PDA

View Full Version : My car is at the Doctors

dickytim
06-10-2004, 06:43 AM
I put my car thru for a WOF yesterday to find to my horror, it has started to chew out my Powersteering belt, any way after looking at it and not liking the way the power steering pull was moving turned it off got a long screw driver and pushed on the pully, damn it, it moved in and out by a good 5-10mm, so off the Ralliart to see an old friend of Dads, and sure enought looks like a new power steering pump is going to be needed, than god for my Autosure so it si only going to cost me $250 for the excess + belts and power steering fluid. Oh well could have been worse it could have spat the belt into the timing cover in the middle of nowhere.

Big Ian
06-10-2004, 10:33 AM
this look's like the same fault that a few member's have had lately?
power steer belt's have been a topic on other part's of the site,some (me) have had to replace the crank shaft pulley also as this has been showen to be another faulty part which has caused bother with belt's?

Nick Mann
06-10-2004, 01:22 PM
As Ian says - see HERE (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5428)

dickytim
06-10-2004, 07:18 PM
Thankyou Nick, I did read those threads before I put mine up, from what I could tell it looked like a different pully, hence a different problem, or solution to. Just the same out come, a stuffed belt. :sad3:

Pete M
06-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Interesting, I must have a good look at my power steering belt. A few weeks ago I noticed a small spot of oil on the garage floor. After checking lots of things I came to the conclusion that it was from the right hand steering rack boot. I had a good feel around under there and cleared some gravel away from the suspension but couldn't see anything conclusive. The power steering fluid level had gone down about half an inch too. I topped it up with Dexron III fluid I keep for the gearbox and decided to keep an eye on it. Well it's done some long trips lately and the level hasn't gone down and the leak has stopped. Most unusual, but everything seems fine. Did 400 miles over the weekend, and didn't use anything, oil, water, p/s fluid, gearbox etc.
It's going in for a gearbox flush soon, which should improve the oil colour from reddish brown to red.
As an aside, I found that with our 100km/h limit and 10km/h leeway, 110km/h is a very difficult speed to maintain. It feels like the engine is just getting on boost, and is always trying to get to 120km/h. Even when you ease pressure on the accelerator, it takes a long time for the speed to drop. Result: NZD 80 speed fine for 115km/h. Radar speed trap at the bottom of a gentle hill. Advice from police officer: "well you could have used the brake pedal" Grrrr. Also demerit points are now 20 for that offence, up from 15.

i3ooyah
06-10-2004, 11:28 PM
i recently had mine done as well, cost me $85 from a MTA mechanic

dickytim
07-10-2004, 05:50 AM
Got word, the play is normal some moron just never put the belt on properly.

-LegnumVR4-
07-10-2004, 08:03 AM
Interesting, I must have a good look at my power steering belt. A few weeks ago I noticed a small spot of oil on the garage floor. After checking lots of things I came to the conclusion that it was from the right hand steering rack boot. I had a good feel around under there and cleared some gravel away from the suspension but couldn't see anything conclusive. The power steering fluid level had gone down about half an inch too. I topped it up with Dexron III fluid I keep for the gearbox and decided to keep an eye on it. Well it's done some long trips lately and the level hasn't gone down and the leak has stopped. Most unusual, but everything seems fine. Did 400 miles over the weekend, and didn't use anything, oil, water, p/s fluid, gearbox etc.
It's going in for a gearbox flush soon, which should improve the oil colour from reddish brown to red.
As an aside, I found that with our 100km/h limit and 10km/h leeway, 110km/h is a very difficult speed to maintain. It feels like the engine is just getting on boost, and is always trying to get to 120km/h. Even when you ease pressure on the accelerator, it takes a long time for the speed to drop. Result: NZD 80 speed fine for 115km/h. Radar speed trap at the bottom of a gentle hill. Advice from police officer: "well you could have used the brake pedal" Grrrr. Also demerit points are now 20 for that offence, up from 15.

Hehe, u like having fun with the police Pete :D

Let know how the trans flush and fluid change goes. Thinking of doing that myself later.

chris
07-10-2004, 08:37 AM
you,re right Pete about the speed problem. i got done the other week for 26k over 35 demerit points on top of the 20 i got in my Gt Legacy. The both just dont like sitting at 100k. 120 is perfect but expensive. I have to be very careful now. having competition with my sister, she is at 75 points. a mate has got a skyline, 34R it's the same.