PDA

View Full Version : Rear Toe In

Barney
18-01-2011, 04:24 PM
I was offered free 4-wheel alignment check today after buying some new tyres ( Falken ZE912 ) 215/45R17.
I've attached the print out. I know about the rear camber being due to the lowered suspension and have plans to address this with the washer method of adjusting the upper wishbone alignment.

But how can you adjust the rear toe?

On scan the darker boxes are those out of limit.

Gowf
18-01-2011, 08:39 PM
You sure can adjust it. The track control arm (or at least that what im calling it) is the one at the back with a ball joint that faces up. on the subframe side its attached with an eccentric washer that has graduated marks on it. Slacken the nut and turn the bolt, simples

Barney
20-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks Gareth.
Just what I was after.

BTW did your brake project, you showed some of us, a 4-pot caliper at Japfest last year, come to anything?

bradc
21-01-2011, 11:14 PM
I'd suggest having a bit of toe in, probably around 0.5 degrees or so, just to help out with tyre wear when you have that much camber. Even if you get it to -1.5 degree camber, I'd still run around 0.5 degree toe in.

Barney
21-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Cheers Brad
Previous set of tyres suffered great wear and eventually failed the MOT.
But how does toe in help with the tyre wear caused by camber???

bradc
21-01-2011, 11:58 PM
The tyre changes shape very slightly with that much toe in and stops it from riding as much on the inner edge. It will help you use more of the tyre. It will still wear out though! Ideally you'd swap them from side to side every 5000 miles or so.