PDA

View Full Version : Steering not centering

SNWVR4
24-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Hey there.

Just picked up my 96 Legnum VR4 and knocked the price down due to a steering issue. The wheel will not centre itself. I took it to my mechanic mate and he said it could be rack, pump or ball joints.

In my previous experience with cars I've noticed characteristic problems with certain models and definitive fixes. I was just curious if this was one of them with the legnum?

Also, the car has had after market adjustable suspension and larger brakes on the front, all certified since 2003. The day before I got it he raised it up 25mm in the front to bring it back to the legaly certified level. Does it possibly just need an alignment? He did not do one at the time(idiot)

I just want to say this site has been great in the week or so I've been a member. Alot of helpfull people, and thanks to anyone who replies, in advance.

Confused
24-02-2011, 10:04 PM
If the suspension was aligned when it was lowered, then it's possible that now it's gone up by 25mm, it's thrown all your geometry out.

lancerevo3
25-02-2011, 12:13 AM
If the suspension was aligned when it was lowered, then it's possible that now it's gone up by 25mm, it's thrown all your geometry out.

i would agree

SNWVR4
25-02-2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Went down for an alignment and it's alot better. also noticed the p/s fluid was over filled so i fiiiiiiiiinaly made a proper fluid extractor(needed this 10 cars ago) out of a sauce bottle and some vacuum hose and bought it down to the correct level.

So the steerings alot better, but that only means it needs one hand to correct back to center after a corner instead of two. Next up, power steering pump. Oh but first the belt, cos it looks old and I'd hate to think it just wasn't grippping the pulley enough after I go replacing everything!

Davezj
25-02-2011, 09:35 AM
my first thought was abignment, did they do a full wheel geometry check as it is not just toe in/out thet need checking, it is camber, and caster. but if all of that has been checked out and is correct then you might want to consider the following.

are you getting any assistance with the steering at all. if you not getting any assistance then the power steering pump is probably broken they are not very robust on these cars.

if the belt is slipping it usually squeels.

SNWVR4
25-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Yeah I hadn't heard the belt squelling, looking for easy answers I guess. Kidding myself haha.

It was a proper full alignment.

I am getting assistance with the steering but not alot. It's not as if it doesnt kind of want to go back to the centre it's just needing a hand to get there. Pump it is, no big drama, just have to look for one now :)

bradc
26-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Could also be a lower ball joint, they sometimes make the steering feel quite funny.

BEG4ME
26-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Could also be a lower ball joint, they sometimes make the steering feel quite funny.

Have had cases at work where a lower ball joint is dry and therefor the problem. Check by removing both tie rod ends off the hub and see how easy it is to turn each wheel, at the wheel. Might find one is harder to turn the the other.

SNWVR4
06-03-2011, 12:45 AM
That is awesome advice, will check today. Thanks heaps

Oblivion
07-03-2011, 08:32 AM

If you've had an alignment done already then definitely check this, my steering went stiff just before I had a ball joint fail.

vr4v6
08-03-2011, 01:58 PM
my steering was pulling to the left and the steering wheel was not centered at all, centered the wheel my self , disconnect the battery, undo the two star bolts on right and left side of the wheel, disconnect the airbag ,use a 18m socket to take of the wheel , but make sure you have the steering straight on the wheels, then pop on the wheel strainght and tighting up the bolts then airbags,and connect the battery,,,

safe way """"""
make sure u disconnect the battery first then airbag,connect the battery after u connect the airbag , if not it could go off and could break your neck lol

The Vee
08-03-2011, 05:43 PM
As others have said, check very carefully the lower ball joints of the straight arm. They do seize and will stiffen the steering. If this is the case then failure is assured and this needs to be avoided at all costs!