PDA

View Full Version : Blown VR4 Diff. My baby is bleeding! DIY job?

raitey
31-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Hey wonderful people,

I finally sold my GDI Legnum and got a nice manual VR4 Legnum.. Loving the car and am starting to learn about them..

Guess I'm going to speed that process up as I THINK my rear diff blew.

There was a small bang, a clicking noise started which would increase in speed with car speed (not revs)

Being the douche I am I accelerated moderately hard after a few mins of checking with a light under my car.
Then BOOM/CLANG suddenly the car bounces up in the rear.

There is oil flooding out from what appears to be the diff. :stars:

Can anyone possibly confirm that I'm dealing with a blown diff? Does this have anything to do with the AYC?
Secondly. How hard would you rate fixing this yourself.

My first mechanic experience has been to replace a wheel hub assembly but I am keen to learn to do this...

I guess I'm also in the market for a new rear diff!

Any pointers or advice from the VR4 boys would be awesome!

Thank you kindly everyone. I only signed up to there forums a few weeks ago upon recommendation from other VR4 owner friends of mine.

Sincerely,

Craig

elnevio
31-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Yep, sounds like a classic blown diff! Unfortunately, that includes all the AYC elements too.

viniu88
31-01-2011, 12:54 PM
unless he dont want to have ayc :)
mate get in touch with Nutter_John he should have diff for sale

Wodjno
31-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I got a Diff for Sale.. Also PSBarham has /yes

c0xxy
31-01-2011, 01:28 PM
bet there expensive to get to nz tho!

Nick Mann
31-01-2011, 02:34 PM
It's not too bad a job. If you are willing to have a go you should be fine.

Also, if you need more offers of a diff that is currently on the wrong side of the world, I've got one as has foxdie.... :P

Wodjno
31-01-2011, 02:35 PM
It's not too bad a job. If you are willing to have a go you should be fine.

Also, if you need more offers of a diff that is currently on the wrong side of the world, I've got one as has foxdie.... :P

And i'm sure Csaba will have 1 also :D

bradc
31-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Quinton in NZ will have one for you, a few other Kiwi members might have one spare too. Your best bet is to post up a WTB thread in the parts area.

Davezj
31-01-2011, 06:57 PM
I have one as well!

source one locally you will be alright don,t worry too much, they are not too bad to change.

Patryn999
31-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Welcome to the (no so) exclusive club :D Post where you live, and if you're lucky enough to be in a location with CVR4 members one of us will probably lend a hand/organise a work day for it.

And if you live in chch I have a diff in the back yard, so they're reasonably common.

Mr.Salas
01-02-2011, 05:39 AM
Hmm or search in your area for evo 7,8,9 diff and evo 10 diff will fit, but with evo 10 diff you need to change the passenger side inner cv joint and than your ready!

taylor
01-02-2011, 09:34 AM
What part of the country?

raitey
01-02-2011, 10:15 AM
First of all,

Thank you so much for all of the replies. What a great bunch you all are!

I'm in Epsom, Auckland and I'm thinking I'll stick with AYC rather than do a conversion.
I'd love to meet some of the members and siphon out some knowledge!

Wicked!

One more question. Is it ok to limp home at slow speeds? About 2kms from my place where I can work on it in my driveway.

If anyone is round my ways or has something in New Zealand that would suit I'm your new best friend!

Cheers all,

Craig

Gly
01-02-2011, 10:23 AM
done this job twice now, (in my own car)
its farily straight forward, can get it done 3-4 hours max, inc bleeding the ayc,

as for driving it, nope wouldnt recommend it,
i did it the first time, and i did get home, 5kms but the diff wasnt bleeding
i was lucky that time, only a few teeth stripped

second time the rear diff locked up in peak traffic not able to move, bleeding,
nearly every tooth stripped off.
luckily a work mate saw me and we dragged the car off the road with his safari... sounded horrible,
had it picked up on a flat deck and dropped home

raitey
01-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Oh god thats tragic.

Ill use my AA tow and get it towed to my place then...
Bloody hell.. just the thought of that happening to my car hurts...

ck

Adam.Findlay
01-02-2011, 11:58 AM
i managed to tow mine home fine without it locking up when mine blew. but id get a aa tow if possible
you have a pm about a diff also.