PDA

View Full Version : LPG update

rikward
05-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Further to my initial enquiries regarding LPG conversion, I have spoken to a couple of garages that have serviced LPG converted cars.

There verdict: do NOT bother :stop:

The chaps I spoke to both said simular things. That is, engines (particularly high performance engines) such as the Legnum run very hot. LPG ups the running temperature which means the fans work overtime and do not offer much assistance. So what does this mean financially?

To have the intial work done means approx: £2000. "Ouch!"
LPG costs approx £0.35, 98 oct is approx £0.89 "Nice"
Servicing? But the engine would have to be serviced more regularly. So more cost.

In a nut shell, you probably don't save any money, you knacker your engine and it smells wierd (LPG's do smell odd!)

nick-f1
05-10-2004, 08:51 PM
Further to my initial enquiries regarding LPG conversion, I have spoken to a couple of garages that have serviced LPG converted cars.

There verdict: do NOT bother :stop:

Yes this seems to be the concensus of opinion down my way, let alone that you end up with bu**er all boot space 'cos of the tanks and every single conversion outfit in bournemouth/poole has gone bust within a very short period leaving your guarantees worthless. I looked at it for my boat engine ( a thirsty 307 v8) and in 3 years of looking lpg has almost doubled in price. :sad3: