PDA

View Full Version : A newcomers view point on CVR-4 and NZ

_simon_
04-10-2004, 10:07 AM
First up let me say that I am going to join, one day when I get around to it :)

In the forums I’ve noticed talk about getting a NZ division of the club up and running. I think this is a great idea but to make the NZ club happen, and get membership numbers up we not only have to give people a reason for joining but make it easy to do so. Basically remove the obstacles. When I first found CVR-4 I was I dreaming of owning a VR-4 Legnum. I saw the $15 membership fee and thought, hey that’s a no brainer I’ll join (once I own a VR-4). A short while later I had my new toy. I downloaded the membership form and would have happily parted with my $15, but what the #!@! I have to send my money overseas and not only that but it has to be in UK pounds. What a hassle! 5 pounds is a totally different story to $15 effort wise. It needs to be easy for people to join otherwise the novelty of owning a VR-4 or simply joining a club, might rub off before they get around to it.

The solution is quite simple, although it will require some effort, more effort than getting 5 pounds.
NOTE I’m saying 5 pounds because I haven’t seen the new membership form yet.

Get NZ CVR-4 up and running. Get a bank account. Make the joining fee say $25. $20 is for the UK club and $5 to cover the running costs of the NZ club, such as bank fees and the cost of sending the money to the UK. Now every 3 or maybe 6 months the NZ club pays all those $20 to the UK club in one go.

One of my mates, who lives in Auckland, was down visiting in the weekend and I mentioned to him that I’d most likely be in Auckland on the 31st as that’s when the next meet was going to be. He seemed to think that it was strange that there wasn’t a Waikato division of the club. I didn’t feel the need to mention that there’s not really a NZ club either. I’m not saying that it’s a bad thing to be part of the UK club. I think it’s great that this is an ‘international club’. I just think that to have more of a presence in NZ then there needs to be a local division that’s run like a local club. I see that this is starting to take shape but until we can pay our membership in NZ dollars then I don't think we can claim to have an NZ Club.

I’m sure that I’m probably wasting everyone’s time by writing stuff that you already know and have thought of before .

So anyway lets get the NZ division up and running. I’m prepared to put some effort in if that’s whats needed.

Now, while I’m feeling motivated, has the membership form been updated?

Lurch
04-10-2004, 06:45 PM
I'd pay someone local :) I use to belong to the MR-2 club many years back, we had a 2Xsticker(s), discounts, meets, and a magazine.

Was great would like to see something like that here :)

Spirit
04-10-2004, 07:07 PM
First up let me say that I am going to join, one day when I get around to it :)

Basically remove the obstacles. When I first found CVR-4 I was I dreaming of owning a VR-4 Legnum. I saw the $15 membership fee and thought, hey that’s a no brainer I’ll join (once I own a VR-4). A short while later I had my new toy. I downloaded the membership form and would have happily parted with my $15, but what the #!@! I have to send my money overseas and not only that but it has to be in UK pounds. What a hassle!

Let me add a couple of comments.

1: The reason that the money had to be in sterling is become the club should not be responsible for the costs of exchanging money
2: Paypal is, and virtually always has been available and in fact is totally encouraged ! I don't want the hassle of going to the bank with your money to pay into the Club account, the same as you don't want the hassle of changing $ to £'s and writing out an envelope. You can send your money without even leaving the house, it's just many people don't read the information available.

Sorry to rant, but it is a bit of a bug bear of mine about all the effort many people put into running this club and then people moan about having to write an envelope out and posting it - but you don't say the same when someone has to package up the membership pack and take that to the post office to send you!

/rant mode off ;)

Spirit
04-10-2004, 07:43 PM
I'd pay someone local :) I use to belong to the MR-2 club many years back, we had a 2Xsticker(s), discounts, meets, and a magazine.

Ask your fellow full NZ members, they have some stickers, discounts, meets (although been difficult to get people to attend) and we have currently suspended our quarterly newsletter but it may come back again.

Oh, and most important, enough info on the VR4 to sink a battleship in the Members section.

i3ooyah
05-10-2004, 12:06 AM
yea i'll rather pay the $15 then $25-$30 to a kiwi

the only reason i havnt joined is because im to lazy to fill out the members form, haha

i think they should make it in *.doc format

KiwiTT
05-10-2004, 01:33 AM
We are not yet big enough to have a full scale operation in New Zealand. I sent PMs to 170 registered NZ members and only got 19 responses. A little over 10%. In the meantime we will utilise the resources of the Club in the UK and see if the NZ contigient grows.

Other NZ members have tried to get things off the ground here and it has been tough. So far we have "members-only" discounts, articles and advanced forum features to offer.

We are going to have a meeting at "Bastion Point", you are welcome to raise your ideas there, on the day, organised by our "interim" Events organiser "dickytim"

KiwiTT
05-10-2004, 01:35 AM
... I use to belong to the MR-2 club many years back, we had a 2Xsticker(s), discounts, meets, and a magazine.

We already have that, and the magazine has been replaced by the "Members-Only" section of Forum.

_simon_
05-10-2004, 11:07 AM
What is the new membership fee then for NZers if paying by PayPal?

Spirit
05-10-2004, 11:54 AM
20 NZ $'s ;)

dickytim
06-10-2004, 06:36 AM
Simon, you raised some good points, but like the other guys have said, we are only a small part of the club, I have only just started trying to organise meets, and would be more than happy to hear from any one at the Bastion Point scheduled meet with any ideas, I joined (about 6 months ago) completely on line, used my paypal account and that was that didn't even send an envelope.

At the moment I try to organise meets for the Car Audio forums that I am a part of and try to tie them into other meets. This meet will be a Club VR4 meet only, As we I am trying to make it a starting point. The last meet we had only 3 people showed up for. The forums being down and the torential down pour may have had something to do with it but hey.

Lurch
06-10-2004, 04:11 PM
where's Bastion Point ? What time/date is it?

dickytim
06-10-2004, 07:13 PM
all the details are here http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5509