PDA

View Full Version : Increased power - use of Octane Boost?

chris g
05-10-2004, 01:13 PM
I was wondering with the number of owners increasing power output and pushing car/turbo performance, how many people are using Octane Boost?

Polabear
05-10-2004, 01:46 PM
I was wondering with the number of owners increasing power output and pushing car/turbo performance, how many people are using Octane Boost?

Not Me... :)

Roadrunner
05-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole ... bad experience with previous car.

chris g
05-10-2004, 03:37 PM
I think the advice on the cans IIRC is NOT to use where a cat is still part of exhaust system

Roadrunner
05-10-2004, 09:52 PM
According to Millers Oils (http://www.millersoils.net/pdf_downloads/Millers_octane.pdf), Millers Octane Plus is "for continuous use in road cars with catalysts".

I'm still not touching it again, even though I don't have a cat ... :uhoh:

chris g
05-10-2004, 11:03 PM
Maybe I didn't recall correctly but I still thought some of these products were for car-free cars

However, such additives are recommended by some tuners when pushing the engine/turbo in a jap car that is used to 100 octane

Roadrunner
06-10-2004, 12:32 AM
such additives are recommended by some tuners when pushing the engine/turbo in a jap car that is used to 100 octane
Caveat emptor. I know other tuners who won't touch it with my barge pole. It was an octane booster that was reckoned to be the most likely cause of the contamination of the lambda sensor on my Legacy RS-B. Could have been something else (duff batch of petrol, for example) but this was deemed unlikely as I always used Esso SUL at the time.

enigma
06-10-2004, 07:47 AM
Dont use octane boost myself as it is not worth the money, it will increase your octane level by only a few points..................

ie from 97 to 97.4 or so........waste of money!

If you want the good stuff use Cool Blue when you want some fun! It wont really increase the performance in itself but it will enable you to run more boost much more safely as it will help lower the chances of detonation.

I always use Optimax or Ultimate and dont tend to push really hard on the roads for extended periods.......maybe the odd traffic light GP and the like!