PDA

View Full Version : Factory Alloys

Legnum Boy
04-10-2004, 01:02 AM
Just a quick noob question....

I have the original 96 alloy wheels, which are currently shod with some very worn 205/55/16's. (as seen below)

Will these wheels accept 225/50/16's, as I would like a bit more grip at times... :$

Legnum Boy
05-10-2004, 11:53 AM
:sad3:

no-one know??

Spirit
05-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Well the overall diameter would be 24.88 inches vs 24.86 inches so you have no issues with the rolling diameter ;)

Legnum Boy
05-10-2004, 01:02 PM
Is the width increase just the tread area, or does it apply to the part of the tyre that sits in the rim as well?

Roadrunner
05-10-2004, 02:12 PM
IIRC, your wheels are 6" wide. The later VR-4s had 6½" wide wheels with 225/50x16 tyres as standard. I'd be surprised if these were at the top margin of width allowed on a 6½" rim, so I think you'd be OK with 225s on 6" rims. I'll try to find more definitive information, though, to make sure I'm not giving you a bum steer.

Brian

P.S.
OK, from this web site (www.nationaltire.com/basics/default.asp):
Wheel Width
Distance between inside of flanges rounded to nearest 1/2-inch. Ensure that wheel width is proper for tire size you intend to mount on it. All tire sizes have minimum and maximum wheel width limits. Correct wheel width is about 75% of tire cross section width.

Which, for 225s, gives a preferred rim width of 6½" (which is in line with what I said above). Is there any marking on the tyre itself that mentions rim width? I still think you'd be OK fitting 225s on 6" rims :)

calum
05-10-2004, 06:44 PM
wider tyres won't necessarily give you more grip. Better tyres will. Think eagle f1 gsd3's for example.

Legnum Boy
05-10-2004, 06:58 PM
Thanks for that info Brian.
Will have a lookie at my current tyres for any clues.

I am hoping to get the Eagle F1's and they do them in both sizes, but I really would have thought that the larger the contact area, the more grip would be produced, hence wanting the larger of the two sizes.

Am I barking up the wrong tree... :sad3:

Kieran
05-10-2004, 09:08 PM
IIRC, your wheels are 6" wide. The later VR-4s had 6½" wide wheels with 225/50x16 tyres as standard. I'd be surprised if these were at the top margin of width allowed on a 6½" rim, so I think you'd be OK with 225s on 6" rims. I'll try to find more definitive information, though, to make sure I'm not giving you a bum steer.

Brian

P.S.
OK, from this web site (www.nationaltire.com/basics/default.asp):
Wheel Width
Distance between inside of flanges rounded to nearest 1/2-inch. Ensure that wheel width is proper for tire size you intend to mount on it. All tire sizes have minimum and maximum wheel width limits. Correct wheel width is about 75% of tire cross section width.

Which, for 225s, gives a preferred rim width of 6½" (which is in line with what I said above). Is there any marking on the tyre itself that mentions rim width? I still think you'd be OK fitting 225s on 6" rims :)

:-b Brilliant information. Reputation point added! ;)

Perhaps one of the mods that can edit this forum will consider moving this to the library holding area? I think it's useful, but my mod privilges don't stretch to this area.... :sad3:

calum
05-10-2004, 10:40 PM
sidewalls are designed to run pretty much straight up and down. Squeezing too large a tyre on to a smaller wheel puts a lot of angle on the sidewall, allowing the tread to 'wallow around' compared to the wheel (fixed to the car). Grip may ultimately increase but turn in and general feel will deteriorate.

Calum

Legnum Boy
05-10-2004, 10:48 PM
:sad3: :sad3:

I see the point being made by Calum now.... and the outlook is bleak.
With just the normal 205's on the wheel, the wall is already at an adverse angle.

Anyone suggest a good set of wheels to replace the standard ones?
Im kind of partial to the standard Evo 8 wheels.... would these fit? :laugh: :laugh:

calum
05-10-2004, 10:48 PM
this makes quite good reading, if not 100% accurate.

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/index.html?menu.html&tyre_bible.html

Legnum Boy
05-10-2004, 11:28 PM
Excellent link Calum......

It would seem that 225/50/16's will squeeze onto the standard rims.... :-D

.... and the reason for my nasty wall angle is most probably underinflation.. :lipsrseal :lipsrseal :lipsrseal

.....which would also account for the wear on the tread pattern.... ;)

Legnum Boy
08-10-2004, 05:35 PM
Got me Eagles fitted today... :-D
... and a laser alignment check whilst there.

The tyres look smart, and feel ok.... not that I would notice much difference :$

Paid too much overall, again.... :rolleyes5

...oh yeah, and I need some new DS2500's as they are wearing real thin... :sad3: :sad3: :sad3:

calum
08-10-2004, 06:39 PM
IIRC I think I paid £95 each fitted for that exact size.

Calum

Pete M
10-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Just noticed this thread. Recently fitted a set of Goodyear GS D3s. Fitted 225/50-16s to the standard rims (97 Legnum VR-4). As mentioned above, almost exactly the same rolling radius as the standard 205/55-16s.
Super sticky tyres, and they look the part. Did a 400 mile trip last weekend, they handled beautifully. I would have tested them on a curvy piece of road but my back seat passenger was not a good traveller and I didn't fancy having to clean up a mess. My wheels have the same castings as the ones at the top of the thread, but they have dark grey coloured inserts on the spokes instead of the silver ones. I'll try and get some photos posted.
Tyres were around NZD 251 each. So about NZD 1050 for the set. Well worth it for some of the stickiest boots around.