PDA

View Full Version : How often to change axle oil on VR4 ?

F430-Monza
06-10-2004, 11:11 PM
Hello to all,

I have been told that as an owner of a 8G VR4, one have to change the axle oil on time or else there will be premature wear and tear !

Is this true ?

What is the correct service period for this particular item ?

Thanks

nick-f1
06-10-2004, 11:29 PM
Hello to all,

I have been told that as an owner of a 8G VR4, one have to change the axle oil on time or else there will be premature wear and tear !

Is this true ?

What is the correct service period for this particular item ?

Thanks

Not sure what you mean by axle oil! If you mean the rear diff then yes you need to get it changed at 9k miles intervals and no longer. Or else you will have very expensive problems to put right. This is the AYC diff and the plates are under extreme pressure even in a straight line and the additives in the lubricant break down very quickly. Get it done at your dealer sooner rather later if unsure of your cars service history you can do it yourself but not advisable unless you can buy the proper fluid from your mitsi dealer. It is not an atf fluid one can buy off the shelf of halfrauds!

F430-Monza
07-10-2004, 04:40 PM
Not sure what you mean by axle oil! If you mean the rear diff then yes you need to get it changed at 9k miles intervals and no longer. Or else you will have very expensive problems to put right. This is the AYC diff and the plates are under extreme pressure even in a straight line and the additives in the lubricant break down very quickly. Get it done at your dealer sooner rather later if unsure of your cars service history you can do it yourself but not advisable unless you can buy the proper fluid from your mitsi dealer. It is not an atf fluid one can buy off the shelf of halfrauds!

My car though a 8G VR4 does not have AYC system but still a 4WD.

So I think I will get the car to have the rear diff oil changed ASAP !

May I know what are the signs of a failing rear diff due to irregular oil change ?

Thanks

F430-Monza
07-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Reason why I need to check with experts here is due to the fact that I'm hearing slight "whining" sound when I'm doing 62mph and above and wonder if that comes from the rear axle, wheel bearing or just due to the 18 inch rims and 225/40 tyre combo !
Can those in the know please help with answers ?
Thanks

nick-f1
08-10-2004, 07:59 PM
Hi, could be any of those, but if only slight whine and is from rear diff i would not think its too serious. But as I said before if unsure get it checked out by your local dealer or TRUSTED garage. Hope all goes well

Regards

Nick

F430-Monza
08-10-2004, 11:06 PM
Hi, could be any of those, but if only slight whine and is from rear diff i would not think its too serious. But as I said before if unsure get it checked out by your local dealer or TRUSTED garage. Hope all goes well

Regards

Nick

Thanks Nick....just wonder whetehr it's the tyres or the rear differential...
I will definitely get my local service advicer to take a look at the whining sound to get it sorted asap.

dickytim
09-10-2004, 05:34 AM
I get a whining when I floor mine around a corner, the solution I found was to build a really loud stereo and turn it up, noise is gone :rolleyes5

F430-Monza
14-10-2004, 10:25 PM
I get a whining when I floor mine around a corner, the solution I found was to build a really loud stereo and turn it up, noise is gone :rolleyes5

Better send your car for a thorough checkup my friend...