PDA

View Full Version : Damn Damn Damn - Looks as if the rain may have short-circuited my car alarm

KiwiTT
22-01-2011, 10:21 PM
I went through a few large puddles and when I parked the car at the supermarket the car alarm would not stop going off ...
... took it for a burn down the motorway thinking that may help ... dry it out ... it didn't
... so locked the car the manual way ... with a key (central locking still works) and a steering lock

... finished the supermarket shop and then got home ... thought OK I'll give it one more try ... and it worked

Now I have had this alarm system in for nearly 8 years (come August), so I suppose I should look at getting it updated and replaced ... even the remote is held together with cellotape ... where should I go in Auckland to get my old one taken out and a new one put in ... I believe we have some membership discount place but the link for NZ discounts is now gone.

Subaru ETA
22-01-2011, 10:25 PM
I think that the discount is through avs.

The brain of the alarm will be under the dash. The only thing that water could have go to would be the siren. Where is the siren mounted? Unless water got into some damaged wiring somewhere?

KiwiTT
22-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Found it (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?40093-NZ-AVS-Car-Security)

wintertidenz
22-01-2011, 11:09 PM
The Dynatron in my Leggie does the same kind of thing - every time it rains it makes a retarded beep when you use it, and then the siren won't stop going off!

Spoke to the installers, they refused to do anything about it (it's only 3 years old btw) - only way to fix it is to move the siren, or replace the alarm.

SquattingDog
23-01-2011, 04:52 AM
Speak to Brendan at Hope Hickman in the city. He installed the alarm in the Mrs' car, and is a friend of ours. He does a good job, is very professional and should give you a good price, if you tell him I recommended you. :) They can get Dynatron and AVS, the choice is yours really.

OnBoost!
23-01-2011, 05:08 AM
Have you still got your AVS discount card? If you haven't I can send you out a replacement.

KiwiTT
23-01-2011, 10:22 AM
RE: Card ... that would be good.

KiwiTT
16-12-2011, 08:40 PM
I have a few problems with my car alarm now. Due to its age I suspect (being in the car for now 8 years) and knowing other electronics eventually do start failing as they get older.

The current issues are;

1) The remotes are pretty worn out and have tape holding them together
2) The system circuit has a problem on very wet days and goes off
3) The car was still immobilised even after use the remote and getting the beeps, and repeated setting it on and off finally got it off (thios happened last night).

So I am considering replacing the system with a new one as for me being immobilised by a faulty car alarm is not what I want to happen. In addition, I do intend to keep the car for a few years yet, unsure how many (5-10 possibly).

I note I have been recommended http://www.avscarsecurity.com/alarms/ through the car club as we have a discount with them. However, I am interested in other options as well.

Should I go for simple dual-immobiliser, or should I go the whole hog and get break-in protection as well, like this one - http://shop.manta.co.nz/products/Catalogue%3A-AVS-S5-Five-Star-car-alarm.html

Oggie
17-12-2011, 02:43 AM
dude I went mental when my alarm went off and would nto STFU no matter what I did. some retard turned onthe rear lights in my car during the day and i never noticed... 3 days later ( didnt drive it inthat time ) the battery went flat enough that it triggered the avs alarm to go off and keep going. then went on for liek 3 freakign hours. in the end i managed to shut it up by jump starting the car thengoing for a 100km blat in my car none stop.

but yeah get a new alarm bud.

wintertidenz
17-12-2011, 04:25 AM
Get the S5, I don't think there is much price difference and the S5 is a five star alarm, so will keep insurance happy.

Most insurance places don't accept anything under a 5-star when it is a higher risk car last time I asked.

KiwiTT
28-09-2012, 05:40 AM
I have decided to get a AVS 3010+ (http://shop.manta.co.nz/products/Catalogue%3A-AVS-3010%252b-car-alarm.html), which has two immobilisers (which is all my insurance company (AMI) requires) and they will take the old one out, all for only $299 inclusive. Getting it installed on Wednesday.