PDA

View Full Version : Best suspension upgrade for everyday road use

MYKEY
23-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Looking to upgrade my suspension in the near future and as money is an issue thought i would change the springs first using TEIN S.TECH LOWERING SPRING KITS from here http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s1405p0

then when funds were available upgrade the shocks to Bilstein B8 Sprint Shocks, but the combined price is more than or similar to what i would pay for a set of BC coilovers http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/c-bcb01/mitsubishi-galant-98-04/

or the TEIN LOW DOWN SPEC BASIC WAGON DAMPER-COILOVER KITS http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s2213p9639

so considering this :thinking: i was wondering if anybody has any of these fitted including the Tien/Bilstein combo and their experience with them, ride height,spring rates and are they ok to live with day to day as i would not be tracking the at all and don't fancy feeling every pothole in the crap roads we have

thanks for any feedback :thumbsup:

Mark 4
23-01-2011, 08:21 PM
I have Teins with EDFC. On the softest setting they are fine for everyday around town ( except potholes ).

On the hardest setting they improve the handling quite nicely.

Coupled with the swaybars that Peter Tompson did the group buy on I am very impressed with the handling improvement.

Gly
23-01-2011, 10:56 PM
nearly every person ive known to have any of the basic tein coil over items have been dissipointed,
to soft, and bouncy, more than one occasion ive heard/seen the locking rings have gone brittle and snapped,
and the tubes rust.

personally ive found lowering springs to soft, especially with a couple in the rear seat or a loaded boot,

11-13kg springs in front and 8-10 in rear(legnum, a galant should be a little softer in the rear)

i recommend tanabes coil overs if you can get a set.

MYKEY
24-01-2011, 05:00 AM
I have Teins with EDFC. On the softest setting they are fine for everyday around town ( except potholes ).

On the hardest setting they improve the handling quite nicely.

Coupled with the swaybars that Peter Tompson did the group buy on I am very impressed with the handling improvement.

I think that the combo of the Teins with EDFC is going to be over my budget, do you know the spring rates of the Teins, might look at these without the EDFC, were they the basic spec or the super ? cheers :)

nearly every person ive known to have any of the basic tein coil over items have been dissipointed,
to soft, and bouncy, more than one occasion ive heard/seen the locking rings have gone brittle and snapped,
and the tubes rust.

personally ive found lowering springs to soft, especially with a couple in the rear seat or a loaded boot,

11-13kg springs in front and 8-10 in rear(legnum, a galant should be a little softer in the rear)

i recommend tanabes coil overs if you can get a set.

Been having a look around and i think the Tanabes are going to be very difficult to get hold of over here unfortunatly, with regards to the spring rates the BC Coilovers quote a rate of 10kg front and 6kg rear i have a galant so these dont seem to bad for road only use ? :huh2:

Gly
24-01-2011, 08:38 AM
my cuscos are 8f and 5r in the blue leggy,
find them to soft,

my tanabes are 10.8f and 8.6r white leggy,
find these to be more or less spot on,

so the BCs should be about right,