PDA

View Full Version : Code 52

Physician
29-09-2004, 06:59 PM
OK, just managed to get the ECU to talk to me with the flashing codes on dashboard.

Although I have a TCL warning light flashing and handbrake warning light on whilst driving I now have the ABS light on as well since accessing the ECU !

BUT, the only code it flashes is 52 which is Ignition coil and power transistor unit (cylinders 2 & 5).

Any of you bright sparks see a correlation or know what this suggests? :sad3:

Thanks

Richard

nick-f1
29-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Hi Richard, cant really help you I'm afraid but .. I'm wondering if the diagostic codes for the vr4 may be different from those of the fto as zentac posted. The system works slightly differently in that the abs light flashes the codes and not the engine management light and the way mitsi changes things around why not the codes? Just a thought! Is yr abs light flashing all the time now whilst driving as well as the others since reading the ecu??

Regards

Nick

Spirit
29-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Richard

I am pretty sure Andy at AP said he has all the codes.....give him a call back - he should be there after 8.30pm tonight ;)

Physician
29-09-2004, 08:29 PM
The system works slightly differently in that the abs light flashes the codes and not the engine management light and the way mitsi changes things around why not the codes? Just a thought! Is yr abs light flashing all the time now whilst driving as well as the others since reading the ecu??

Regards

Nick

Hi Nick ......... yea, that had crossed my mind as well (that codes MAY be different) but I would doubt it.

The ABS is ON all the time now but doesn't flash.

I'm going to do some more testing because NOW I have yet another issue - it seems to be getting worse and worse :sad3:

I have just been out to car again and decided to finish up for the night so armed the Alarm system and it sets the siren off after the 30 seconds timer. I have a feeling that this is all related and it may be the Alarm immobiliser and other electronic systems that are screwing everything up ..... aghhhhhhhh!

zentac
29-09-2004, 10:58 PM
They may be different codes, but I seriously doubt it as I know people who use the Japanese cartridges in the MUT-II`s and they can run the diagnostics as they know the codes that come out are all the same.

chris g
30-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Code 52?

Is that like Area 51 but not so alien to us Mitsy owners?

Physician
02-10-2004, 02:56 AM
As some of you will have read ..... I have had a number of issues lately which have culminated in finding a simple cause. I post the details in case anyone else has a similar issue in future.

Driving along a road at about 10 mph looking for somewhere in particular. Put my hazard lights on and was practically coasting down hill. Found what I was looking for and switched hazards off and accelerated. Nothing - the car had died.

Pulled up, put into 'Park' and switched off ignition. Tried to start it - dead. TCL warning light flashing and handbrake warning light stayed on even when handbrake released ...... so could have been brake fluid low (but it wasn't).

Called my garage who sent a low-loader. At the garage my guy hand turned the engine to make sure nothing serious (as he had just fitted all new belts, cam belt etc). He did a cursory check of electrical components looking for the obvious but couldn't see anything untoward.

He tried starting it a number of times during his checks and always dead. Then all of a sudden it started! He hadn't done anything and said he really needed data from ECU to find the fault.

Getting late so drove home. Managed to get data off ECU but it only gave me a code 52 which seemed very odd as I would probably have serious misfiring if the fault was genuine.

After giving up for the night I set the alarm which went off after 30 secs so had to manually lock doors with alarm off.

Next morning I got into car and noticed that interior lights not working ......... ummm, and radio dead, dashboard illumination dead. Car wouldn't start without firstly disarming alarm EVEN THOUGH IT WAS OFF. Door locks opened and closed at will. TCL flashing and TCL stated 'OFF', ABS warning light on, handbrake warning on. Aggggggggh! :sad3:

Got to garage and told him the code 52 etc. He and another mechanic noticed that brake fluid reservoir very slightly low, so whilst he was topping up I opened the fuse box (just to have a look as had never opened it before). The second mechanic immediately said "oh that one's blown." It was the hazard lights fuse.:sad3:

Replaced fuse and lo and behold everything started working OK again! On top of that, I had been having an issue with the auto side of box not getting into gear as smoothly as it used to do. Even that was cured.

I find it hard to believe that ONE fuse could cause all those problems but it just goes to show what a complicated and inter-dependant electronic/electrical system we have.

wirdy
02-10-2004, 11:24 PM
How strange........

Are you brave enough to take the hazards fuse out again to see if all your symptoms return?

Definitely one for our technical knowledge-base if it it can be confirmed ;)

Physician
02-10-2004, 11:41 PM
How strange........

Are you brave enough to take the hazards fuse out again to see if all your symptoms return?

Definitely one for our technical knowledge-base if it it can be confirmed ;)

Heh! Yes, I could try that but it may be better if you take yours out and see if it's just my system or all our cars. :-D

wirdy
03-10-2004, 12:21 AM
Naaah, I'm chicken!!!........ :-D :-D

Legnum Boy
03-10-2004, 02:42 AM
I'll do it..... :p

...but be warned, I missed the pod last year due to some tw@t driving into the back of me a few days before the event. Imagine how sucky it would be that I miss the pod this year due to some tw@t messing around with the fuse box.... :-D :-D :-D
I have already removed the fuse that powers the heat strips at the bottom of the windscreen, cos they were constantly on and got burning hot....

:dozey: Wonder if thats why my gearbox exploded??? :lipsrseal :lipsrseal ;)

Will post any findings tonight...

Physician
03-10-2004, 04:00 AM
I'll do it..... :p

...but be warned, I missed the pod last year due to some tw@t driving into the back of me a few days before the event. Imagine how sucky it would be that I miss the pod this year due to some tw@t messing around with the fuse box.... :-D :-D :-D
I have already removed the fuse that powers the heat strips at the bottom of the windscreen, cos they were constantly on and got burning hot....

:dozey: Wonder if thats why my gearbox exploded??? :lipsrseal :lipsrseal ;)

Will post any findings tonight...

Brave man ! :-D