparent. If you don't have a spare ECU (and possibly a spare engine) to plug into the car should things go wrong, then this probably isn't for you.

If for some reason you want to change the axis sizes etc, then perhaps we can talk.

The pictures should tell you what I have done with this image. It was of course my vanity which has dictated the prefix used to identify this image and the relocated maps.
You should find the maps are the same as the standard high and low octane maps... to the point at which they exceed the standard mapping. If you go into this unknown area, then this mapping is going to be incorrect.

In a manner of speaking, this map extension probably isn't that necessary... However I had to start somewhere and I expect this map relocation is going to be the simplest task.

Enjoy.

Kenneth
14-01-2011, 05:29 AM
Oh, it looks like the image isn't quite the standard values... so if you have a fairly standard car or don't have logging, you are going to need to change the values in the fuel map.

The standard mapping is actually aggressive enough that without a decent intercooler there is plenty of knock at high load (100% stock!) on 98 octane fuel. I would advise at least having a intercooler upgrade.

If you are in NZ (probably want to be close to Auckland) and want me to flash your ECU then drop me a line.

Gly
14-01-2011, 05:51 AM
ken you free tonight?

Kenneth
14-01-2011, 05:55 AM
Yep, not up to too much tonight.

Email me or ring me at home or something is probably best (rather than filling the thread... :P)

scott.mohekey
14-01-2011, 06:26 AM
Great work Ken, and kudos on your ethos.

wintertidenz
14-01-2011, 06:51 AM
Awesome work Ken, if I keep my car I'll get you to flash an ECU for me - payment in beers? :P

Kenneth
14-01-2011, 07:14 AM
Thanks Scott.

Dan, sure. A nice bottle of wine would probably be better than beer though, as I am somewhat intolerant to gluten and beer doesn't sit too well! (always fun at the time though ;) )

Gly
14-01-2011, 10:08 AM
thanks for the flash ken, car is much more enjoyable to drive,

had some rolling drags with a 6th gen modded toyota chaser on the way home, (found out its running a 2jz-gte)

have some rep,
whats your preferred drop of wine???

if you get some more free time one day, id like to do some logging and maybe tweak the fueling/ignition?

Kenneth
14-01-2011, 10:16 AM
No problem, happy to help out.

Actually, screw wine... Harrington's Ginger beer is where it is at! http://harringtonsbreweries.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=43:all-new-4packs&catid=9:latest-news&Itemid=17

This stuff tastes like the Ginger beer we used to drink when we were young, but it is alcoholic :) yummy!

lateshow
14-01-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm using now 99 octane fuel here in Finland. The fuel is Shell v-power (sadly contains now 0-5% alcohol) but seems to knock much less then it did with 98. I'm using that kind of fuel table. Well mine's a bit richer (richest point now 10.8). Wideband shows that 11.5 when going full throttle. Boost is about 0.9 bar when doing full throttle. I had to retard (is that the right verb or am I talking about handicapped people here) the ignition a bit with 160 and 180 loads. That is the load used with that kind of boost. I can share my rom if you guys like to see that.

GalantOnly
14-01-2011, 01:38 PM
The best thread of the year /yes

foxdie
14-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Hi Ken,

Sorry can you clarify what ECUs these are compatible for and what the overall changes are from stock?

Wal
14-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Excellent work Ken, ace thread, can see this one getting hot!

Kenneth
14-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Hi Lauri

I wouldn't have posted that map, but I forgot to change it back from what I am using in my car! My wideband seems to be tracking quite close to what the expected mapping is so that will likely make quite a difference. Having AFRs which are that much leaner that the mapped values would concern me a bit... If you have done the MAF mod, I would wind the screw back in until it comes closer to expected.

Feel free to upload your ROM as the more information out there the better.

I'm using now 99 octane fuel here in Finland. The fuel is Shell v-power (sadly contains now 0-5% alcohol) but seems to knock much less then it did with 98. I'm using that kind of fuel table. Well mine's a bit richer (richest point now 10.8). Wideband shows that 11.5 when going full throttle. Boost is about 0.9 bar when doing full throttle. I had to retard (is that the right verb or am I talking about handicapped people here) the ignition a bit with 160 and 180 loads. That is the load used with that kind of boost. I can share my rom if you guys like to see that.

Kenneth
14-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Hi Ken,

Sorry can you clarify what ECUs these are compatible for and what the overall changes are from stock?

As far as I am aware, all MH7202/MH7203 ECUs which can currently be flashed. You will have to change the memory model in the definition to flash to MH7202 (Worked on Carstens 7202 ECU)

At this stage, the only difference should be the fact there is more tuning resolution and the high octane fuel maps have been modified to have a minimum AFR of 11:1

Only other differences I can recall are the two byte RPM and Load MUT lookup addresses and cat warmup table has been 0'd

lateshow
15-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Hi Lauri

I wouldn't have posted that map, but I forgot to change it back from what I am using in my car! My wideband seems to be tracking quite close to what the expected mapping is so that will likely make quite a difference. Having AFRs which are that much leaner that the mapped values would concern me a bit... If you have done the MAF mod, I would wind the screw back in until it comes closer to expected.

