PDA

View Full Version : What's going on!!

Brad_Colbert
18-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Can someone please tell me if they have experienced this or know what my gearbox is doing. I will be cruising in my auto legnum at say between 60-70 kmph and it is in drive at 5 gear. The vehicle will come to a hill and I will maintain the same acceleration or apply throttle gentally (like a nanna) and the gearbox will seem to "kick down" a gear and the engine revs jump up. Sometimes as much as 1000 revs. But on the dashboard it is still showing that it is in 5th gear. Any other time when I do accelerate harder, it kicks down and displays 4th or 3rd depending on my amount of acceleration. I can't work it out!

lathiat
18-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Might be the torque converter unlocking?

CANDEE
18-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Might be the torque converter unlocking?

Pretty much this.... Nothing to worry about. :)

Nick Mann
18-02-2011, 10:07 AM
As above. The torque converter locks in 4th and 5th under light load. When medium load is needed it starts slipping again so the development rise. When high load is needed it will kick down properly.

All perfectly normal!

Brad_Colbert
18-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Oh...one of my friends who owns a Ford sorta mentioned that it could the torque converter. Thanks everyone for your replies. Wher can I go to read up about torque converters and specifically on legnums? I want to know how they work and what they do!! Please excuse my ignorance. This is my first auto transmittion.

Mark 4
18-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Just google it.

Eurospec
18-02-2011, 05:13 PM
You will find limited information specifically for legnums, but the rebuild manuals are out there and there is pleanty of general stuff about how a torque converter works. Its basically a big set of water wheels and when you spin it to a certain speed you get a hydraulic lock. Its one of those wierd science really cleaver really simple things!

Cheers,

Ben.

Brad_Colbert
19-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks!! I have done some reading on it now.