PDA

View Full Version : Total super unleaded-what octane?

nick-f1
05-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Hi Guys on the way home from chertsey last night was desperate for fuel before the motorway so pulled into the total station by chertsey bridge and put in £25 worth of their super. I dont know if it was my imaginaton or what but she sure seemed to have a lot more oomphf than usual on the way home. I usually fill up with optimax or sainsburies(97octane), but this total stuff sure beats the pants off both.So I'm wondering what the octane of this stuff is and if anyone else has found this?

Regards

Nick

Legnum Boy
05-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Im sure our local total garage advertises 98 RON on the pumps, as it did catch my eye once....(filling up the GTI)

Not tried it though, as the optimax at my local Shell is cheaper. ;)

rikward
05-10-2004, 04:04 PM
When the stuff first came on the market, the standard was 98. If I recall, the old 4-star used to be 97. But you're right, Super varies between 97 and 98 depending on the garage.

I do not know if the octane level depends on supplier (i.e. Shell, BP, Jet etc) as I havn't paid a blind bit a notice. But since you've started this thread, I ill be sad enough to start taking notes on of the garages and suppliers from now on. I'll post the reslts in a week or two..

nick-f1
05-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Well the old girl certainly likes the stuff I swear it was running better today. It didn't say what octane it was on the pump although it was an old one with rollover thingies with stickers on if you know what I mean. Next time I pass that garage I'll ask the attendant, I must admit I check what it is I'm putting in the tank, usually esso around here as it all comes out of fawley up the road a bit, certainly most sainsburies outlets are. By the way checkout your local sainburies fuel prices- Poole/Branksome is .78.9p only a penny dearer than unleaded and Ferndown is 79.9p two pence dearer. A big saving on optimax which is usually 85-86.9p. Ok call me sad but every penny saved means more fuel! especially with the VR4's appetite.

Roadrunner
05-10-2004, 09:45 PM
The octane level at the pump is determined by the additives put in by the respective oil companies.

Each tanker, whether it says Shell, BP, Esso, Total, or whatever on the sides, fills up at the same refinery - the nearest one to the locality. So, for where I live in Scotland, for example, every tanker fills up at the BP refinery at Grangemouth.

There will only be two base octane ratings going into the tanker: either 95 or 97, depending on whether it's Normal Unleaded or Super. Any difference in perceived performance must be down to the additives that each oil company instructs its tanker drivers to add at the petrol station. I don't know how scientific the measurement will be, but assume the drivers are instructed on how much additive to put in per litre/100 litres/1000 litres, or whatever.

AFAIK, Super Unleaded has a BS Kitemark which means that it must meet some standard or other, Optimax doesn't but is said by Shell to be around 98.6 RON. Others will be either equal to, or somewhat higher than 97 RON, so it's quite possible that Total could be 98.

If it works, use it! (but I'll still avoid supermarket petrol 'cos it doesn't get the additives ;) )

SGHOM
05-10-2004, 09:56 PM
. Any difference in perceived performance must be down to the additives that each oil company instructs its tanker drivers to add at the petrol station. I don't know how scientific the measurement will be, but assume the drivers are instructed on how much additive to put in per litre/100 litres/1000 litres, or whatever.

)
I can assure you that no addatives are added at the petrol station !! I used to own one, & we carefully monitored everything the driver did right down to the last drop of petrol deposited in the holding tanks. [ I'll not tell you about me swapping leaded/unleaded tanks each week, depending on sales !! :$ :$ :lipsrseal ]

I never could understand why my customers prefered my petrol, when the whole of south yorkshire/derbyshire was supplied from the same refinery !!!! :rolleyes5 :rolleyes5

nick-f1
05-10-2004, 10:59 PM
(but I'll still avoid supermarket petrol 'cos it doesn't get the additives ;) )

Nah those days are gone! Relatively cheap russian fuel coming into milford haven etc for tescos etc is a thing of the past. All fuel comes from two refineries in the uk........ Bp at milford and fawley near me at southampton. All the rest are just holding depots, the only exception is texaco/ chevron stations whose fuel is all shipped in from abroad as petrol/diesel whatever, already refined hence why no super unleaded.( they dont have it in the States). My neighbour works for Exxon as a chemical anylyst and says all fuel has sold wherever has meet the same standards or higher including additives, he gave me this info.

Jimbo
05-10-2004, 11:02 PM
Ok, I'm confused... :stars:

Are we saying that all super-unleaded the exact same thing then? Or is Optimax just a different source at the refinery to say, Esso? If not, and if no additives are put into the mixing pot, then how come the RON value is subtely different and how can Shell claim their petrol was developed with Ferrari and contains cleaning properties?

Somebody tell me what it's all about as I'm tempted to save 6 miles of petrol per tank by going to a BP garage instead of Shell :laugh:

nick-f1
05-10-2004, 11:09 PM
Ok, I'm confused... :stars:

Are we saying that all super-unleaded the exact same thing then? :laugh:

Basically yes, they all have the same base additives to reach the required standards set and to protect your engine . But the likes of shell and bp supposedly add extras to improve their fuel over other brands, but most independant tests have proved there is not much difference between them apart from octane differences.

Remember the problems shell had when they first introduced optimax? And were sued by vauxhall? Burnt valves and cylinder heads all over the country.

Roadrunner
06-10-2004, 12:24 AM
I can assure you that no addatives are added at the petrol station !!
So where does Shell Optimax petrol gain the additives that makes it 98+RON? At the BP refinery? As the tanker is being filled at the BP refinery? Or somewhere else? :headsc:

I used to own one
Selling what brand? The bog standard stuff straight from the refinery meets the British Standard so it's fine but, as I've asked above, where do the main brand names add their special brew to differentiate their fuel from the bog standard stuff?

