PDA

View Full Version : Turbo whistle

BraindG
14-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Over the last month or so i noticed an increase in turbo whistle, it was usually very vocal around 1800 rpm, I wasn't to worried so didn't investigate it any further as 9/10 its a non isisue.

But. as well as this is had two other symptoms.

A) When stamping the throttle I'd lose all power, with a big car jerk - taking foot off throttle and reapplying would see the power return.
B) I also had this increasing whooshing noise when accelerating, like the window was open a wee bit.

Turns out, I had a large split along one of my flexi pipes. It appears that the flexi pipe was rubbing off a metal surface over by the power steering fluid bottle, the mesh on the pipe wasn't really that worn but squeezing the pipe definitely gave the game away.

This was replaced (thanks Karl) and would you believe it, no turbo whistle, no whooshing noises and a shed load more power.

Result.

/toycar

foxdie
14-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Happy ending :)

richy rich
14-02-2011, 11:04 AM
cool Ive been thinking is it a good idea to do a boost leek finding day.

Nick Mann
14-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Defo a good idea. Nutters day seemed to go well last year - maybe do one a bit further north this year?

foxdie
14-02-2011, 11:14 AM
North as in at yours north? Or Sheffield'ish north?

richy rich
14-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Id do it at mine but i just dont have the space.

Nick Mann
14-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Don't mind!

Maybe combine it with the midlands rolling road day?

And sorry, Barry, I never said "Storming result!" in my previous post. :P

foxdie
14-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Maybe combine it with the midlands rolling road day?

Bloody good idea :)

richy rich
14-02-2011, 11:32 AM
ill bring the compressor

Davidian Filth
25-03-2011, 04:31 AM
please put me on the list ,would like to see whats wrong ,as something is wrong defo . Also my front tyres , F1 from China looks wrong ,but I will show you that on saturday .

jahooli
04-06-2011, 12:20 AM
i have a whistle at low speeds and low revs, any ideas?
thanks

VR4WGN
05-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Happy ending :)
man i was nose and scanned your code lol... funny

Kryton
29-04-2012, 04:02 PM
I have a similar problem as my car now sounds like its got a supercharger when accelerating under boost. I have just fitted a hard pipe kit & down pipes & checked for leaks without any success. Is this likely to be that I am not looking hard enough or is it just that the tubs are now louder because of the downpipes? The car is boosting far better than before when there was no whistle so i'm confused :rolleyes3

Wodjno
29-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Hardpipes will make the Turbo Whistle more apparent. Mine whistles also, but peaking at 17.5psi :2thumbsup I don't think I have much of a boost leak :rolleyes3
Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Kryton
29-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Cool, I will blame the down pipes then. Thanks :)

andyleaves
25-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Over the last month or so i noticed an increase in turbo whistle, it was usually very vocal around 1800 rpm, I wasn't to worried so didn't investigate it any further as 9/10 its a non isisue.

But. as well as this is had two other symptoms.

A) When stamping the throttle I'd lose all power, with a big car jerk - taking foot off throttle and reapplying would see the power return.
B) I also had this increasing whooshing noise when accelerating, like the window was open a wee bit.

Turns out, I had a large split along one of my flexi pipes. It appears that the flexi pipe was rubbing off a metal surface over by the power steering fluid bottle, the mesh on the pipe wasn't really that worn but squeezing the pipe definitely gave the game away.

This was replaced (thanks Karl) and would you believe it, no turbo whistle, no whooshing noises and a shed load more power.

Result.

/toycar

i just had this today as well squeeky bum moment...

Barry what pipe was it?

Was really sh~*ing mwself this morning on the way to work. thought I had killed the gear box and engine...

andyleaves
26-08-2012, 03:52 PM
57339 Whilst checking all of the pipe, I could not find any split ones, in fact they all seemed quite good all the weave looked neat and tidy no sign's of rubbing anywhere, this pipe felt a little softer than all of the others when squeezed. Even after taking it off to have a look could not find any signs of a split of hole....

57340 I took a pic of this, I am hardly putting any pressure on the pipe to push it in?
Should it be this soft?
Could this be the one that is causing my versons of this?