Feel free to upload your ROM as the more information out there the better.

Here is a link to my rom. http://users.tkk.fi/~lylirost/vr4/lauri%20modi4.bin

I think it's quite normal to get 11.5 with 10.8 on the chart because of lean spool. Everyone here is getting similar results. But you can say what do you think of my maps.

Shtiv
08-02-2011, 10:46 AM
I normally see about 0.5-0.8 difference between target and actual AFR's at that sort of AFR and this is not taking lean spool into account. Lean spool will take out up to another 1.5 points (Yes 13:1) in the right AFR and rev range. Even current model Evo's vary target to actual and they vary car to car and throughout the map, but like wideband accuracy I have also found the map as a general rule to be closer around stoich with the exception of the low load low RPM range where the targets and actuals have been all over the place for me.

Targets are just targets.

taylor
16-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Awesome work Kenneth, Flashed this on and tuned it today, the fine grained tuning made things easier in my opinion

TwinTurbo
18-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong ?

I copy/paste extended map scalling and tables in xml file and I am getting following

Kenneth
18-05-2011, 08:14 AM
you need to use the .hex file included in the zip file.

The .hex file has been modified for this to work. You can change your one all you like and it wont work without those modifications.

TwinTurbo
18-05-2011, 08:43 AM
OK

Fixed, but one question, will this rom fit into my ECU and work fine ?

Int ID of my rom is EM2004

maybe I am asking a wrong question ?

Kenneth
18-05-2011, 10:09 AM
The base rom was EM2004, this has been modified from that.

It was a good question. From my experience, you can flash pretty much any rom onto any ECU. I flash the EM2004 rom onto all my ECUs. (1998,1999,2001,2002)

TwinTurbo
18-05-2011, 10:13 AM
ok, I will check later, but another question

I can see standard and extended maps in ROM, how do I know which one the ECU is using ?

and one more thing, if you will post your xml file will be great, ofcorce if you dont have any secrets there that is value for money :)

thanks

lateshow
18-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Good questions from TwinTurbo!

I was wonderind does it make any difference if i'm replacing my EM2428 AUTO rom with this one? Kenneth have you altered the rom so that it doesn't use the original fuel and ignition maps at all?

TwinTurbo
18-05-2011, 02:13 PM
lets make it simple and accessible for all, because for 2-3 years already, we are trying to make our tuning life better :)

the only way I see to find out wheather extended map really works on our car is to check ignition timing and AFR via EVOSCAN and compare to map.

Kenneth
18-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Yeah, that one doesn't use the original maps. They are still there because it is much easier to relocate the much bigger maps than try and move everything else.

Yes, it is using those maps. I know that for sure because in my original cut I forgot to update the table axis length and got some really weird fuel / ignition issues. I also log wideband and get a pretty good comparison on AFR.

Simple and accessible to all? Not sure that I get what you are on about. I have made it pretty simple by providing the XML and the ecu image for you. As far as accessible, it is here free for all. I would prefer people link to this forum rather than taking it and posting it elsewhere though.

TwinTurbo
19-05-2011, 06:45 AM
Kenneth

Thanks for your quick comments, everything is clear, I will check your rom on my machine once I get new clutch delivered.

as for simple and accessible, I was mentioning that someone might be viewing VR4 forums and have some XML files with correct addresses which they are keeping in Secret, like russians for example, for commercial purpose, I would like to ask them to share some knowladge to make our life easier. its not about you my friend, trust me :) you have shared your knowladge with us already, thanks for that

Kenneth
21-05-2011, 04:23 AM
Not sure who's base XML this was, have added quite a bit to it. Some of it obviously is not complete, but hey. Please note that this has been all got from EM2004 and as such might not be correct for any other image.

Some notes: Lean spool does not appear to be working at all. It is not the same as the Evo image I have in any way.
Knock control is also quite different, some of the bits I was able to get because they are similar, others are clearly not correct. I wouldn't touch knock control personally, do so at your own risk.

No doubt someone will rip this off, post elsewhere and take credit :P

lateshow
21-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Super job there!

Lean Spool is still a little bit of mystery but now we can do much more. Have you used EMKS11 in an auto VR4????

Kenneth
21-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Not personally because I don't have an auto. However it is derived from EM2004 which has been used on autos so should be fine.
Not sure if I said in the original post, but KS are my initials and the image is named after me as I was the one who did the map extension. Had to name it something else anyway as otherwise how would I identify it correctly in Ecuflash.