Nah those days are gone!
No they're not. Unless you know that supermarket fuel is supplied by one of the main brands and therefore gains the respective additives. I still ain't touching it ;)

Nick Mann
06-10-2004, 09:52 AM
....the only exception is texaco/ chevron stations whose fuel is all shipped in from abroad as petrol/diesel whatever, already refined hence why no super unleaded....

Texaco do super unleaded. It is priced out of the market, though, regularly 10p or more a litre than premium.

nick-f1
06-10-2004, 06:03 PM
Texaco do super unleaded. It is priced out of the market, though, regularly 10p or more a litre than premium.

Well I have never seen texaco super unleaded ever myself and not for wont of looking, but as I said I got my info from a neighbour who is a high-up in Exxon. And to Brian H7 Sainsburies locally to me is either esso or bp and the one I use at staines when there is Shell!

Roadrunner
06-10-2004, 06:55 PM
Sainsburies locally to me is either esso or bp and the one I use at staines when there is Shell!
That's not supermarket petrol then! I refer to the stuff that's branded Tesco, Safeway, Asda or similar. That is supermarket petrol ;)

Louis
06-10-2004, 08:10 PM
Hi,
I have been using Q8 filling stations, there are quite a few in and around Glasgow and the west coast. I used shell optimax and the RON number on the pump was 97 RON, the Q8 super unleaded has a 98RON number, but I believe that the optimax additives lubricate the engine, a bit like carb cleaners and injector treatments.
Way back when I was a lad etc there was two star and three star as well as four star, and strange as it may seem, the two star had a higher octane rating, but less additives, and I remember that people used to mix, ie four star and then top up tank with the higher octane two star. Anyhoo I find the Q8 stuff works for me, cheers Louis

Wodjno
06-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Hi,
I have been using Q8 filling stations, there are quite a few in and around Glasgow and the west coast. I used shell optimax and the RON number on the pump was 97 RON, the Q8 super unleaded has a 98RON number, but I believe that the optimax additives lubricate the engine, a bit like carb cleaners and injector treatments.
Way back when I was a lad etc there was two star and three star as well as four star, and strange as it may seem, the two star had a higher octane rating, but less additives, and I remember that people used to mix, ie four star and then top up tank with the higher octane two star. Anyhoo I find the Q8 stuff works for me, cheers Louis
Hi Louis .. what price is the petrol from Q8 compared to Optimax .. I am thinking of going over to super unleadd cos i have a q8 near me .. Then like i used to do with every tankful on porevious cars , stick 25ml of additive in .. It's about 6.50 a bottle and that does for 20 fillups .. This i think will do the same as th Optimax and also then be a higher octane rating and also save money ..

nick-f1
06-10-2004, 11:21 PM
That's not supermarket petrol then! I refer to the stuff that's branded Tesco, Safeway, Asda or similar. That is supermarket petrol ;)

No it aint! Go in and ask who supplies their petrol, if you see a tanker filling up talk to them! Some attendants aint a clue others will give you a small leaflet etc, We aint in the stone age any more!!!!!!! Supermarket petrol whatever its branded is supplied by the big three......... esso, shell or BP!!!!!! With the relevant brand additives, its against the law to sell any different!
Unless you shop at some crap stores such as Lidl's or the like! :laugh: :rolleyes5

Pete M
07-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Hmm, at least you get the choice between 95, 97 and 98. Here in New Zealand the standard fuel is 91, Super is 96 and certain places in the North Island have Optimax or BP Ultimate. The South Island, where I am, doesn't have Optimax at all. Something about insufficient bulk storage tanks for another variety. Still, the Legnum seems to run OK on 96, and that's the best it can get.

PM

wirdy
07-10-2004, 09:51 PM
Remember the problems shell had when they first introduced optimax? And were sued by vauxhall? Burnt valves and cylinder heads all over the country.

Yep, I fondly remember the "Formula Shell" sunvisor strip on my Marina :-D

Louis
08-10-2004, 09:59 AM
Hi Louis .. what price is the petrol from Q8 compared to Optimax .. I am thinking of going over to super unleadd cos i have a q8 near me .. Then like i used to do with every tankful on porevious cars , stick 25ml of additive in .. It's about 6.50 a bottle and that does for 20 fillups .. This i think will do the same as th Optimax and also then be a higher octane rating and also save money ..

Hi,
I am not sure of the price of optimax but the Q8 super unleaded was 89p I will check and get back to you. I also carry a couple of bottles of octane booster (costs about £2.00 for a two tank treatment) in case I get caught out anywhere with no high octane feul, but I find the Q8 stuff good, cheers Louis

Wodjno
08-10-2004, 02:28 PM
Hi,
I am not sure of the price of optimax but the Q8 super unleaded was 89p I will check and get back to you. I also carry a couple of bottles of octane booster (costs about £2.00 for a two tank treatment) in case I get caught out anywhere with no high octane feul, but I find the Q8 stuff good, cheers Louis
Thanks for that Louis .. shan't be filling up this weekend with Q8 or Optimax .. It will be pure "COOL BLUE" of which i have about 20 litres of in my garage from the last trip to Santa Pod .. Well it will be nearly pure Cool blue if i can empty my tank enuff b4 sunday .. Filled up about a week ago and aint been anywhere much so still got half a tank .. oh well out 4 a few blats to use it up .. :lipsrseal :rolleyes5 :D