PDA

View Full Version : Another Suspension Option

Spirit
05-10-2004, 03:20 AM
As you may have seen from the other thread ("What Now") the choices for lowering the VR4 are fewer now than even 12 months ago. HKS no longer make the Super Form or SF5 springs, and Ralliart no longer make any either (according to Marcus at Extreme).

Wodjno and I have been researching the possibility of getting some Tein springs but at the moment the price is a little high. I have been quoted £260 + vat delivered. This is a bit excessive considering they retail for 23,000 yen in Japan (£115). I understand the cost of shipping but three times the price is a bit much to say the least. Anyhow, Glenn is still working on this.

Tonight I thought I would do a bit more digging around, and I may have found another solution. It appears Bilstein do a shock/spring kit for the VR4 :-b . I have checked and double checked and it appears to be correct. Here is some info.

The kit is a B12 kit (part no: SE5-8841) and the blurb reads like this:

"Four high-performance shock absorbers with springs from a single source. Optimally tuned in road tests, and available at a favourable package price.

The formula for pure driving enjoyment is very simple: 4 x B8 Sprint + 4 x springs = the BILSTEIN B12 Tuning Kit. Highly efficient shock absorbers and springs from a single source, optimally tuned in road tests, first-class BILSTEIN quality: and all this at an unbeatable package price. "

It appears that the kit lowers the car by 30mm all round too. Below is a pic of the Bilstein catalogue showing the VR4 entry, so it looks good to me. The B6 and B8 listings are just shocks only, the B8's being shortened ones for lowered cars - and they are the ones that come in the B12 kit with the springs.

KiwiTT
05-10-2004, 04:19 AM
Bilstein has a good name. Worth doing with them.

-LegnumVR4-
05-10-2004, 05:47 AM
King Spring do a set for the Legnum/Galant VR4. Friend had them made for his car.

Spirit
05-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Right, a call has been made to the UK distributor (Euro Car Parts), and as expected it's not a kit they have a price for so they are going to speak to Germany and find out price/availability. Will update once I know ;)

Spirit
05-10-2004, 09:07 AM
King Spring do a set for the Legnum/Galant VR4. Friend had them made for his car.

Yeah, we had a thread going about them too - would imagine the issue would again be shipping costs so will come back to this if the Bilstein option is a non-starter ;)

Rally205
05-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Bilstein are extremely good and very high quality. I use them on the rally car and I have never broken one yet!! :lipsrseal

Rally205
05-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Just had a quick look on the web and seems that the kit is 540 euros. Not bad really.

Spirit
05-10-2004, 11:49 AM
Not bad at all, considering the Tein springs are likely to be £250 area at least and I already need two rear shocks (which are £85 each) so £420 outlay anyhow.

Just wonder what the distributors price will be once he has added "Special Order" fees to it :dozey:

stonegr
05-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Another Suspension Option by Skunk2 here :

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/performance/index.php?makeid=mi&model=galant&year=2000&part=coilover_kit&part_brand=skunk_2

Coilover Kit, Adjustable, Complete With Threaded Aluminum Sleeves, Racing Springs And Mounting Hardware, Up To 3 Drop.

Spirit
07-10-2004, 02:45 PM
Okay, just got the call and the deed is done !

The cost of the kit, delivered to my door is £491 :lipsrseal

There was only ONE kit left in Germany so I placed my order there and then and it will be with me in the next 7-10 days :-b

I said to the guy that there may be others interested and the fact I have bought the last one would just mean that Bilstein would make them as and when they receive an order for them - but of course this may take a few weeks rather than a few days.

Polabear
07-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Okay, just got the call and the deed is done !

The cost of the kit, delivered to my door is £491 :lipsrseal

There was only ONE kit left in Germany so I placed my order there and then and it will be with me in the next 7-10 days :-b

I said to the guy that there may be others interested and the fact I have bought the last one would just mean that Bilstein would make them as and when they receive an order for them - but of course this may take a few weeks rather than a few days.

Glad you got it sorted out mate..... ;)

Roadrunner
07-10-2004, 04:34 PM
I agree with comments regarding Bilstein being excellent dampers, just beware of the cost! My Legacy RS-B (B for Bilstein ;) ) needed to have the rear dampers changed and they cost £400 + VAT + fitting for each side! which meant I didn't get much change from £1,100 for fitting two dampers! :scared1:

Brian

Lurch
08-10-2004, 03:00 PM
$300-$400NZD through mag and turbo to lower any car.